Del Boy

Dvla Refund

Interested to know your thoughts on this. 

I sold a car to a chap 5 months back, he part exchanged an old smoker that’s been sitting collecting dust in my unit ever since. 

He emails me today saying he has only just noticed that the tax wasn’t cancelled on his smoker and he has been paying by DD for 5 months and the dvla don’t wanna know. 

He wants me to refund him the £130 as it’s my fault. 

I sent the yellow slip off but dvla haven’t received it apparently. 

Edited by Del Boy

It’s his responsibility to cancel the direct debit. Tell him politely it’s his responsibility to manage his own banking affairs and ask how you are supposed to control direct debits that leave his personal bank account each month?

Then state you will not be entering into any further discussions on this matter. 

Oh, and start transferring ownerships of cars online. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EPV said:

It’s his responsibility to cancel the direct debit. Tell him politely it’s his responsibility to manage his own banking affairs and ask how you are supposed to control direct debits that leave his personal bank account each month?

Then state you will not be entering into any further discussions on this matter. 

Oh, and start transferring ownerships of cars online. 

This. LIKE x 1,000,000,000

oops sorry to repeat, missed the last line that EPV typed

2 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Interested to know your thoughts on this. 

I sold a car to a chap 5 months back, he part exchanged an old smoker that’s been sitting collecting dust in my unit ever since. 

He emails me today saying he has only just noticed that the tax wasn’t cancelled on his smoker and he has been paying by DD for 5 months and the dvla don’t wanna know. 

He wants me to refund him the £130 as it’s my fault. 

I sent the yellow slip off but dvla haven’t received it apparently. 

Give the customer the yellow slip is the correct way , or do it online and print out the swap to trade so customer knows its done .

Then it never going to be your fault .

I do the V5 online but px cars get the yellow slip signed and stamped , then given to customer , their contract is then, them & DVLA  "simples :) "

if you dont like the customer give them the yellow slip back with your details on and tell them they need to post it and look out for the confirmation letter from dvla

this opts you out of any grief

or do it online while customer waits print off a confirmation letter if you like them

never post to dvla as if it gets lost in the post you get hassles you dont need

Edited by boring dave

If you read the V5 correctly, it’s the customers responsibility to send the yellow slip away.

Remind the customer of this and put a full stop after it.

Tell him to f. off - it’s his problem & his responsibility. I wouldn’t waste more than 30 seconds of my life on this.

14 hours ago, Stalker said:

If you read the V5 correctly, it’s the customers responsibility to send the yellow slip away.

Remind the customer of this and put a full stop after it.

Most of the V5's out there were printed before the DVLA on line system started. The new V5's all state on the yellow slip that the purchase should be notified on line, or post the slip.

We always notify on line in front of customer. Print off the DVLA receipt and staple to V5 for filing. Customer gets an immediate email from DVLA confirming. Job done - next customer please...

Tell him whilst you was sorting his dd's and standing orders out and ensuring all the chqs he had issued had been cashed you noticed his gym membership was also still active. 

We had an idiot phone call this morning must be something in the air, customer rings bought a car of you last year and noticed the locking wheel nut isnt in the car, dig the guys bill out electronically saved on the pc in front of me, and i reminded him he signed for it under box 11 of his receipt he replied with can i prove it was his signature as me might have copied it !! 

I suggested a local garage to take his nuts off and maybe a the local hospital to see if he has a screw lose.

and now off to buy some grapes.  

2 hours ago, MOTORS said:

Most of the V5's out there were printed before the DVLA on line system started. The new V5's all state on the yellow slip that the purchase should be notified on line, or post the slip.

It still says its the registered keepers duty to notify.

Never take responsibility for something that is down to the customer such as sending off the yellow slip. I always give it to them to deal with. Likewise, I always take responsibility for making sure the new car is registered to them - I dont want parking tickets because they havent bothered to send the V5 off.

But he cant ask you for the money. His banking is his responsibility. Tell him that in a very straight to the point 30second conversation. No need to apologize for his ignorance.