Miz

New start up

Hello, 

this is my first ever post so please don't be mean to me :-)

i am currently looking at starting up a used car dealer and thought id post here to have some support, can anyone tell me what is exactly needed for em to start this in UK e.g licensing etc..

i had spoken to a used car dealer when i bought my car last year and they told me the fund this thorough a car traders finance.

they also said they have some sort of agreement with BMW to purchase ex leased cars from them in bulk, can this be actually done or is it just fibbs?

I look forward to all your replies :-)

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Miz said:

Hello, 

i am currently looking at starting up a used car dealer and thought id post here to have some support, can anyone tell me what is exactly needed for em to start this in UK e.g licensing etc..

i had spoken to a used car dealer when i bought my car last year and they told me the fund this thorough a car traders finance.

they also said they have some sort of agreement with BMW to purchase ex leased cars from them in bulk, can this be actually done or is it just fibbs?

Thanks

Your doomed :ph34r:

Forget getting anything from main dealers. As a rule, anyway. With a dip in the new car market they are hanging onto the returns and swappers instead of trading them out locally. Those they don’t want they mostly have a policy of sending em all off to auction. 

Onviously some traders have long standing relationships with local main dealers/franchises but you don’t or won’t get those relationship quickly either. You’ll have to eat some shit to get to the fillet steak. 

By locally and privately, learn what works round your way. Oh and read the last months worth of posts on here. It will answer lots of questions.

Hi Miz

You need skill,knowledge and experience to succeed in this job.As you don’t appear to have that,I would suggest that first of all you should buy one or two low priced older cars.After you have mot’d and cleaned them,try selling them from where you live.You will need to be prepared to lose money and get regularly kicked in the teeth with problems in the first 2 years........When you have bought some stock,you could let us know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miz said:

Hello, 

Thanks

I’m seriously losing the will to live....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miz said:

Hello, 

I'll wish you the best of luck ;)

I've been in the Motor Trade for 40 years and some

Everyone will tell you, expect a long & tough journey ;)

Cheers Dave

Edited by Dave2302

2 hours ago, Miz said:

Hello, 

Thanks

What's your background?

51 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’m seriously losing the will to live....

:lol: You beat me to it.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Hi Miz

You need skill,knowledge and experience to succeed in this job.As you don’t appear to have that,I would suggest that first of all you should buy one or two low priced older cars.After you have mot’d and cleaned them,try selling them from where you live.You will need to be prepared to lose money and get regularly kicked in the teeth with problems in the first 2 years........When you have bought some stock,you could let us know.

ARFUR, this is the polite (and dare I say sensible) version of your comment.

Welcome MIZ, hold on tight for the comments :D

I forgot to add, if you’re looking for people “not to be mean to you” you’re definitely in the wrong game. Plenty of punters, suppliers, the authorise etc will be mean to you. I had an appointment booked this evening for a chap who told me yesterday that “he was definitely 100% coming” despite me asking him to text if he wasn’t, no hard feelings. He didn’t show up. 

Dont bother buying cars and setting out on this journey if you’re looking for people to be nice to you. They aren’t. People are c*nts. 

*authorities 

18 minutes ago, EPV said:

I had an appointment booked this evening for a chap who told me yesterday that “he was definitely 100% coming” despite me asking him to text if he wasn’t, no hard feelings. He didn’t show up. 

"I'll definitely let you know if anything changes"....how many times have I heard that?
I've even had people turn up, look the car over and and leave without having the decency to knock the door and tell me they're not interested.

I’ve got no problem with newcomers. Well done for putting your hands up and coming here for advice. 

