Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Video does not help me sell (much).

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Spot on. 

People buy from people, you are not just simply selling the car, you are selling yourself and your business, you are instilling trust and accuracy. 

Oh you are the guy who did the video I recognise your voice. I found it really helpful. 

If you get it right it is an incredibly powerful sales tool and leads to many sales for us. Do I think they would come without, absolutely they did anyway we were not struggling without video but the thing I notice is the people who have watched them are far less picky when they come out and the sales are almost quick look, quick drive, sign here, pay here and off they go. I have sold it to them already instead of having to do it in person. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Oh you are the guy who did the video I recognise your voice. I found it really helpful. 

If you get it right it is an incredibly powerful sales tool and leads to many sales for us. Do I think they would come without, absolutely they did anyway we were not struggling without video but the thing I notice is the people who have watched them are far less picky when they come out and the sales are almost quick look, quick drive, sign here, pay here and off they go. I have sold it to them already instead of having to do it in person. 

+1

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Absolutely ;)

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

As Rory says  100% !  Few recently where I'm trying to show them the car and THEY say it's ok I've watched your video and know/have seen it all. Pay and go. 

It's worked on older PX to clear too, show them exactly what it is , dents, scratches etc and they know what's on offer ! Had a real bizarre one few weeks back A3 taken in PX that i supplied needed about £1200/1500 body work, old chap caught gate post etc..you get the picture , I took over 50+ Calls ! Sheer madness , in fact on the sunday I wouuldn't even answer the phone. Monday morning 1st man bought /paid gone !( It was cheap ! £3500 - proper car would retail circa 5500/6000) Bargain hunters! 

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Yes, we have a site and I couldn't of put it better.

Taking a step back.

Video's are an odd thing in a way, I love doing them as it allows me to show my super prepped' pride and joy to a customer and also shows me (us) to care about everything I sell. But, it seems (from what we see, in our limited exposure) that it can piss on a great car for many customers, who may otherwise at least visit and make a buying decision there in the flesh. A video sort of gives them the oppotunity to think the next one is a gem, "'cos it says mint in the ad, lyke'" thus denying us the chance to prove ourselves and put our stall out. At some point there will be a face to face (face to car?) part of the sale and this is where we excell.

Maybe I've made the mistake with our vids of showing how I would buy a car - and I will revisit that I think - when all that billy wants is cheap, black, shiny and an Iphone input?

Unfortunately - and I've said it so many times it's like a broken record - in this game, the metrics of being a good car dealer.... honesty, being knowledgeable, being conscientious, being accurate, being a caring sort and upfront, doesn't really work a lot of the time, billy wants cheap, end of. This is a real change of purchase habits that I have seen over the years I have been doing this job, and has been brought on by the internet as far as I guess.

"here is my car, it's f*cking cheap as chips, really shiny and yous can plug ya fone in, what more could you want"

Yes, quality always sells and we won't do it any other way, but you have to wait far longer nowadays for those that see the value and not the cost of everything.

We all know traders whom you wouldn't wish to shake hands with but, they sell cars by the bucketful, and have no 'comeback' conscious....but their cars are cheap.

You know when someone comes out to see the car, you kind of roughly do a 360 walkround with them where they look at the car then they get in and turn it on. 

You wouldn't go pointing out loads of flaws or defects because its just wear and tear and its how cars are. You might tell them that the reason they should buy from you is because you have great reviews or that you prep it well - Tell them that in the video sell yourself, your brand etc. 

I don't sell cars with big dents, big scuffs or whatever but obviously they are non brand new and are all prepped well taking into account age and mileage. I do an overview, show them the dash turned on is not full of EML/ABS light etc, show them its got a nav / cruise / iphone input etc and thats it. 

Just sold a Mazda (waiting on the doorstep).  Raining and so car not looking its best.  They didn't even start it up!  Just said they'd seen the video and handed their debit card over.

If only it was always this simple!

i hate my voice unfortunately

i always wanted to be a dj because it was always a fanny magnet job

anyway what if i do a video with say a voice changer to the darth vader

would it put people off i wonder

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Just sold a Mazda (waiting on the doorstep).  Raining and so car not looking its best.  They didn't even start it up!  Just said they'd seen the video and handed their debit card over.

If only it was always this simple!

And that’s the way it’s going. It’s not the way it is now of course but that’s how it’s moving. Click and reserve, selling to people in their front rooms, why would they bother going to look at anyone else’s, they have seen yours and it’s what they want, no time to look around, too busy on Instagram. 

As I say, not the way it is now but the way it’s going. I expect people who sold groceries from a shop 20 years ago would have laughed if you’d said people will buy food from their front room and have it delivered. Who would be so lazy as to do that? 

17 minutes ago, boring dave said:

Is it boring Dave? ;0)

Dath Vader - hilarious. Love it.

I mute the audio on mine. Good four minute walk round the car with close ups and I point to bits of spec where necessary.

17 minutes ago, EPV said:

no time to look around, too busy on Instagram. 

Insta-what? I barely know what Bookface is. ;0)

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

Try laughing gas. Much more customer friendly.

