Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Video does not help me sell (much).

So after months of experimenting, talking to customers, punters, competitors, £££ spent on gadgets and hours in front of a computer screen I can confidently say that while video MIGHT be the future we are not quite there yet. Yes, it is currently overrated. It's a bit like Boris Johnson and Borat from the thread the other night. Lots of noise. Not a lot of result. 

I am on target for my best month ever, videos (albeit short) on every car, on every ad, nice desirable cars, lots of calls, ad views and interest but very few video views. 

"Did you watch my video?": Yes I saw it for a couple of seconds but it was your pictures that mainly drew me to your car although it was more expensive than others. 

"What made you travel 80 miles, was it my video?": No, everyone does videos now, it was your ad and the exact spec on your car. 

"How did you decide to buy from me and not from somewhere closer to you, was it my video?": No, we saw many adverts, sent several emails and your reply was the first that came back. Your car had the right spec too.

So you can be Steven Spielberg and a magician with a video camera but the fact of the matter is: People are still searching for used cars in quite a conventional way and for the moment it's probably best to spend more time writing effective ads on AT than editing movies. 

The above is my own personal experience of course, maybe affected by my inability to create astonishing video content and I know there will be replies that "videos sell cars" etc etc. All I am saying is that for me, today, they don't. Something else drives my buyers. 

I think video does help give buyers confidence in a way, they can actually walk round the car and listen to it something a picture will never be able to do...but...i would say a lot of dealers are not always happy to point out obvious flaws in a cars appearance and would rather a buyer finds it themselves or not as is often the case.

3 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

I think video does help give buyers confidence in a way, they can actually walk round the car and listen to it something a picture will never be able to do

I think this is where video DOESN'T do it for me. The good photos create desire and demand, buyers spend a lot of time looking at the ads online, then get in touch. An average quality video showing what looks like an average quality car (because of my limited video skills, the cars in the metal are great!) probably scares some people away. I do it because of what I read on forums but don't see the results. 

I watch videos of cars offered for sale and some of them actually put me off. 

8 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Yes i agree with this, a badly created video to me is worse than not having one at all.

14 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I'm with Nick on this, I find them boring and tedious to watch I would sooner flick through some GOOD photos at my own pace, but that's just me.

16 minutes ago, Row said:

I'm with Nick on this, I find them boring and tedious to watch I would sooner flick through some GOOD photos at my own pace, but that's just me.

+1

I’d rather see pics too but then, I’m old school and us long-in-the-tooth dinosaurs need to get with the times, so I’ve caved also and started doing it the last couple of months -since August as a direct result of hearing about its value on this forum.

I’m only doing it on new arrivals and I quite like it and the results  

I’d hoped it was the secret weapon’ I’d been missing all these years, and as August was very good, I thought this might be the reason. However, as Nick says- I also keep asking the punters if they’ve seen the video.  Most haven’t (even though it’s right in your face on the website.)

When people ring up to ask about the car, I answer the questions and say ‘have a look at the HD video on the website’. They come in and I ask if they’ve seen it. About half have. Weird, as it only takes three/four minutes of their life after all. 

The ones that have seen it, seem to like it very much- and I can honestly attribute at least one sale to having the video. It seems to be the higher spec cars or things that are a bit ‘different’ where they are seeing the video. It might be more appealing it seems to people out of the area as shows them it is worth their journey.  

I think one issue is (as I’ve said many times before) that although the website is a very important tool/shop window; it’s often not where they’ve seen the car advertised, but rather they’ve seen it on an advertising platform- whether that is eBay, Autoraper or wherever, and for some reason they don’t see the embedded video if there is one. 

Annoyingly, eBay doesn’t seem to be compatible with mobile/Apple products and the video doesn’t show when using these devices. I complained but they say it’s something they are aware of but won’t be addressing in the near future. 

I’ve now started adding a caption to the photos saying ‘see this car’s HD video on our website www.....’.

Time will tell, but I think it is the future unfortunately -like garlic bread. 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

So after months of experimenting, talking to customers, punters, competitors, £££ spent on gadgets and hours in front of a computer screen I can confidently say that while video MIGHT be the future we are not quite there yet. Yes, it is currently overrated. It's a bit like Boris Johnson and Borat from the thread the other night. Lots of noise. Not a lot of result. 

I am on target for my best month ever, videos (albeit short) on every car, on every ad, nice desirable cars, lots of calls, ad views and interest but very few video views. 

"Did you watch my video?": Yes I saw it for a couple of seconds but it was your pictures that mainly drew me to your car although it was more expensive than others. 

