AutoJacob

Citroen C1 1.0 3 Cylinder, help!

Evening all,

I have one of these delightful things going out on Saturday. Started it up yesterday and it was smoking its t!ts off and misfiring, it now does not smoke but the misfire is still there and it seems to have a lack of power when the EML is illuminated.

At first there was no EML and now there is an EML for P0106 Inlet manifold pressure sensor signal coherence, looks like it has already had a brand new coil and spark plugs (x3).

Parts replaced so far by us:

3 coils, 3 spark plugs, Air filter, Vacuum control valve (solenoid), Injector rail.

Head gasket isn't gone, I can see from viewing OBD data that there is a misfire on Cylinder 3 so we replaced the full fuel injector rail with a known working set, each injector is reading at 12.3 ohms.

Has anyone else experienced this fault code before or do the symptoms sound similar?

From our experience this will most likely be a costly repair. Just cut your losses and move on to the next one 

3 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

From our experience this will most likely be a costly repair. Just cut your losses and move on to the next one 

Not too fussed on what it takes, I've got a 10 plate crash damaged donor C1 here and can steal an engine or any electrical bits from it.. just looking for some pointers rather than playing parts darts.

Sounds like its been parked up for a while?

Reset the light and take it for a good blast on local roads and dual carriageways. It might need a good run to clear the shit out of it lol

And am talking a good 10 miles!

The French shit does misfire I must say hence I stay away 

Alternatively it could be cheap / dodgy new parts that have gone in and this DOES happen especially from euro farts

• Like 1

I don't think it's an ignition problem. What colour is the smoke?

Sounds to me more like MAP sensor or EGR. Something is interrupting the smooth flow of air and fuel.

The symptoms sound similar to every EGR we've changed to be honest.

7 hours ago, Tony911 said:

Really? You'd bin a C1 with a misfire? What do you do when you get more complex problems?

We had an Aygo with same engine a while ago, running rough, smoking (but no fault codes), did compression test, swapped temp sensor, coil packs, plugs from another car we had here, then checked the tank.... The fuel smelt stronger of unleaded then fresh unleaded! Whipped the tank out and it had been missfuelled! Ran great on  just unleaded!!

2 hours ago, pmpants said:

We had an Aygo with same engine a while ago, running rough, smoking (but no fault codes), did compression test, swapped temp sensor, coil packs, plugs from another car we had here, then checked the tank.... The fuel smelt stronger of unleaded then fresh unleaded! Whipped the tank out and it had been missfuelled! Ran great on  just unleaded!!

This is what I was thinking but my mechanic said he doesn't reckon it has.. going to drain it and put some fresh petrol in it would be nice to rule it out as it ran absolutely fine prior to this.

2 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

I don't think it's an ignition problem. What colour is the smoke?

Sounds to me more like MAP sensor or EGR. Something is interrupting the smooth flow of air and fuel.

The symptoms sound similar to every EGR we've changed to be honest.

Really? You'd bin a C1 with a misfire? What do you do when you get more complex problems?

EGR is a good shout, I'll get this done along with the potential that it might have just been missfuelled.

Edited by AutoJacob

so your mechanic is depending on an electrical device only to ascertain a compression problem rather than a mechanical compression test

unbelievable

does he even know what a vacuum gauge is?

2 hours ago, pmpants said:

The fuel smelt stronger of unleaded then fresh unleaded

Didn't know that was a thing!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, boring dave said:

so your mechanic is depending on an electrical device only to ascertain a compression problem rather than a mechanical compression test

unbelievable

101% knob, (the mechanic)

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

unbelievable

No, its far easier to plug a computer in that TELLS you how to fix it? :unsure:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stalker said:

No, its far easier to plug a computer in that TELLS you how to fix it? :unsure:

LOL,

In actual fact MB Star does exactly that, "Guided Testing", you click on the fault code and it walks you through what the problem could be in order of probability ;)

I'm not aware of any other Diagnostic Machines at Dealer Level that do this, JLR comes close with it's SDD Program, (Symptom Driven Diagnostics), but like their Vehicles, it ain't a patch on the MB products :lol: 

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

LOL,

In actual fact MB Star does exactly that, "Guided Testing", you click on the fault code and it walks you through what the problem could be in order of probability ;)

I'm not aware of any other Diagnostic Machines at Dealer Level that do this, JLR comes close with it's SDD Program, (Symptom Driven Diagnostics), but like their Vehicles, it ain't a patch on the MB products :lol: 

All of the dealers have guided diagnosis now. 