For me they work great, most of our cars under 7k and mainly do videos so I don't get time wasters, I'll be honest and upfront, if they are bothered about stone chips then these are customers I don't want, like sparky says its just another part of the armoury, personally I haven't got time to take 50 pictures of every car, a 15 minute video and long description of the car for the advert, so I just try and keep it simple, 15 pics, 3 min vid, cut and paste description of our business ethos with some spiel about the car all uploaded through my ipad, works great and seems to attract the customers I want, I do think it helps when they call and they recognise your voice from the video, it definitely gives the customer confidence but the last 3 cars Ive sold this month were all from a coming soon pic, not even prepared so what do I know!!!!

19 minutes ago, david gott said:

last 3 cars Ive sold this month were all from a coming soon pic, not even prepared so what do I know!!!!

I do exactly this, love enquiries on the due in stock soon stuff. 

I have an enquiry on a Skoda Yeti 2013 with 3k from its one owner.  Haven’t got a single picture up yet.  Can’t wait until it is up for sale next week. 

We’ve recently started doing walk round videos on all our stock, We do prep properly but I’m not going around pointing out any minor imperfections. We treat it like you would as if the customer was there.

I find it slightly cringe but if it sells cars I’m all in!

Read this post a couple days ago and was staring to doubt if they are worth the time/effort - customer today comes in for our 65 plate outlander and as I start giving him the pitch.... “it’s okay mate I watched the video”

quick test drive, finance sorted, collection tomorrow! 

Video camera back out Monday :D:D

• Like 2

This question is like asking do people like Films? good films - yes, bad films - no, 

Do videos help sell cars? for my money Good quality videos, nice commentary selling yourself as Rory says and why they should buy from you, and not just a walk round help to sell cars or at the least make the sale easier and quicker. People can walk round any of these cars in their local Tesco car park,-  turn on the sat nav, have the lights on, turn the engine on and let them see the dashboard, open the boot, point out key selling features and keep it short and I've found they help me convert and get people from further afield willing to travel. I'm not sure I've sold more cars, but I do know that people are quicker to buy and less likely to want to chip me when they've watched one of my videos. My local VW dealer puts a film up of every one of their cars and its the same bob basic walk round with backing music, on every single car and its not the best HD quality and for me that would put me off. you don't need to spend loads of time and money and always have loads of good quality images for the people that prefer to view adverts that way - that just me though, each to their own

• Like 1

You all know for me video works, I think its great, it allows me to be completely transparent about the car and stop the pond life from wasting my time. Video forms part of my sales contract which I can refer back to when needed. I cannot praise video any higher as a medium for enhancing sales. 

I also agree with RH and others, bad videos are simply bad videos and very boring, with no comentary or daft "lift music" playing, it just makes you want to turn it off. I keep saying "people buy from people" use video to sell yourself and the car. Now, I get FB from my buyers constantly saying they felt they could & can trust me.....That is what is so important for me in my book. Trust it key.

I truely believe video is a fantastic oportunity for you to sell yourself as a business an your product, whether that is "my way or hightway" like me of whatever suits you, I just think with the way everything is moving online as a business it should be embraced, it is the future. 

Pitches are different with walk-in business, but if you are a Sole Trader who needs the manage their time, its great. Nik, I know you have always been negative towards it, but I am sure with your talents you could really make it work for you..... You just need to believe in it and I am sure you would be bloody good at it aswell !! But hey ho, each to their own 

• Like 1

I haven't been overly negative @Arfur Dealy, I am actually doing it and have done for months but as I reported it does NOTHING MORE than my photos, my ads, my website, my reviews, my everything else already does... 

In fact if I was to do a single video your style pointing every stone chip and every lipped disc on £10-£17K cars I am confident that it will lose me sales. Or margins. Or both. 

Your process as good as it is, works due to your very low pricing. What it does for you is filter your buyers instead of just attracting them. You would get more people, more calls, more viewings without the video. The video is a polite way to say "Here it is, it's used, it has marks etc so if you don't want that please don't come." It's genius. But has limitations. 

I also look at the other type of videos that show a 2 year old 4000 mile car without a single scratch or wear mark and I think for them that might work better but since that isn't really my market (I love adding value, not paying top £ for stock) I think I won't go there just yet. 

Nik, the point I was making was a compliment, with your talent you could enhance your business massively by selling yourself and your business on video.

With your new stocking loan, you are now selling more expensive cars. You could use video to greatly enhance your sales pointing out how spotless and superior they are, not like me describing a few warts on older cars accurately :) 

11 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

With your new stocking loan

I got the compliment, thank you and I returned it like I usually do :-)

The stocking facility I use is from 2016 and before that I used another provider from 2014 so not new. I wish I had it back in 2005 but you live, you learn... 

WTF does this @ shit mean ? I'm not on twatter.......

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I haven't been overly negative

You've never been positive..... If its not for you its not for you. BTW WTF does @ AD mean ? If you talking in twatter talk its not in my remit.

I think you aren’t missing a trick too Nik. 

If it isn’t working and you aren’t seeing the results just yet have a look at a few of the quick 1 minute Instagram and Facebook ones I do that result in sales’s mostly on finance. 

You can mention in video the low rates you offer, the same day drive away all the stuff that can help capture those customers on the well equipped cars. 

If it’s not working just yet it might just be they aren’t quite right when you crack it It will pay off massively mate.

32 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I think you aren’t missing a trick too Nik. 

Did you mean "you ARE missing a trick"?