Sign in to follow this  
david gott

Cuvva temporary insurance

Lady comes to look at at mini just now, she loves the car, can I take it? Yes of course it’s got a new mot and service, you just need to pay, tax and insure. The insurance bit always seems to take forever when this happens but today an amazing thing happened, maybe I’m late on finding out about this but once the payment went through and we taxed the car the lady said right I’ll just get on my cuvva app and insure it for a couple of hours, I’ll do the insurance properly when I get home, it cost her £7, she arrived at 11:45 and was gone by 12:17......amazing!

• Like 1

Yes, I found it out a month ago. But last week had a nightmare two hours when a customer was huffing and puffing at my desk, swapping sim cards between his phone and ipad, trying to log into Cuvva, forgot which email address he used, tried to create a new account and ultimately couldn't insure using Cuvva because he hadn't held his license over one year. 

Give me HPI Driveaway any day but cars need to be under 10 years. 

1 hour ago, david gott said:

Lady comes to look at at mini just now, she loves the car, can I take it? Yes of course it’s got a new mot and service, you just need to pay, tax and insure. The insurance bit always seems to take forever when this happens but today an amazing thing happened, maybe I’m late on finding out about this but once the payment went through and we taxed the car the lady said right I’ll just get on my cuvva app and insure it for a couple of hours, I’ll do the insurance properly when I get home, it cost her £7, she arrived at 11:45 and was gone by 12:17......amazing!

Well worth knowing, thanks

Another is www.skyinsure.co.uk temp insurance , gives a day insurance and is easier in some respects to CUVVA as they don't require Apps and pictures . 

Takes 5 mins too . Cuvva is good for the younger ones as its App . 

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Aren't these freeze dried insurances just Road Traffic Act cover only?

Does it matter though? Sorry to sound brutal but once my palm has been crossed with silver I could not give a toss what the customer does regarding insurance, tax etc.

Tbh I get the impression half of the population doesn’t either, by the number of customers who drive off saying “I’ll sort it when I get home” :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Does it matter though? Sorry to sound brutal but once my palm has been crossed with silver I could not give a toss what the customer does regarding insurance, tax etc.

Tbh I get the impression half of the population doesn’t either, by the number of customers who drive off saying “I’ll sort it when I get home” :rolleyes:

its so true :unsure:

Of course it matters. 

If trivia like oil level matters then so does tax and / or insurance. 

We are in a service business where the silver is spent quickly but the great service they will remember. And talk about.

If they are happy to pay my margin customers can certainly have a few more minutes of my time for their insurance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I agree, if matey wants to play fast and loose with his docs that's his look out. What's next, lecturing them on speeding?

I resent being given responsibility for something that I have absolutely no control over!

56 minutes ago, met said:

What's next, lecturing them on speeding?

No, that's before, during the test drive :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Another is www.skyinsure.co.uk temp insurance , gives a day insurance and is easier in some respects to CUVVA as they don't require Apps and pictures . 

Takes 5 mins too . Cuvva is good for the younger ones as its App . 

Saw this mention this afternoon and later passed the details on to a customer after he viewed my Audi A3, he used it and drove away on the spot, thanks Dave.

13 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Of course it matters. 

If trivia like oil level matters then so does tax and / or insurance. 

We are in a service business where the silver is spent quickly but the great service they will remember. And talk about.

If they are happy to pay my margin customers can certainly have a few more minutes of my time for their insurance. 

This

12 hours ago, tradex said:

Very true:D

12 hours ago, met said:

I agree, if matey wants to play fast and loose with his docs that's his look out. What's next, lecturing them on speeding?

I resent being given responsibility for something that I have absolutely no control over!

+1. There seems to be a few on here who think they’re some sort of moral guardian for their customers. Good luck to those in that mindset.

It’s clear in law. Responsibility lies with the person in charge of the vehicle at the time.

I’m more than happy for customers to sort insurance & RFL at my place but if they choose to drive off illegally I have no legal powers to stop them and I’ll repeat, I couldn’t give a toss.

25 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

This

What about half of the immigrants who are still driving on a driving licence issued in their original country but have lived here for years? Just about every Eastern European refuses to swap their licence for a UK one “because it causes problems driving when they go back visiting”. Are you going to refuse to sell them a car?

12 minutes ago, BHM said:

+1. There seems to be a few on here who think they’re some sort of moral guardian for their customers. Good luck to those in that mindset.

