Dealer

November Trade

We are still dead here! A no show and a customer asking if we have any big discounts for Black Friday were the highlights of our weekend. 

15 minutes ago, James01 said:

We are still dead here! A no show and a customer asking if we have any big discounts for Black Friday were the highlights of our weekend. 

Same James, 2 last week amd had to give one away as well just to get some coins in! 

Low mileage diesel auto 75/ZT’s have always sold very well. If I ever see one cheap I pick it up. Problem is I think everyone else has realised as they always tend to fetch way over Cap at auction now.

November on the whole has been dire for us with everyone I speak to saying the same thing..

Having said that doing 4 over the last 2 days has improved things slightly!

Watching the brexit discussion on the itv news and the word chaos, I’m not suprised people are staying at home. Popped to Rushden Lakes shopping centre on Saturday. Last time we drove past in the summer people were queuing to get in. A month before Xmas and Black Friday weekend the wife suggested it would be a nightmare, but drove straight in and many of the shops seemed virtually empty. 

We're up to 6 this month but all with decent ish margins so I can't complain for our second month and the time of year.

Very quiet with enquiries and viewings though and would've liked to have done at least 8 

-kelly-

11 hours ago, CCC said:

Watching the brexit discussion on the itv news and the word chaos, I’m not suprised people are staying at home.

That's not just Brexit (although it certainly does not help)

It's the general switch to online buying, especially in bad weather. You couldn't pay me to drag me in a store, never mind getting money out of me there. 

We've basically done half our the whole months trade on Saturday and Sunday this week (8 deals).

I really don't know where it came from but it was massively helpful and has kept the wolves from the door properly.

29 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

That's not just Brexit (although it certainly does not help)

It's the general switch to online buying, especially in bad weather. You couldn't pay me to drag me in a store, never mind getting money out of me there. 

I was going to say the same....the delivery people (Amazon etc) are definitely on overtime coming to my house!  It's bad enough at normal times of the year- every day something pointless and/or useless arrives! I don't think Her Indoors has gone to a shop yet.  And I get to deal with the ridiculous amount of cardboard for even the smallest item!

Still ticking over nicely- without Autoraper (sorry, it's been a while ;0) won't break any records but hopeful to hit the 20 mark if we can do a couple more yet.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tradex said:

We pooped out Sunday and it was very quiet around here too, very odd.... 

I hope you cleaned up after yourself :lol:

9 minutes ago, tradex said:

all I want for Christmas is an edit button

And some toilet  paper...

Do you guys count number of sales at point of deposit or point of collection/payment?

Only asking because I have two deposited which are being collected Saturday and Wednesday - do they count?:D

17 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Do you guys count number of sales at point of deposit or point of collection/payment?

if I just had a great month I will leave the other two sales for the next one. If my current month has been dysmal I will happily add those two sales to it :-)

Just now, Nick M.K. said:

if I just had a great month I will leave the other two sales for the next one. If my current month has been dysmal I will happily add those two sales to it :-)

I shall leave it as a good start to December then (and hope these 2 do not end up as the grand total)

18 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Point of deposit Nick, goes on the monthly day by day planner as a sale. Pick up may well be the following month but i have always done it this way 

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Only asking because I have two deposited which are being collected Saturday and Wednesday - do they count?:D

I always count them the when invoiced -paid- and delivered.. 

Everyone does it different.

I consider the car to be sold from the moment the deposit arrives, but you can equally mark it as sold from the point the balance is paid, if you stick to one or the other you then get a true reflection of the month sales for stats. 

59 minutes ago, Dealer said:

Point of deposit Nick, goes on the monthly day by day planner as a sale. Pick up may well be the following month but i have always done it this way 

There are different kinds of deposit. You can have Simon's kind where the car is virtually sold at the deposit point, they've seen his video and no additional work is required from him, you can have the typical deposit where the punter arrives, looks, drives, signs order, wants something done and pays a deposit or you can have the kind I usually take over the phone: 

"Leave us £100-200 refundable deposit to guarantee yourself availability, if you arrive and don't like the car or find a fault I will refund this to you in full".

Last week I had a customer leave £100 unseen on an £19K Audi A3, then he arrived, loved the car, went away to arrange his own finance. He couldn't arrange finance at a rate he was happy with. I could arrange it for him with Blue but the rate was very high and he decided to "leave it". So no sale. Sold to a cash buyer on Mon with a a lovely p/x.

And another: 30 minutes after advertising a left hand drive Jeep on Sunday the phone rang, a Brit in France said he absolutely wants the Cherokee and left his £100 deposit, he said he was flying in on Mon to pick it up. Never phoned back, never turned up, he changed his mind maybe. £200 up but I can't count both as sold. Jeep is still here. 

Hi Mark,

A deposit for us means the deal is counted in that same month. We never carry over deals, and like to start each month with zero sales on the board. It gives me more incentive to 'get the month going'.

I know some dealers like to carry over deals. We used to do it a lot years ago at the main agents when our monthly target had been met before the month end.

Tony

When I ran the last business, I got bored of telling the sales team that an order isn’t an order until the money is in.  Occasionally, there are deposited deals that don’t come through, either due to a change of mind or a fault developing.  This is why I have always counted monthly sales as money in the bank deals.

I wanted to squeeze those extra 2 in November making the month my second best to date (unit sales) but I’m going to stick to what I have been doing to date as like Simon says - you can’t change the benchmark.

Paid in full and delivered for us but it's a pitch so different to home/unit. Carry anything that's not gone out into the next month. Don't think it makes any real difference though, year ends still the same whenever you count it.

Get more than a few that deposit, cancel and forfeit the dipper. All helps out on prep costs.