What really fucks me off is when people try it for 2 weeks, ask us every question under the sun, get the ump when we’re hard on them, then give up because they didn’t get rich over night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miz said:

they told me the fund this thorough a car traders finance

You absolutely need to learn how to sell cars quickly and profitably before getting dealer finance. It will be several years before you get there so you might as well start with cheap stuff that you can fund with (not a lot of) your own money and sell in days, not in weeks. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

Hello all,

many thanks for your replies, I was defenatly looking forward to it, thought I’d  ask the question to see how it really is in the trade, I have bought and sold a few cars of my own and I get   People are c*nts :-)

As for background, I was a vehicle technician at one point before moving in to the world of finance and now I’m just bored lol

Btw I love all your comments but some of you guys are just right basterds :-p 

nah I’m only messing.

1 minute ago, Miz said:

Btw I love all your comments but some of you guys are just right basterds

Not "some".

I'd say also work on your spelling :-).  

55 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I've even had people turn up, look the car over and and leave without having the decency to knock the door and tell me they're not interested.

well thats your fault, dont mean to be hard here but it is your job to sell the car or find out why theyre not interested, if you dont do this then you will never know why the car isnt selling

let me give you a example

customer 1 comes, removes oil cap, milky, walks away.

you clean the cap

customer 2 comes, removes oil cap, clean, buys the car.

youve wasted time, money and advertising by not finding out why the 1st customer walked.

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

:lol:

All I wanted to do was ‘get rich over-night’ and all I got was abuse :P

Edited by Miz

2 minutes ago, Miz said:

All I wanted to do was ‘get rich over-night’ and all I got was abuse :P

My advice is, to get the best out of this forum, is to work shit out for yourself. When you need genuine help, you’ll get it. But you won’t be spoon fed, not saying you want it but just saying. 

12 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

well thats your fault, dont mean to be hard here but it is your job to sell the car or find out why theyre not interested, if you dont do this then you will never know why the car isnt selling

let me give you a example

customer 1 comes, removes oil cap, milky, walks away.

you clean the cap

customer 2 comes, removes oil cap, clean, buys the car.

youve wasted time, money and advertising by not finding out why the 1st customer walked.

No I mean when they turn up and I'm still inside the house, I give them a minute to ring the bell, and then realise they've left just based on the exterior of the car.

Why not get a job (part time preferably) working in a dealership or an independent for a year or so and learn the ropes? See if you can 'buy' some of their PX's or buy some cheap cars, and sell on, make some contacts, learn how to prep etc?

17 hours ago, tradegirl said:

"I'll definitely let you know if anything changes"....how many times have I heard that?

Sorry Tradegirl but if this happens your preparation must be poor.

7 hours ago, tradegirl said:

No I mean when they turn up and I'm still inside the house, I give them a minute to ring the bell, and then realise they've left just based on the exterior of the car.

3 hours ago, Row said:

+1

Not good showing if they don't even think the car is worth talking to the seller, even to try and knock a bit off

20 minutes ago, D&M said:

+1

Not good showing if they don't even think the car is worth talking to the seller, even to try and knock a bit off

3 hours ago, Row said:

This is going back a couple of years. Even so, it wasn't down to prep. I hate wasting my time even more than I jate wasting the customer's time. So if a viewing is arranged, the customer is aware of any issues with the condition. Cars are cleaned up, T Cut done, cleaned and shined inside.

However my time's been wasted most by the "we're viewing a few cars today" brigade. Not saying I'm perfect, but I know what prep I do for viewings, and I've been left clueless as to what they've seen wrong with the car. I've sold a fair few cars, and can confidently say those 1-2 occasions were not my fault.

They however, are still rude for not at least knocking the door.

21 hours ago, EPV said:

I forgot to add, if you’re looking for people “not to be mean to you” you’re definitely in the wrong game. Plenty of punters, suppliers, the authorise etc will be mean to you. I had an appointment booked this evening for a chap who told me yesterday that “he was definitely 100% coming” despite me asking him to text if he wasn’t, no hard feelings. He didn’t show up. 

Dont bother buying cars and setting out on this journey if you’re looking for people to be nice to you. They aren’t. People are c*nts. 

*authorities 

It’s part of the game if you allow these shits to do it to you. It’s why I only appoint, video watched “deposit paid” genuine buyers. You know my thoughts...