Sign in to follow this  
SuperLease

Buying stock

Had a good run first 4mths of the year but I tell you what these last 8 weeks have been the worst I have known it for getting hold of decent stock. What is everyone esle doing please because I am pretty sure I am on every trade website/auction there is?  

I'm nabbing the odd one where I can and letting the rest overpay. It'll come back down, it always does. Don't get sucked in.

1 minute ago, Mojo121 said:

I'm nabbing the odd one where I can and letting the rest overpay

+ 1 but at Blackbushe with 1200 cars and more every day there is always 3-4 I could buy. Each of my provisionals lately has been given to me for my bid. I guess when some prices are ££££ over book vendors are not bothered about giving the odd one cheaper. 

What I will say is that in the last year I can not go to a BCA auction with a 10 car "shortlist" and hope to buy one of them. You need to be very open and very flexible about what you buy. 

37 minutes ago, SuperLease said:

Had a good run first 4mths of the year but I tell you what these last 8 weeks have been the worst I have known it for getting hold of decent stock. What is everyone esle doing please because I am pretty sure I am on every trade website/auction there is?  

I would be interested to know what you buy because in my opinion it has never been easier to find stock.If you don’t buy on line you have got to be prepared to travel...and I mean travel.

I'm finding it tough too at the moment, but we're being more selective than usual, as don't really need to buy anymore, however: The secret (for me anyway) is that we keep buying- even when we don't need to.  We are lucky though in that a) we can afford to and b have somewhere to put the overflow.

If you're working on a limited budget and only replace when a few have sold/have space restraints, I can empathise and remember the days. Stock is always about when you don't need it or can't afford it.

I love buying. One of my favourite bits of this job. Its not easy but it is out there. 

All these guides / i control / retail check etc are all great but nothing can beat that gut instinct you get of thinking if i buy this for X and sell for Y that car is going to look seriously good value and then getting it back in and sold quickly. 

Like Nick says you have to be a bit loose and flexible and just nab something outside your normal parameters that has a good chunk in it.  All about taking risks this job. Win more than you lose you are up.

18 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

just nab something outside your normal parameters that has a good chunk in it

A good example, a 2006 Jazz CVT that I bought two weeks ago from a Mercedes Retail sale at BCA, last owner since 2007, 90K miles, clean as you like but needing a complete rear bumper respray. Cap Clean £1600-1650, mine for £900, so around £1200 when fees and paint are included. Sold on SUN during the football match for £2750. This Jazz didn't fit my usual stock profile at all but the margin and ROI did. 

8 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

A good example, a 2006 Jazz CVT that I bought two weeks ago from a Mercedes Retail sale at BCA, last owner since 2007, 90K miles, clean as you like but needing a complete rear bumper respray. Cap Clean £1600-1650, mine for £900, so around £1200 when fees and paint are included. Sold on SUN during the football match for £2750. This Jazz didn't fit my usual stock profile at all but the margin and ROI did. 

You were brave buying a car with CVT box at that age!

16 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

You were brave buying a car with CVT box at that age!

Fortune favours the brave :-)

20 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Fortune favours the brave :-)

Lol for now......

'hands in the till' springs to mind! :)

Its been hard for a long time now, the days of complete steals are far and few between these days you either put your hand up or try and sell empty spaces which is hard work. 

It's a numbers game at the end of the day isn't it. You nick some, you miss out narrowly on others etc etc 

You think cars are expensive.How about this,looked into BCA Newcastle this morning.In the Bristol Street section 53 Cooper S 15k one owner loads of extras,sold online with local guy underbidder in the hall,how much did it do.........

1 minute ago, twerp said:

£5k 

Find me another

I would have thought £5k was crazy......anyone else care to value it.

With those miles and being a modern day classic, it is the sort of thing you'd see photographed against a white studio background for £8,995

9 minutes ago, twerp said:

With those miles and being a modern day classic, it is the sort of thing you'd see photographed against a white studio background for £8,995

It was £6800 hammer down so £7200 ish out the door so you may be right.

That is extreme. 

Was it grey / pan roof / sat nav / HK ?

I was after a runner at a local auction main dealer px 54 plate volvo v50 2.0D with 130k no history and shit paint to rear 1/4 and door, was hoping 4-500 would buy it...  Dealer reserve 1500,laughable... And that wasn't the only thing, couple of minis I was interested for retail both went for retail money I can only assume private buyers are attending more and more

11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I was after a runner at a local auction main dealer px 54 plate volvo v50 2.0D with 130k no history and shit paint to rear 1/4 and door, was hoping 4-500 would buy it...  Dealer reserve 1500,laughable... And that wasn't the only thing, couple of minis I was interested for retail both went for retail money I can only assume private buyers are attending more and more

And this is why auction houses are now bending over backwards to encourage both private buyers, and new trade accounts?

Edited by met
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, twerp said:

That is extreme. 

Was it grey / pan roof / sat nav / HK ?

I think it was grey,I did not inspect it,my attention was drawn to it by the others watching the screen on the wall outside the ring.

8 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

+ 1 but at Blackbushe with 1200 cars and more every day there is always 3-4 I could buy. Each of my provisionals lately has been given to me for my bid. I guess when some prices are ££££ over book vendors are not bothered about giving the odd one cheaper. 

What I will say is that in the last year I can not go to a BCA auction with a 10 car "shortlist" and hope to buy one of them. You need to be very open and very flexible about what you buy. 

Agreed, I went to Bristol yesterday with my list of 30 which was wittled down to 12 after inspection, I actally bought 4 with only 1 being on the initial list which was a 2011 530d SE Touring 160k for £5900 with the tip and delivery, I thought that was cheap..... Also bought a T5 T30 122k in white for £4500 inc VAT Delivery and tip... 

insp-0001-1642313-1286401-1000.jpgi360-ext-0000-07025783-007.jpg

I thought I'd smoke the 530 for a while...

6 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Love the numberplate on the BMW