It’s clear in law. Responsibility lies with the person in charge of the vehicle at the time.

I’m more than happy for customers to sort insurance & RFL at my place but if they choose to drive off illegally I have no legal powers to stop them and I’ll repeat, I couldn’t give a toss.

What about half of the immigrants who are still driving on a driving licence issued in their original country but have lived here for years? Just about every Eastern European refuses to swap their licence for a UK one “because it causes problems driving when they go back visiting”. Are you going to refuse to sell them a car?

There's a difference or I am not making myself clear.

If someone wants my help, I'm happy to assist them (not pay) Tax, Register and Insure their new car (it's part of my job and the margin covers my 30 mins of assistance).

If someone wants to drive off into the sunset having paid me - I am equally happy with that.

For clarity; if they want my help - they get it, if they don't - they don't 

28 minutes ago, BHM said:

Just about every Eastern European refuses to swap their licence for a UK one “because it causes problems driving when they go back visiting”

How does it cause problems???

I am an Eastern European with a UK licence since 2003. All of MY Eastern European customers have been here many years and have a UK licence. It is easy to swap and being the EU (still) you can drive everywhere in Europe without any problems. 

After Brexit I guess we will keep our UK licenses and will get our own re-issued from our countries so we can continue driving in the EU without problems. Points on these licences? Let Theresa May worry about that for now. 

16 hours ago, BHM said:

Sorry to sound brutal but once my palm has been crossed with silver I could not give a toss what the customer does regarding insurance, tax etc

It doesn't sound brutal but it sounds different from "I’m more than happy for customers to sort insurance & RFL at my place" which does sound better and is the norm. Not legally speaking but in "best practice" terms.

12 hours ago, Row said:

Saw this mention this afternoon and later passed the details on to a customer after he viewed my Audi A3, he used it and drove away on the spot, thanks Dave.

Pleasure mate 

How many times has a customer said, “it’s ok I’m fully comp I can drive any car” There’s always that little pause and then I hear 2 little voices in my head, ones saying “just let them take it home! they’ll be ok! What’s the chance! I right want to get home I’m freezing me tits off! the other voice is saying “don’t be a rotten bastard, don’t take any notice of the wanker other voice, he’s the one who told you to retail all them shitty part exes instead of trading them on........just do the right thing you plank! 

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

How does it cause problems???

I’ve no idea Nick but that’s what they say to me. Funnily enough, to be more accurate I’d say it’s predominantly a Polish ‘thing’ so perhaps it’s something to do with driving regulations, insurance, or whatever back in Polska.

The Hungarians and Romanians who live here usually do have a UK licence, in my limited experience. 

I think we’re all basically agreed on that if we can help, we will, especially those who need our help, but ultimately it’s the customers’ problem and I certainly don’t lose sleep over the actions of the many who’s attitude seems to be not to give a toss.

34 minutes ago, david gott said:

How many times has a customer said, “it’s ok I’m fully comp I can drive any car” There’s always that little pause and then I hear 2 little voices in my head, ones saying “just let them take it home! they’ll be ok! What’s the chance! I right want to get home I’m freezing me tits off! the other voice is saying “don’t be a rotten bastard, don’t take any notice of the wanker other voice, he’s the one who told you to retail all them shitty part exes instead of trading them on........just do the right thing you plank! 

Easy. I say I can’t give out definitive insurance advice as each company & policy is different & tell them they need to check with their insurance company. It’s at that point most then decide to “sort it when I get back home” :lol:

• Like 1

Oh ill just sort it out when I get home, when buying a £20k sporty car ffs. Just insure it it takes 2 mins and if you don't and something does happen then its really not my problem.

I remind customers to sort insurance. I remind them again when they arrive have you sorted your insurance. I don't insist on seeing a cover note it really isn't my responsibility.

That’s great info, our customers have generally already got quotes from existing g insurers (we encourage them to check costs before paying and collecting to avoid last minute dropouts) but cuvva sounds a great solution if they don’t.

Nick  - do you need to sign up and pay for HPI driveaway?

8 hours ago, CCC said:

Nick  - do you need to sign up and pay for HPI driveaway?

Yes you sign up with HPI and it works straight from their online portal. 

It costs £15 for 5 days fully comp Aviva cover and the customer pays that with a card just before they drive off. The dealer sign-up is free. 

• Like 1