Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Nooby Question

Having taken the advice of several off here i’m going to a live auction tomorrow. I’ve bought either privately or online before and I’ve only ever caught one cold from fifty cars so i’m careful what I buy but we’re about to really find out what my skills are like. 

The question is, what do you chaps ask the driver of the vehicle in the Hall? Obvious things like “any lights on” or “does the clutch feel worn” are a given and I know not all the drivers will be warm and embracing. So what are your favoured questions you put to the driver in the line up? 

Cheers in advance 

Over the years i've made a point of making friends with a few drivers at a couple of my regular auctions. It pays off.

But many drivers are agency and are not necessarily qualified to comment on what is a good or bad 'clutch'.

good luck

Edited by met

Personally, I don’t rely on the driver for things like lights on dash, I look every time for myself. It takes seconds, as well as checking stuff like window switches. B)

Just get yourself around, in and over the car like you would with buying from a private, admittedly in a limited window of time. 

• Like 1

Don’t trust the drivers until you’ve got to trust one or two, best option get there early. Sometimes the keys are in the car and you can precheck it. Always watch it start in case it smokes, check inside edge of tyres and lipping on discs. Again watch remote central locking opens all doors... you’ll learn more by watching some of the pros, you’ll also see who you are potentially bidding against...

Oh and walk round the car like  you own it. Don’t feel intimidated

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Don’t trust the drivers until you’ve got to trust one or two, best option get there early. Sometimes the keys are in the car and you can precheck it. Always watch it start in case it smokes, check inside edge of tyres and lipping on discs. Again watch remote central locking opens all doors... you’ll learn more by watching some of the pros, you’ll also see who you are potentially bidding against...

Oh and walk round the car like  you own it. Don’t feel intimidated

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

you’ll learn more by watching some of the pros, you’ll also see who you are potentially bidding against...

The pros being the ones in the branded jacket, pointy shoes walking around with their clipboards touching every tyre you mean? <_<

4 minutes ago, c_cars said:

The pros being the ones in the branded jacket, pointy shoes walking around with their clipboards touching every tyre you mean? <_<

I’m looking at stuff around the £2500 CC price point (looking to expand my stock levels and hold some bread and butter stock) so there’ll be no such people around the ones i’m interested in! 

Some great advice offered so far chaps, keep it coming. 

16 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Question;

If the keys are in the vehicle, are we allowed to start the car? I assume not but what about putting the ignition on? 

This is BCA, by the way. 

I am usually at some distance from the car i am looking at  wanting to see it start, Did it struggle was it healthy, Cars are started 30-40 seconds before they start moving, its your slim chance to be in the car and check the things you need to before the auction guy gets in to bring it to hall, catch the auction guys attention and  bit very conservatively so no one knows

9 minutes ago, EPV said:

This is BCA, by the way. 

Which auction are you planning on doing?

3 minutes ago, c_cars said:

Which auction are you planning on doing?

Blackbushe 

Do your research before getting there, find out any niggles with any potential cars your looking at like camchain rattle when cold or whiney gearboxes. They will look completely different in person than they do on the bca website, so check for rust spots on the sills and arches. Also windscreen chips are easy to miss!

Make sure you don't over bid aswell! Its really easy to get caught up in a bidding war with someone who only wants a £200 profit! Just leave it and move on, you're just loosing money to win low profits! 

Also, might be worth hanging around till the end as some of them come back through for whatever reason, loads of people start to leave about half hour before with the last few lots, so there's less people to bid against. Ive had many a bargain by doing this!

1 minute ago, Mikey360 said:

Make sure you don't over bid aswell! Its really easy to get caught up in a bidding war with someone who only wants a £200 profit! Just leave it and move on, you're just loosing money to win low profits! 

This and keeping it low key, don’t get the attention of your competition if you can help it. 

Some drivers just talk rubbish some are helpful who is who will become clear over time, bread and butter stuff is sometimes hard work as a lot of dealers look to make money on finance, I have found margins are tighter than ever this year. 

Comes down to what you can add value to.

i really so enjoy the cut and thrust of an auction. 

Loads good advice above, the keys will go onto the cars around 5mins before they move to auction hall, some will be open though.

You're not insured to start them, so be careful, I reckon it would be frowned on.

Short list a couple of other cars your not so interested in but know something about to get the hang of how it works.. checking them over/bidding/prices.. Watch the auctioneers, these guys are real sharks too... bouncing prices off the wall etc Compare "sample motors" to the BCA reports, you maybe surprised how inaccurate they are.