"What made you travel 80 miles, was it my video?": No, everyone does videos now, it was your ad and the exact spec on your car. 

"How did you decide to buy from me and not from somewhere closer to you, was it my video?": No, we saw many adverts, sent several emails and your reply was the first that came back. Your car had the right spec too.

So you can be Steven Spielberg and a magician with a video camera but the fact of the matter is: People are still searching for used cars in quite a conventional way and for the moment it's probably best to spend more time writing effective ads on AT than editing movies. 

The above is my own personal experience of course, maybe affected by my inability to create astonishing video content and I know there will be replies that "videos sell cars" etc etc. All I am saying is that for me, today, they don't. Something else drives my buyers. 

As ever, YMMV. If I had to answer Nick's questions with my customers responses it would be, in fact two of the answers were given today to me;

"Did you watch my video?": Yes, absolutely loved it! What a great idea, I haven't seen anyone do that before!

"What made you travel 80 miles, was it my video?": Well that helped, I knew what I was getting before I left the house so I didn't mind travelling"

"How did you decide to buy from me and not from somewhere closer to you, was it my video?": Not really, you had the car I wanted so I was willing to travel, the video just helped me make up my mind I was travelling for the right car

So yeah, YMMV. What I don't think we're quite ready for is the click and collect way of buying that has swept the world these past ten years but it's on it's way. People still can't get their head around handing over large amounts of cash to car dealers without seeing the car. Well, some do obviously but it's not the "done thing" although it will be.

You stock a lot of aspirational cars Nick, not your entire stock but a lot of it. Like Rory does, so people will travel for your cars because it's the only white a6 3.0 tdi avant with black leather and 19" turbine alloys, beautifully photographed and offered with a description that makes them feel like they are buying a brand new SVR Autobiography. 

23 minutes ago, EPV said:

You stock a lot of aspirational cars Nick, not your entire stock but a lot of it. Like Rory does, so people will travel for your cars because it's the only white a6 3.0 tdi avant with black leather and 19" turbine alloys, beautifully photographed and offered with a description that makes them feel like they are buying a brand new SVR Autobiography. 

i think this is spot on and all good to nick 

20 minutes ago, boring dave said:

i think this is spot on and all good to nick 

Agreed. 

A video helps if the car is in great condition. A One minute video has definitely aided in selling my ex nhs cars. Emphasises and supports my description as in these cars are like new.

Would I video a 2008 mondeo with the early onset of rust? Not a chance 

Videos sell cars for me. #TheEnd :) 

Nick I've been saying for years they do, helps me get more money for the cars too as it shows the customer attention to detail and I have nothing to hide.  

17 minutes ago, umesh said:

Videos sell cars for me. #TheEnd :) 

Nick I've been saying for years they do, helps me get more money for the cars too as it shows the customer attention to detail and I have nothing to hide.  

Spot on. 

People buy from people, you are not just simply selling the car, you are selling yourself and your business, you are instilling trust and accuracy. 

8 minutes ago, tradex said:

Well, this is our take on only 3 weeks. It's been quite interesting already. The punters really do fit the price range....

We have done comprehensive video's for each car and, it certainly takes a lot of time up.

Works for the dearer gear, if they have watched the video:- £6.5k Clio " I'm calling on your black Clio, a video what a great idea! Really shows you guys go the extra mile, nice to see an honest description, warts and all, with stone chips and really small bruise below the door rubbing strip and small mark on the alloy wheel..."

Clearly works against the cheaper gear.... if they have even taken the time to watch the video and, have an attention span longer than goldfish:- "I'm calling on your black £1,495 Clio. I saw most of the video - well up the test drive - and really like it, but do you have any Clio's without stone chips, a really small bruise below the rubbing strip, and small mark on the alloy wheel, but again with the low miles, the full service history, the full mot with no advise notes, the pre-sale inspection, the service, the 3 month warranty and recently belted...."

We will continue with the dearer stuff, forget it with for the cheapies, kills the car.

Perhaps. But it also stops the dreamers coming out and moaning about stone chips and bruises on a 10 year old Clio? It saves your time wasted entertaining these morons who won’t buy your car at the advertised price because it has one too many cosmetic blemishes but still want a test drive and time to “think about it” 

Just now, tradex said:

Perhaps, but it also looses us the chance of a site visit to show the car and work from there.

Yeah I understand that but if the cretin you’re dealing with wants gold for the price of silver you aren’t going to convince them of that face to face. Just reiterate in the videos for the cheapies that the car is mechanically sound, without fault, backed up by a new service, MOT and mechanical check. Yes of course, it has a few signs of its age and mileage but it certainly doesn’t drive like it’s age and is a safe, reliable runner. 