They are trying to make sure that the tech has to do as little thinking as possible and wastes 3 hours with a scope to fix a faulty cam sensor :D

20 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

Evening all,

I have one of these delightful things going out on Saturday. Started it up yesterday and it was smoking its t!ts off and misfiring, it now does not smoke but the misfire is still there and it seems to have a lack of power when the EML is illuminated.

At first there was no EML and now there is an EML for P0106 Inlet manifold pressure sensor signal coherence, looks like it has already had a brand new coil and spark plugs (x3).

Parts replaced so far by us:

3 coils, 3 spark plugs, Air filter, Vacuum control valve (solenoid), Injector rail.

Head gasket isn't gone, I can see from viewing OBD data that there is a misfire on Cylinder 3 so we replaced the full fuel injector rail with a known working set, each injector is reading at 12.3 ohms.

Has anyone else experienced this fault code before or do the symptoms sound similar?

smoke colour black or blue ?

why haven't you changed the map sensor ?

there will be a misfire if its smoking ?

9 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

EGR is a good shout, I'll get this done along with the potential that it might have just been missfuelled.

they dont have a egr ;)

13 hours ago, Stalker said:

All of the dealers have guided diagnosis now. 

They are trying to make sure that the tech has to do as little thinking as possible and wastes 3 hours with a scope to fix a faulty cam sensor :D

you cant get a simpler engine these days than these 3 pots

but they need 3 things

water

oil

petrol

feed them bad stuff and like anything they will spit their dummy

no cannybus on these too so good ole fashioned stand back plan of action sorts the real men out

just watch the corner of the bonnet doesnt slice your head as you go in:(

44 minutes ago, boring dave said:

I did that in an auction once my head would not stop bleeding for ages, had to stand in the auction with a load of toilet paper holding my head together. 

23 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Didn't know that was a thing!

I didn't either! No joke, I thought early on it could have been that someone had put a can of diesel in at BCA, but sniffing the filler it smelt so much of unleaded I ruled it out! Swapped loads of parts with another car we had in stock, but kept thinking "it's just like it's running on rubbish fuel" , bit the bullet and pulled the tank out (took about 5 mins) , then put the petrol in a clear glass and it was so much darker than fresh!!

Ok so here's where we are up to. Compression test cyl 1 190 psi, cyl 2 195 psi, cyl 3 185 psi. Replaced spark plugs, all three coils, drained the tank and filled with fresh fuel, replaced vacuum control valve, checked connectors for any corrosion, checked ECU for corrosion, replaced injector rail.

New codes are P0300 misfire cylinder 3 and P0303 Random misfire on multiple cylinders.

3 hours ago, boring dave said:

you cant get a simpler engine these days than these 3 pots

but they need 3 things

water

oil

petrol

feed them bad stuff and like anything they will spit their dummy

no cannybus on these too so good ole fashioned stand back plan of action sorts the real men out

That's what we thought as well.. we have sold 20 - 30 of these little tin can cars this year and no problems what so ever.

2 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

Ok so here's where we are up to. Compression test cyl 1 190 psi, cyl 2 195 psi, cyl 3 185 psi. Replaced spark plugs, all three coils, drained the tank and filled with fresh fuel, replaced vacuum control valve, checked connectors for any corrosion, checked ECU for corrosion, replaced injector rail.

New codes are P0300 misfire cylinder 3 and P0303 Random misfire on multiple cylinders.

That's what we thought as well.. we have sold 20 - 30 of these little tin can cars this year and no problems what so ever.

Id swap injectors around, check them with a multimeter for high resistance / open circuit whilst you have them out.

Swap 1 + 3 around to see if the misfire moves?

Have you checked the inlet manifold for leaks?

3 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

replaced vacuum control valve,

what is this ?

as i suggested / asked earlier, have you changed the map sensor ?

why ? because the vacum control valve is  NOT  the map sensor ...........

Edited by have a word with the wife
because theres nowhere to park