Once the keys are available on the vehicles, a driver will be along smartish whilst the car is still in the line up.. pop the boot/bonnet now, but aim to give it a good going over before this if you going to bid on it. The ones youre keen on, check it isnt leaving a pool of oil behind when its moved..... ;) as above, treat it like a private purchase. 

If its one of the first through of the day, it wont reach reserve and they more than likely wont let it go; however they can "mysteriously" come back through an hour later unannounced when the auctioneer thinks bidders are warming up!..

Dont get distracted; check the start time of your auction, get a coffee and find check the ones on your shortlist, Be prepared to walk away..

I think Nick MK frequents Blackbushe so perhaps Monday is his day and for the price of coffee he may show you some more..

If possible hang around until the end; you may see some silly bargains!

Best advice of all, enjoy it and take it all in.. its a learning curve.. You will be going back again, I assure you.. that's not an assured report BTW

If the key is in start it up - just do what you want easier to ask forgiveness than permission, your money bring up the clutch to biting point etc.

I have not been to an Auction in person for ages might have a day out myself aswell actually some point miss the places, and the canteens.

13 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I have not been to an Auction in person for ages might have a day out myself aswell actually some point miss the places, and the canteens.

Same, Brighouse breakfast was one of the best. 

20 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Loads good advice above, the keys will go onto the cars around 5mins before they move to auction hall, some will be open though.

You're not insured to start them, so be careful, I reckon it would be frowned on.

Short list a couple of other cars your not so interested in but know something about to get the hang of how it works.. checking them over/bidding/prices.. Watch the auctioneers, these guys are real sharks too... bouncing prices off the wall etc Compare "sample motors" to the BCA reports, you maybe surprised how inaccurate they are.

Once the keys are available on the vehicles, a driver will be along smartish whilst the car is still in the line up.. pop the boot/bonnet now, but aim to give it a good going over before this if you going to bid on it. The ones youre keen on, check it isnt leaving a pool of oil behind when its moved..... ;) as above, treat it like a private purchase. 

If its one of the first through of the day, it wont reach reserve and they more than likely wont let it go; however they can "mysteriously" come back through an hour later unannounced when the auctioneer thinks bidders are warming up!..

Dont get distracted; check the start time of your auction, get a coffee and find check the ones on your shortlist, Be prepared to walk away..

I think Nick MK frequents Blackbushe so perhaps Monday is his day and for the price of coffee he may show you some more..

If possible hang around until the end; you may see some silly bargains!

Best advice of all, enjoy it and take it all in.. its a learning curve.. You will be going back again, I assure you.. that's not an assured report BTW

Very good advice there! 

2 hours ago, EPV said:

Blackbushe 

More importantly, good dining facilities there. 

1 hour ago, c_cars said:

Same, Brighouse breakfast was one of the best.

Good breakfast but the guy who runs it wow , just try making him laugh :) 

We got some half price vouchers and wrote "Marks sausage Addiction Voucher on it " made him grunt but he didn't break the frown :) 

Rest of the staff make up for him though and the food is good . 

Better price than  auction :) 

Edited by David Horgan

Pop the bonnet, be wary of anything that has a broken bonnet release !

When the bonnets up and a small crowd gather round shout " headgasket " then slam the bonnet down and walk away....might put a few privates off !

If all else fails as the car drives through get the bonnet popped, tell driver to give it a bit of gas using a hand gesture and then walk away without even attempting to bid, on every. Single. Car.

I look for the cars with the broken bonnet release cable as long as you can still access the engine bay, and the seized handbrake cable,whining pump. Those are the bargains at auction otherwise your paying pretty strong money at least at auctions I go to. What's a cable?.. 15quid, a caliper 50quid. Picked up a relativey low mileage mondeo for 1200 all in last week. OK I had hassle of fixing in a supermarket car park few hundred yards from auction house but well worth it. I see in grand in that car . You don't buy a sub 3k car at auctions without faults.. 

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

If the key is in start it up - just do what you want easier to ask forgiveness than permission, your money bring up the clutch to biting point etc.

Yeah, I'm a clicker these days but went to my local Wilsons last week and had my first physical bids for years. It's all in the eyebrows.....

43 minutes ago, tradex said:

all about knowing your market and keeping it to yourself 

You can't really be quite active in a public forum where everyone knows your website and keep the market to yourself :-)

• Like 1

Hi EPV

What are you looking at Blackbushe, ill watch online :D

I promise i wont bid :ph34r: