Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Taxing car for own use

Just took an old frreelander TD4 in chop which Im going to keep to run over the winter.

How do I get around taxing it monthly without sticking my name on the log book. Can I just set up a direct debit and then cancel it when it ready to be moved on? Or will DVLA know when I set the dd up its a keeper change?

Tax it on DD on the green slip cancel it when you sell it. It wont add a keeper. 

I wouldnt worry about an extra owner, its an old car. neither will any prospective purchaser

Hi Martin,I did this setting up a 12mth DD which was fine for around 10 months then DVLA stopped taking the DD as they hadn't received notification of a new keeper, and unfortunately I didn't notice on our bank statement that the payment hadn't been taken. The car then became untaxed and one night/early morning whilst parked outside the house on the road it got clamped. We had to pay the un-clamp fee, but fortunately no fine. I did ask DVLA why they didn't just email us as they had an email address from the time we set the DD up but they responded by saying the responsibility is with the new owner to inform the DVLA "forthwith" (however long that is). I can understand their point of view as they need to know where to send any fines or follow up any infringements that the vehicle is involved in.Just make sure you keep an eye on your DD..

Yeah just tax it via DD mate.. don't bother changing the v5 over.. everyone has their own way of doing things though so I'm sure someone will chirp in saying that this is against the law as you're not registered as the keeper and it's a trade vehicle blah blah.

Edited by AutoJacob

I would have thought putting your name in the logbook would actually be seen as a bonus.

If it's good enough for you to drive it must be good enough for a punter!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

Yeah just tax it via DD mate.. don't bother changing the v5 over.. everyone has their own way of doing things though so I'm sure someone will chirp in saying that this is against the law as you're not registered as the keeper and it's a trade vehicle blah blah.

[F143COffence of using an incorrectly registered vehicle

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, on a public road or in a public place, he uses a vehicle to which subsection (2) applies and in respect of which—

(a)the name and address of the keeper are not recorded in the register, or

(b)any of the particulars recorded in the register are incorrect.

Do anyone give a f*** nowadays about the number of owners? Those days were 20 years ago, weren’t they?

We still get asked a fair bit.   Mainly because of our ‘ahem’ mature local population. 

I always say that ‘we don’t get asked that much nowadays. Everyone gets bored too easily and changes their cars every five minutes. Plus the first owner is often the main dealer.’ Seems to work OK mostly. 

I personally get a bit odd about buying stuff with three or more previous owners. Three in total is OK. Just how I was schooled. Shouldn’t matter. 

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

I would have thought putting your name in the logbook would actually be seen as a bonus.

If it's good enough for you to drive it must be good enough for a punter!

That's exactly my view

The guy who part exchanged it also paid by direct debit so I will need to notify DVLA that I now own the vehicle or they will hit him for another payment....sorry forgot to mention that, so probably just changing the V5 over into my name is the best option...Thanks for everyones replies!

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Do anyone give a f*** nowadays about the number of owners? Those days were 20 years ago, weren’t they?

Lol... So true. Its my own selling point.

Sold a lovely Jag with 6 owners at 11years old. The billy was impressed of the condition and was surprised at 6 owners...

They could have all been in the same family or they could have been those that garage the vehicle and polish it every Sunday.

It had only done 90k miles. 

It's quality not quantity...

32 minutes ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

The guy who part exchanged it also paid by direct debit so I will need to notify DVLA that I now own the vehicle or they will hit him for another payment....sorry forgot to mention that, so probably just changing the V5 over into my name is the best option...Thanks for everyones replies!

But he will go home and jump on dvla website to inform them he's sold the car so he is mo longer responsible for it, doesn't he then tell them who he sold it to?

33 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Lol... So true. Its my own selling point.

Sold a lovely Jag with 6 owners at 11years old. The billy was impressed of the condition and was surprised at 6 owners...

They could have all been in the same family or they could have been those that garage the vehicle and polish it every Sunday.

It had only done 90k miles. 

It's quality not quantity...

Jags are like that, especially the petrols. Buy, run for 1,000 miles, polish every sunday, tick the box of owning one and sell next year.

The public believes a one owner car is a better car than 4 owners.

We all know what we do and spend on a car between owners.

Edited by David Ayers

1 minute ago, David Ayers said:

It’s a myth isn’t it. One owner is a better car than 4 owners.

We all know what we do and spend on a car between owners.

Exactly my argument.

I always say, what is the first thing you do when you acquire your new car? Answer is usually, ensure servicing is all up to date, replace worn tyres with branded stuff, get it Valeted and continue to polish it every weekend for 3 months (until the novelty wears off).  Exactly what the other 7 owners have probably done, whereas the 1 owner got bored after the first service and gave up maintenance.

That said, I still prefer to say 1 or 2 owners sir.

1 hour ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

you should have given him the trade slip ? filled your details in ? thats his responsibility, if he doesnt inform them,  so, assuming its "in trade" think about this one everybody, how can you tax a vehicle thats "in trade" ? looking at it from dvlas point of view "in trade" means just that, only moved or demonstrated on trade plates, the law is quite simple, and clear , a vehicle must be registered to a keeper, unless " in trade" ive gone through this before, you cannot tax a car thats "in trade" you cannot tax a "in trade" car, by doing so, is promoting roadside traders to be more competitive than you and curtail the law.

the systems we have got is excellent, and it works, my post office used to have a allocated lot of tax discs , and some months, they used to run out ! meaning going to another post office ! and i dont want it changing by people trying to short circuit the system, either play by the rules, or, if caught, you will be fined , and could have your trade plates taken off you for a taxation offence, etc etc :lol:

46 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

you should have given him the trade slip ? filled your details in ? thats his responsibility, if he doesnt inform them,  so, assuming its "in trade" think about this one everybody, how can you tax a vehicle thats "in trade" ? looking at it from dvlas point of view "in trade" means just that, only moved or demonstrated on trade plates, the law is quite simple, and clear , a vehicle must be registered to a keeper, unless " in trade" ive gone through this before, you cannot tax a car thats "in trade" you cannot tax a "in trade" car, by doing so, is promoting roadside traders to be more competitive than you and curtail the law.

the systems we have got is excellent, and it works, my post office used to have a allocated lot of tax discs , and some months, they used to run out ! meaning going to another post office ! and i dont want it changing by people trying to short circuit the system, either play by the rules, or, if caught, you will be fined , and could have your trade plates taken off you for a taxation offence, etc etc :lol:

What i dont understand about taxing on the green slip is, and bearing in mind dvla encourage you to use their website to update change of ownership (electronically), what happens when the guy goes home and tells dvla that he no longer owns the car but is trying to continue taxing it? 

2 hours ago, met said:

What i dont understand about taxing on the green slip is, and bearing in mind dvla encourage you to use their website to update change of ownership (electronically), what happens when the guy goes home and tells dvla that he no longer owns the car but is trying to continue taxing it? 

i can see where your coming from, but hes not trying to tax it is he ? the green slip is NEW KEEPER .

But if you use the green slip to tax it for trade abuse doesnt that render the green slip useless?

So when your billy tries to tax it when he buys it will it let him tax it or not?

I thought the green slip could only be used once?

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

But if you use the green slip to tax it for trade abuse doesnt that render the green slip useless?

So when your billy tries to tax it when he buys it will it let him tax it or not?

I thought the green slip could only be used once?

No. It can be reused.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

No. It can be reused.

Well you learn each day! Thnx