Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Mechanics report on a £2.5K car?

So had a chap come to look at a 2009 Mondeo 103k on Sunday, sorted out delivery for him etc but it threw an engine warning light the next day. Turns out one of the boost pipes had come loose and just needed a new jubilee clip.

He's now saying he wants an AA report doing on the car this Saturday...

It's all properly prepped, had new discs, pads, calipers and bearings on the back and it's got 12 months MOT

Is it worth saying to him it's not really worth doing on a 9 year old car that's done 103k? My thinking behind it is he's going to expect a new car for £2.5k..... 

Refund and move on

The AA report will rip a car like that to pieces

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

Refund and move on

The AA report will rip a car like that to pieces

He hasn't left a deposit yet! So no refund necessary, might just tell him its sold and redo the photos

Well, you could always refund him once hes wasted his money.

if its prepped ok, you have nothing to worry about.

If hes looking for gold whilst having the money to buy tin...... refund him.

Remember you have limited liability once hes accepted the report.

2 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Remember you have limited liability once hes accepted the report.

An interesting point

But how limited...

26 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

So had a chap come to look at a 2009 Mondeo 103k on Sunday, sorted out delivery for him etc but it threw an engine warning light the next day. Turns out one of the boost pipes had come loose and just needed a new jubilee clip.

He's now saying he wants an AA report doing on the car this Saturday...

It's all properly prepped, had new discs, pads, calipers and bearings on the back and it's got 12 months MOT

Is it worth saying to him it's not really worth doing on a 9 year old car that's done 103k? My thinking behind it is he's going to expect a new car for £2.5k..... 

Tell him he's more than welcome to have the AA do a report on it at his cost.

Remind him to expect fair wear and tear resulting from the report though and he may wish to pursue a car elsewhere if he is looking for a faultless car for £2,500. Remind him the car has new mot etc etc (all what you have done for the prep) and you have nothing to hide but you have spent your recon costs already and will not be getting the AA along at your cost to confirm what you already know. The car is in good USED condition.

• Like 1

If the car is still for sale when the weekend rolls around you have nothing to lose, as long as the customer knows it's at his cost. 

I always ask them what they think the (not) AA man will find that the Mot/Pdi garage haven’t.

He sounds a loon though and as has been said, make it clear you won’t be doing anything else to it and you won’t be offended if he doesn’t want it. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

An interesting point

But how limited...

If the customer arranged their own inspection by a professional, it takes away the burden of proof should any fault arise that the customer says was present at the time of the sale, or that date moving forward.

• Like 1

Absolutely as above, agree to the report on the understanding that the car may sell in the meantime. 

You have nothing to lose from this point onwards. 

• Like 2

I would also allow the report to go ahead but stress whatever the diagnosis, the cost of said report is on the person instructing it and until a non-refunadble deposit is placed, the car remains ON SALE.

• Like 4

I'd let him do the report if he chooses, but explain its his expense, you will not be paying for the report, and if it sells in the meantime, tough. And that you will not be doing remedial work the AA report may suggest as it has just passed an MOT etc. I would also suggest to him that you are paying the AA Man to find fault, so what do you think he will 'find'. Its a 9 year old car with 103 k on it. And dont take a deposit off him. you'll only be giving it back on saturday afternoon and stopping someone else buying it who wont give a f**k.

I agree with all the above - let him do what he wants at his own cost. They WILL rip it to pieces though. I once had an 'RAC' guy over on behalf of a customer. He said it had a concerning oil leak. Car was bone dry underneath. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Guess it will be a good experience to go through

Depends on who turns up i have had some tidy ones and a few we almost threw out by the scruffs of there necks.

I just say these days done waste your money and go buy a car elsewhere, no1 they dont trust you, they dont trust the mot station you have used its clearly handing out tickets for smarties,  I dont deal with people like that, the AA guy has been almost instructed or assumed to go there to find faults if he doesnt he hasnt done his job. 

• Like 2

Its not the inspection that is normally a problem, but the customers interpretation of it. The type that arranges an inspection doesent know what they are doing and usually has unrealistic expectations anyway. I sometimes wonder how many inspections some of these customers can afford to go through before they eventually buy a dog without having an inspection.

Let your customer have an inspection. And get a copy of it. If he buys the car all and well. If not, don't worry about it. He has only wasted his own money. You will sell the car to someone else, and if the inspection is quite good, use it to sell the car.

• Like 1

The inspectors I have had seem fine, get chatting with them and they're usually sweet. From their perspective they're expecting hostilities from the minute they arrive so the offer of a cup of java and a smile usually gets them behaving themselves. 

I just adopt the approach that they can find whatever they like with the car, I've done my job right, the car is well prepared and if this punter doesn't want to leap upon an opportunity to own a well prep'd car, someone else will.

I can almost say with certainty that as soon as you tell this punter he has to fork out for the inspection he will disappear into thin air.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EPV said:

I can almost say with certainty that as soon as you tell this punter he has to fork out for the inspection he will disappear into thin air.

+1 ;)

16 minutes ago, EPV said:

That would be nice as people have been ringing for it! Mostly tyre kickers but hey ho haha

Just as we all carefully pick and choose which cars to buy, we also have to sometimes pick and choose which customers to deal with also. Nothing worse than selling to a wrong'un.

4 hours ago, Stalker said:

Well, you could always refund him once hes wasted his money.

Agreed, Have the last laugh

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dealer said:

One word for people like this......... "GABANO" 

I've been trying to figure it out for the past 20 mins, you're going to have to tell me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey360 said:

I've been trying to figure it out for the past 20 mins, you're going to have to tell me!

Go And Buy A New One ;)

• Like 3