Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

October

5 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

humbug :lol:

Well it’s just such bollocks isn’t it!?

Unless you’ve got kids under teenage (when they’re not ‘really’ annoying) years. 

Before long we’ll be asked that most annoying question of ‘what do you want for Xmas?’

‘You to stop buying stuff off Amazon’ doesn’t count as an answer apparently....

I’ve had this idea for years (but my Mrs. says I’m just a miserable F***) that it should be every leap year!

3 minutes ago, James01 said:

Still absolutely dead here but have kept buying and have cars coming out of my ears! 

What part of the country are you in James?

2 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Well it’s just such bollocks isn’t it!?

Unless you’ve got kids under teenage (when they’re not ‘really’ annoying) years. 

Before long we’ll be asked that most annoying question of ‘what do you want for Xmas?’

‘You to stop buying stuff off Amazon’ doesn’t count as an answer apparently....

I’ve had this idea for years (but my Mrs. says I’m just a miserable F***) that it should be every leap year!

xmas begins on the 23rd of december in my house !

although marks and spencer had a "xmas offer" on half price biscuit tins last week, and i must admit i purchased :unsure:

• Like 1

South east. 

It will pick up again always does, hopefully! 

Edited by James01

We’re south coast (Hants). Funny old game isn’t it? Yeah...just when you’re about to hang yourself it usually turns around.  

August was great but October was dire. 

Gotta be positive in that it’s good you’ve got the stock ready to pounce.

Edited by NOACROSS

We must be close then as I am Hampshire also.

I always seem to be where I need to be come the end of the month which is what matters really. I've been doing this 10 years now and still have no idea when it will be busy or quiet, there is no pattern to it at all. Feast or famine.

Edited by James01

So true. It ‘provides but doesn’t excel’ on the whole; and may perform well just before a VAT bill etc. ....

8 hours ago, Dealer said:

Yes

I am also south east and never known it so quiet. 

The job has always came and gone in the 30 plus years I have been doing it yet we always say that it has never been so quiet. We look at whatever we can blame to justify why we aren't selling(Weather, kids off school, Christmas coming up, Lady Diana popping her clogs etc)

Look at the time and recap on the basics because when you have had a busy time they tend to slip, rephoto cars, walk around them and have a critical look etc etc.

It is temporary(I hope lol)

Keep the faith

Some comfort knowing that everyone is in the same boat. One always starts to question themselves when it goes quiet and consider slashing prices but if there are no buyers there are no buyers. 

Price always plays a part but it is NOT everything.

I am (normally) always above AT retail checker and invariably (unless a rare car) I rarely appear on page one of searches.  My stock takes much longer to sell than most but it does always sell, you just need that one person for that one car.

I remain convinced that for most sensible and normal (the ones I want to deal with anyway) people see paying £250-500 more for a straight car, low owners, plenty of history and well prepped backed by a good warranty (in house) and on their doorstep as good value (or better value than driving hundreds of miles in the hope they might find a golden egg, only to be dissapointed by a poorly described advert).

Having said that, I am so so so so quiet this month (and last to a degree) but did get a Volvo V70 away yesterday (deposit left) with a healthy margin deep in to four figures and a repeat customer is finally coming to collect their BMW they reserved at the weekend with similar margins.  So finally a few quid back in my direction.

I target 8-10 cars for any given month and so far have only done 2 retail (good margins) and 1 Ebay auction (loss £150).  Way behind.  It always comes back, so as others have said - don't panic, tweak adverts, clean cars, clean the office and workshop/showroom - get ready for a flood of enquiries.

I had a long chat with EPV (James) the other day and he offered me some sound advice and took the time to review a couple of my ads for me - it really does help to talk to fellow traders in this "lonely" at times job.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

I am also south east and never known it so quiet. 

Same location and we've been dead all month. The only footfall I had all day yesterday summed up the month by offering £600 off a 3k minter...promptly shown the door but it says it all really

Just now, tradex said:

Fences got painted last time this happened as did 'car mat mountain', the batteries got weight in etc....but fences are still OK, no mat mountain and only 5 batteries. Learn a langauge, Rumainian maybe useful around here?

I've got 20 litres of weedkiller and a garden strimmer to play with today so i'll be alright. The less I converse with billys the better at the moment!

I feel sorry for you guys with sites with set opening hours when it is this quiet. I moved from a big roadside site to an industrial unit about a year ago and when it was quiet being sat in that showroom waiting for customers to walk on used to be soul destroying. At least I can lock up and bugger off home now! 

35 minutes ago, James01 said:

I feel sorry for you guys with sites with set opening hours when it is this quiet. I moved from a big roadside site to an industrial unit about a year ago and when it was quiet being sat in that showroom waiting for customers to walk on used to be soul destroying. At least I can lock up and bugger off home now! 

James, mind if i pm you with some questions? 

12 minutes ago, Dealer said:

James, mind if i pm you with some questions? 

Of course, fire away. 

Super quiet here nothing going on. usually over one a day nothing this week so far.

given up buying at auction as its so expensive.

10 for the month need to finish on at least 20b to pay the bills .

DOOM AND GLOOM !!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, tradex said:

so "the only way is up", according to that girl with the bleached cropped hair;)

nothing go-in on but the rent

i prefer

Absolutely dead here too. We are tucked down in the corner of Essex, on the Herts and north London borders.

..looking on the brightside, the Vat man will not be getting anywhere near his usual chunk in December if business stays as it is. 

I have to say that I have been trading for myself for 27 years now...and business has never felt so off kilter as its been feeling lately. Nothing seems to add up or make any sense.

Also this 'October' thread must have touched a few. Just look at the amount of views in such a short space of time.

Edited by Tony F

16 hours ago, tradex said:

so "the only way is up", according to that girl with the bleached cropped hair;)

Yaz 

A lot of my dealers are quiet, where as I have been lucky PDR work is building on the retail side as customers are getting wise too it, obviously getting a lot more per dent makes the job even nicer, tool sales for Delta products has been as normal, although oversea's enquiries have dropped off. Fleet work for screens stays as busy as usual, this often picks up over Xmas as the trucks do more miles, overall happy times. I should add that quality of life, 4 day week etc. is more important to me now than an extra few bob in the bank.

5 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Yaz 

With the plastic population?