Anyone looking for more than that (minted up £1500 car) won’t change their mind by seeing the car and driving it, wasting your time. You can’t talk stone chips and scratches out of a car. 

Video, pictures, description blah blah blah. Yes, they are all bits of armoury that help the job but the meat in the sandwich is still the car, then price and location and anything else is just bizz IMO. This week a Pathfinder flew out with only one picture. On the hand I could get Steven Spielberg to do some photos and video of a Nissan Juke and  Stephen Fry could write the description, it would not make it a better spec, make it a nicer colour and therefore give it more ad views because it's overpriced and as dull as dishwater.

Just now, sparky said:

Video, pictures, description blah blah blah. Yes, they are all bits of armoury that help the job but the meat in the sandwich is still the car, then price and location and anything else is just bizz IMO. This week a Pathfinder flew out with only one picture. On the hand I could get Steven Spielberg to do some photos and video of a Nissan Juke and  Stephen Fry could write the description, it would not make it a better spec, make it a nicer colour and therefore give it more ad views because it's overpriced and as dull as dishwater.

Also very true but if you have a black Nissan Juke Tekna with 50,000 miles on and there are 5 others in a 25 mile radius from you, surely every edge helps you win the punter?

Like you, i’ve sold cars with very few photos. Not every car I have is that desirable sadly! If we could all buy cars we KNOW will sell in 15 days the job would be a lot easier! 

• Like 1

Just now, EPV said:

Also very true but if you have a black Nissan Juke Tekna with 50,000 miles on and there are 5 others in a 25 mile radius from you, surely every edge helps you win the punter?

Like you, i’ve sold cars with very few photos. Not every car I have is that desirable sadly! If we could all buy cars we KNOW will sell in 15 days the job would be a lot easier! 

Agreed. But we mustn't forget the basic fundamentals of the job. Sadly like most things in life the art in KIS seems to be lost. I know I sound like an old man (honestly I'm not), but  the subjects of 'digital marketing' and going off thread 'sports science' (don't get me started on that) really gets on my tits sometimes. And yes, I have got out on the wrong side of bed :D

3 minutes ago, tradex said:

No, that's not what I mean, a video can put off a nervous/uninformed customer straight off the bat, whereas a site visit can smooth those nerves. It's a site thing, they operate the same but differently. But, as they say YMMV on the cheap stuff.

Fair enough!

Not sure i’d want to deal with someone who’s nervous about stone chips and bruises to be honest but I don’t run a site so what do I know! You know your customers i’m sure mate. 

29 minutes ago, EPV said:

Perhaps. But it also stops the dreamers coming out and moaning about stone chips and bruises on a 10 year old Clio? It saves your time wasted entertaining these morons who won’t buy your car at the advertised price because it has one too many cosmetic blemishes but still want a test drive and time to “think about it” 

Spot on. 

31 minutes ago, EPV said:

I'm pretty sure Tradex has a pitch, which is a different ball game to those that do appointment only. The man might come down and waste Tradex's time on the Clio, but it will also give Tradex an 'opportunity to sell' as my old boss used to say on something else, and that's what a pitch is all about, putting up with tyre kickers and turning them into buyers. It's a bit old fashioned but thankfully it still works B)

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Perhaps. But it also stops the dreamers coming out and moaning about stone chips and bruises on a 10 year old Clio?

That it does and perfectly!

But I don't want that. I want them to come over, have a coffee, relax a bit, sit in my office, hear the phone ring several times in several minutes for other cars, "Sorry, we just sold it", talk cars for a while and because I have some very nice ones in addition to the 10yr old whatever it makes them feel better for getting an opportunity to buy it from me. 

How can I sell myself if my video shows several chips and a couple of alloy wheel scuffs and the buyer never rings me assuming the car is just average and a tad overpriced...

Had a call from AT two days ago on a new advert, strong Scottish accent. "I am 350 miles away, can you describe the car to me on the phone?" I said Have a look at our video on the AT advert, he had missed it so I texted him a link to the video below. He never called back. I don't know what put him off, maybe the location, some wear on the driver's seat if he didn't see it in the pictures or my large Eastern European head reflecting in the paintwork. I'll never know. Could've been just a dreamer...

Edited by Nick M.K.

Keep going guys,this topic is very interesting.’Aspirational cars’,I like that expression,with detailed videos helping to attract out of your area punters etc,all good stuff.

8 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Aspirational cars, I like that expression

Me too. With my limited English years ago if I was asked to think of another expression to describe them I would use "Money pit" :lol:

• Like 1