Basie

Trade and Retail guide

Hi everyone. Thank you for all the advice I got on my last (and first) topic. I decided to go with Covea at £950/yr for Motor Trade insurance. Hope this next one is an easy one. What is the best value for money guide to Trade and Retail values for cars and Vans? I spoke to Glass @ £630 plus vat, Solera Cap @ £665 plus vat and Parkers (they only do values for the last 7 years?). Not having to much experience I was wondering if one of these indicate what are easy movers, don't want to buy cars/vans and be stuck with it. Any advise will be appreciated. 

I don’t use any of those. Sometimes I wonder how much to drink the chap who wrote had taken. 

Work retail back, find out what the correct retail price it is (based on what’s available, desirable colour or not) find a slot for it in the market and deduct all your costs. That leaves you with your maximum bid. 

• Like 2

Autotrader price guide via their trade portal, it's free and accurate I'd never pay for a price guide, most auctions provide guide prices anyway

• Like 1

CAP. This is what BCA use and this is where most of my stock is coming from so it makes sense to use that. 

This is also important when you take part exes. Retail back? Doesn't always work in your favour. CAP could be £1900, AT Retail could be £4200, you can easily pay £3000 for a part ex that you could get for £1700. 

Always check WBAC as well. 

Always check WBAC as well.

+1 for part exchanges.

As the customers often get a value from them first and they are usually lower than Autotrader.

As has been said above - no point paying for a guide.

Autoraper has a FREE to anyone car valuation via their customer site (you don't need to advertise with the highway robbers) that gives PX value, Private Sale and Retail.  Aslo there is a FREE Hpi Cap valuation one too that does the same - and WBAC is also useful

However- retail back obliviously.

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 1

Have you noticed how high some WBAC valuations are on older cars are suddenly?

Chap said he wanted £800 for 04 95,000 polo 1,4cc auto/ac,came up at £910 valuation.He made allowance for damage.

11 minutes ago, friar said:

Chap said he wanted £800 for 04 95,000 polo 1,4cc auto/ac,came up at £910 valuation.He made allowance for damage.

Perhaps they’ve been looking at Dealer Auction recently.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, friar said:

Yes because their algorithm "knows" that the 1994 Polo will have at least £700 worth of damage and after their £69 transaction charge the customer will go home with cool £140 in his pocket. 

1 hour ago, twerp said:

Don't buy green cars.

CAP don't tell you that.

They used to.

• Like 1

Weirdly. I like green. Green is the next thing. Who’d have thought white would be desirable!

White was desirable in the late 80's and early 90's and 20 years later came back into fashion, I can't think that green has ever had that but will give you a call with them if it's your dab.;)

in the 80.s hated white on fords because you got them painted  but the crystals of death crept out in the winter

ask trade vet:)

green never a good seller

On 9/14/2018 at 3:54 PM, NOACROSS said:

As has been said above - no point paying for a guide.

Autoraper has a FREE to anyone car valuation via their customer site (you don't need to advertise with the highway robbers) that gives PX value, Private Sale and Retail.  Aslo there is a FREE Hpi Cap valuation one too that does the same - and WBAC is also useful

However- retail back obliviously.

I started using HPI Cap, works great but now they have blocked me on my laptop and mobile. They now want payment, how do I get pass that?

You can register with them for a trade account or:

Use another device or computer or another browser.  You'll get a load more free goes then.

However, why not use Autoraper's free valuation tool?

• Like 1

A little hint of irony there mate. 

“I hate AT with a passion but i’ll recommend their free stuff all day long”

;)

Ha - yes. I use HPi valuation via a paid for account mostly if I'm honest, although I will use AT one occasionally if the punter is in front of me and they don't like my PX valuation.  Often AT is pretty much the same so the punter then folds.

However they want as many as possible to land on their site to see their sponsored ads etc (and I can assure you they had many years of between 20-40 grand a year out of me so if I can get a little back I will ;0)

Edited by NOACROSS

15 minutes ago, tradex said:

My Mercedes dealer friend tells me they have sold a fair few green cars recently, mostly A and B for some reason?

was in the 90's around here....seemed like every Granada, Scorpio, Fiesta, Mondeo, Cougar was Tourmaline, Juice, Java, Tourmallard....and Citrine if you can include thatB)

your probably right thinking back but those mk2 fezzies in the 80.s were bad for the crystals:lol:

4 hours ago, tradex said:

My Mercedes dealer friend tells me they have sold a fair few green cars recently, mostly A and B for some reason?

Elbaite Green which was an exclusive colour for the A45 AMG and now they've started painting the white goods versions in the same hue.

Edited by twerp

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Is that Fern Green I keep seeing on the yummy mummy B's?

Ahh, google is my friend, yup that's the hue 'n maybe worth a cry to the rooftops, that at least it ain't "I'm a sheep"  white, I so hate white cars, okay on a Hotpoint though.

2016 Mercedes-Benz A-Class A 220d 4MATIC (Elbaite Green) - Front, #27 of 43

I like that colour, I like green in general.

B)

Urine Gold is also very popular.

This used to be called ‘Jewish Racing Gold’ I remember by my old man/the other traders when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

big mike had a gold car the last time i had one too

ive never ever purchased another one, but have indeed bought kermit green ones since i especially like the clio green one 

I use this app as a guide, “ Check Car Value “ it was only a few pounds on the Apple App Store, gives a good starting point,

then retail back obviously :)