Beechwood

Syntner online Auctions

Hi all and a happy new yar to you all,

Some of you may recall  Ihave posted about getting back into the game having had a lay off for the past few years and have ben running a another busines, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on Syntner on line auction, as I have been trying to buy a few bits on there.   It seems virtually impossible to buy anything on there, you always seem to get outbid by a first time bidder that comes in from no where  in the last couple of seconds making it impossible for you to bid again even if you wanted to, as most of the prices are ridiculous anyway could anyone shed some light on the subject for me me on how they are doing this thanks.

Shill bidding on an employee! Probably dont want to let it go for a low price.. what regulations govern these places running such auctions.... Seems the indie trader market is there to be milked (again) :blink:

Everyone I know bids last few seconds. Sytner is no different than Dealer Auction etc. Too many people on there and many working on small margins. I can’t remember the last time I won something on Sytner. 

There is a program called ‘snipe’ that bids last fraction of a second for you on eBay, but I don’t think it works on Sytner etc. Shill bidding? Who knows. I do know they can see everything that’s going on and what your highest bid is as it’s ‘their’ system after all, so I wouldn’t be surprised. 

Thats what I was thinking Mark, however I looked and can only find Sniper software that will only work on Ebay and nothing else.

15 minutes ago, Beechwood said:

Thats what I was thinking Mark, however I looked and can only find Sniper software that will only work on Ebay and nothing else.

It's easy enough (on Ebay anyway) to manually do it, especially since Ebay put the countdown timer on.  Previously, I used to put my watch on the desk next to me and bid in the final second.

I did that because I was once bidding on a boat, placed my highest bid and went out for a BBQ convinced it would be in my basket.  I was outbid by about £25 in the final few seconds and didn't have the time to react, I was gutted.  That was back in the very early days of Ebay - now I don't buy or sell much on there apart from the odd office requirements.

Don't use Sytner Online, so not sure whether you can see how many seconds are left.

Edited by Mark101

12 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

...... I do know they can see everything that’s going on and what your highest bid is as it’s ‘their’ system after all, so I wouldn’t be surprised. 

I'd imagine that all auction houses do the same. Bca/manheim must be able to see from their website what lots are getting the most views and what lots are being 'watched'. They can adjust their reserves accordingly using this info?

15 minutes ago, Beechwood said:

Tend to agree, used auctionsniper on ebay for years.. fire and forget!

Just now, Area 51 said:

Tend to agree, used auctionsniper on ebay for years.. fire and forget!

What happens when everyone is 'sniping'? Is there 'super sniper'?

• Like 2

Just now, met said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  I also don't believe it is as accurate as manually bidding.  I think it does it with a few seconds remaining rather than THE last second.

• Like 1

No, pretty sure it’s literally last second or so Snipe. A friend of mine uses it and has had some success on eBay. 

I just bid last seven seconds or so as I’ve tripped myself up trying to be clever in the past. 

14 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

No, pretty sure it’s literally last second or so Snipe. A friend of mine uses it and has had some success on eBay. 

I just bid last seven seconds or so as I’ve tripped myself up trying to be clever in the past. 

Yeah but eventually everyone will use sniping software, who wins? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, met said:

It will only bid in the last 3 seconds from memory, it is based in California closer to the ebay servers, so you need to load your best and final bid in and then it should do the business, unless someone wants it more than you that is..! If I have a price in mind I am prepared to pay, then I will put that in and walk away.. On the whole I'd say I'm happy when the bid is won in my favour.. when I'm outbid, on reflection I'm not unhappy as I had based my bid on what I was prepared to pay/valued something at.. Won quite a few Xmas presents this way, worked a treat and meant Xmas budget when further and on more stuff I knew family wanted from their Santa list...

Shopping for cars.. hohumm.. caveat emptor :huh:

52 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  I also don't believe it is as accurate as manually bidding.  I think it does it with a few seconds remaining rather than THE last second.

Agree with all comments, my only thoughts on relying on the finger is this Mark, what if the internet connection has a hiccup or doesnt refresh as you want.... In a lot of instances, ebay now own the bloody auction software that can be used on their website!! Now where have we heard of a greedy vertical market before... Wonder if they (ebay) will introduce bidding on gumtree any time soon?

I suppose when everyone is eventually using sniping software instead of manual bidding, 

22 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

It will only bid in the last 3 seconds from memory, it is based in California closer to the ebay servers, so you need to load your best and final bid in and then it should do the business, unless someone wants it more than you that is..! If I have a price in mind I am prepared to pay, then I will put that in and walk away.. On the whole I'd say I'm happy when the bid is won in my favour.. when I'm outbid, on reflection I'm not unhappy as I had based my bid on what I was prepared to pay/valued something at.. Won quite a few Xmas presents this way, worked a treat and meant Xmas budget when further and on more stuff I knew family wanted from their Santa list...

