Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

New engine in a 100K car, good selling point or not?

Possibly picking up a well looked after 2008 golf TDI tomorrow,

It's had the engine replaced a few years ago (professional job, receipts to back it up)

Has this ever put punters off with you guys? Or are they happy its got a fresh one in?

I’ll be in a similar spot soon, although its a recon job rather than a replacement so i’ll say nowt in the advert and tell the billy when they arrive. 

I think it would put most people off, like they car has been tainted somehow. Which is daft but there you go. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

It's had the engine replaced a few years ago (professional job, receipts to back it up)

I assume with your careful wording the replacement engine wasn’t a NEW replacement.

Assuming this to be the case destroy every receipt & reference to it and just sell it as a ‘normal’ car. Forget all of the bullshit about ‘low mileage engine’ or, God forbid, a reconditioned engine (modern engines do NOT respond well to cheap recon’s in back street garages - they’re things of exceptionally fine tolerances).

• Like 1

As above. 

Never mention new engines, rebuilds, gearboxes, resprays etc. It will scare off the punters if you do. Weird, but true. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BHM said:

I assume with your careful wording the replacement engine wasn’t a NEW replacement.

Assuming this to be the case destroy every receipt & reference to it and just sell it as a ‘normal’ car. Forget all of the bullshit about ‘low mileage engine’ or, God forbid, a reconditioned engine (modern engines do NOT respond well to cheap recon’s in back street garages - they’re things of exceptionally fine tolerances).

I'm guessing its a reconditioned one, i'll keep it on the low down on the advert but tell them when qualifying them

Thanks for the tips guys!

For me personally I would never look twice at an advert that states new engine fitted however good the workmanship was. Yes I know there’s a chance I’ve owned a car that’s had major work done at some point but i’d rather not know about it.

Lets face it even for a qualified mechanic it’s a bit like building Ikea furniture. You always end up with a few bits left over. 

• Like 2

make no mention, when they've gone and your counting the folding ensure the receipt for the engine is in with the paperwork for the car [receipt] just in case of any future comeback.

kiss= keep it simple

don't confuse the customer 

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Like 1

Unless it’s s new engine fitted buy the manufacturer, keep your mouth shut....

As BHM says, destroy all evidence, don’t mention it. 

I would not mention it. Its not relevant and comes with the same warranty on any other car I am selling. Mention it and 1 year down the line they have a problem they will latch onto that fact and you will never hear the end of it.

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Unless it’s s new engine fitted buy the manufacturer, keep your mouth shut....

As BHM says, destroy all evidence, don’t mention it. 

^This^

Unless OE manufacurer supplied and fitted new, say nothing as 100k is nothing nowadays.

Peoples interpretation of "new engine" varies - complete engine, short engine, head, rebuild or new - ancilliaries etc

You'd be opening yourself up to 12 months engine warranty if you're not careful.

I’m glad most seem to agree.

12 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Peoples interpretation of "new engine" varies - complete engine, short engine, head, rebuild or new - ancilliaries etc

The bare minimum usually and, tbh, half of the time ‘new’ actually means ‘secondhand’.

I would be up front and explain providing full details of the engine change. 

only joking whilst I like to different burn all records and scatter the ashes. 

• Like 1

Cracking up on these comments!

So judging by the history, it was actually replaced by VW cooks in Peterborough after a bolt flew out the block a month after they bought it from there.

Still, As advised, keeping it on the low down. Its not like its a MK3 capri with a professionally reconditioned 2.8i engine replacement! 

21 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Cracking up on these comments!

So judging by the history, it was actually replaced by VW cooks in Peterborough after a bolt flew out the block a month after they bought it from there.

Still, As advised, keeping it on the low down. Its not like its a MK3 capri with a professionally reconditioned 2.8i engine replacement! 

is that blueprinted?

of course you  tuffrided the crank

did you uprate the oil pump too????????

see a cardigan for everything:lol:

• Like 1

I have put the odd recon engine in and not mentioned it. Your just opening a can of worms 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrs maybe said:

is that blueprinted?

of course you  tuffrided the crank

did you uprate the oil pump too????????

see a cardigan for everything:lol:

Yes yes and yes to all of the above ofcourse ;)

Edited by Mikey360

When I had the Transmission firm, all the Car Sales customers would ask us not to paint the unit we were fitting, and they would not advertise the Car with "Rebuilt Auto Gearbox".

We would give them "Trade Discount" but only had to guarantee it until it was sold, then it was down to "Warranty Company" :D 

Some times we got paid twice for the same Cars Auto Box within a Year :D  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

the reason you KEEP the receipt of the engine and not destroy it is in case of any future claims ie, small claims, 

I was wondering about that, so keep it and not leave it in the service history??

11 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

I was wondering about that, so keep it and not leave it in the service history??

keep it, dont tell the punter,and as i say, any possible future claim you can prove its sold with a good engine

• Like 1

Just bought a 2006 Cayman with a rebuilt engine, car covered 84k and engine rebuilt 10k ago (liners, pistons, etc the lot - £8k spent). Picked it up for less than a similarly spec'd car went through with 99k on the clock. Engine rebuild on a cayman is a good thing a step liners get scored easy, but the market still seems to prefer them without !

On 16/08/2018 at 8:14 AM, have a word with the wife said:

keep it, dont tell the punter,and as i say, any possible future claim you can prove its sold with a good engine

Well, no not really, all you can prove is it is sold with a replacement Engine ;)

Its a mechanical version of Cat C/D - Different bodywork, but in this case, different engine! Not a bad thing really just depends on peoples perspective..