Shopping for cars.. hohumm.. caveat emptor :huh:

Agree with all comments, my only thoughts on relying on the finger is this Mark, what if the internet connection has a hiccup or doesnt refresh as you want.... In a lot of

Yes, i understand how sniping software works. My question is if more than one person is bidding on the same item and they are all using sniping software what decides who wins? What makes one sniping bidder faster than another? 

3 minutes ago, met said:

I suppose when everyone is eventually using sniping software instead of manual bidding, 

Yes, i understand how sniping software works. My question is if more than one person is bidding on the same item and they are all using sniping software what decides who wins? What makes one sniping bidder faster than another? 

I have seen multiple sniper bids go in at the last second, its the highest amount that secures the deal in my experience

my fear with online bidding is the hex details are kept on every transaction whether you win or not and they can work out to a shoe size how much you might be willing to bid up to so the system takes you there

did man land on the moon really  by the way:D

• Like 1

Been a member of Sytner Auction for over 5 yrs and i only ever brought 2 items but wanted to buy  and have looked  at cars i would like to buy into the hundreds, Everything thats good stock with all the right tick boxes got well over the Cap clean figures, its like its a bunch of retail customers bidding on retail cars, No idea anyone in the trade can buy at the hammer price and still make a meaningful margin

1 minute ago, CCC said:

https://auction.sytner.co.uk/Listing/Detail/382246

This one looks great. I wonder what they gave for it as Part Exchange?

ok thats mine.............    you all leave this to me

4 hours ago, met said:

Yeah but eventually everyone will use sniping software, who wins? 

The person who puts in the highest bid! If that is identical to someone else then whomever has the fastest broadband connection I expect 

I never understand the last minute thing , if the system bids on your behalf just put in you big boy top bid and get on with the day . If you feel you lost it for £25 , why didn't you bid £30 higher in the first place ?

You have no way of knowing whether the winning bid sat £25 OR £2500 above your losing bid (assuming the proxy system plays fair) 

I do know the feeling tho...:mellow:

I can’t remember the figures but let’s say about £3500 (my max bid).  The auction (remember early EBay days) was at about £1,000 with a few hours left (I didn’t know EBay attracted last second bids back then) the auction ended at £3525 - that’s why I was gutted but you’re right, their max May have been £5,000 but it feels like I missed out for £25

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I can’t remember the figures but let’s say about £3500 (my max bid).  The auction (remember early EBay days) was at about £1,000 with a few hours left (I didn’t know EBay attracted last second bids back then) the auction ended at £3525 - that’s why I was gutted but you’re right, their max May have been £5,000 but it feels like I missed out for £25

If your max is £4000 you still missed out for £25 if their max bid is £5000.

19 hours ago, Beechwood said:

Hi all and a happy new yar to you all,

Some of you may recall  Ihave posted about getting back into the game having had a lay off for the past few years and have ben running a another busines, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on Syntner on line auction, as I have been trying to buy a few bits on there.   It seems virtually impossible to buy anything on there, you always seem to get outbid by a first time bidder that comes in from no where  in the last couple of seconds making it impossible for you to bid again even if you wanted to, as most of the prices are ridiculous anyway could anyone shed some light on the subject for me me on how they are doing this thanks.

I think if you read it again the query is clearly about the prices being bid, NOT about the timing of bids.

Tbh Sytner’s a waste of time for me - I’ve just looked & my last win was July. The prices are ridiculous at my end of the market & if I had £1500 for a £700 car they’d still be another three bidders on there with £1800 for it. Too many people are prepared to work for peanuts all of the time.

I'm a member and find it just wastes my time checking in every night to see what has been uploaded. Anything I do buy is generally well described but fetches waay too much. Last car I purchased was 24 of August only I never ended up with it! I was the highest bidder but didn't make reserve, 2 days later they called me and offered it to me at my highest bid.

I agreed, wired them the payment and when I checked back to see if it had been received, I was told the car had been sold locally by another salesman!. It took half a dozen phone calls and over a month to get the payment back!

I wasn't happy

20 hours ago, EPV said:

The person who puts in the highest bid! If that is identical to someone else then whomever has the fastest broadband connection I expect 

Exactly, if you get outbid by a sniper on eBay then what’s the issue? It’s obviously gone over the highest entered bid you was willing to pay anyway. Even a sniper tool will only bid to the other bidders highest bid, so if yours was higher you would still win regardless of how last second it was.

Edited by Lakeside
  • Like 1