Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Not getting any bites on a mini

They don't even charge me anymore for tricky wheels like Mazda with odd spoke patterns that are extremely corroded.

any more*

• Like 1

Guess it depends where you are. We're near Brighton so it's £45 a wheel, fiver a pint and I won't even begin to talk about my council tax bill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EPV said:

This has piqued my interest. I’ve always thought £100 a corner perhaps £300 a set but that’s diamond cut, never owned a set of standard alloys personally or at least never refurbished them. So £50 a corner is reasonable but you can “have a go” yourself? Anyone care to share a reliable technique for refurbing a standard alloy? 

Honestly its childs play, all you need is some very basic kit, like a small 3" air sander a die grinder and a small smart repair gun and your away, You can get all the kit you need for under a £100 unless your a brand snob like me in which case might be a bit more. 

Primer and lacquer and activator you can buy in 2.5ltr and will last forever, then just ask your local paint shop for a tenth of what ever color you need which we pay £6 for.

Then its the same for every wheel rub down small fill if required primer top coat and then clear. 

I would be the first to admit we are by no means pro but to date no one has ever said hang on they dont look like they have been done by a pro they pass every time and costs us less than £20 a set in materials and about 3 hours work.

will not be for everyone but for us works well 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Honestly its childs play, all you need is some very basic kit, like a small 3" air sander a die grinder and a small smart repair gun and your away, You can get all the kit you need for under a £100 unless your a brand snob like me in which case might be a bit more. 

Primer and lacquer and activator you can buy in 2.5ltr and will last forever, then just ask your local paint shop for a tenth of what ever color you need which we pay £6 for.

Then its the same for every wheel rub down small fill if required primer top coat and then clear. 

I would be the first to admit we are by no means pro but to date no one has ever said hang on they dont look like they have been done by a pro they pass every time and costs us less than £20 a set in materials and about 3 hours work.

will not be for everyone but for us works well 

Nice little write up!

7 hours ago, justina3 said:

Clearly the welsh tight ass coming into full swing here, £180 gulp couldnt bring myself to pay that 

Halfords black bodyshop primer and Simonize black gloss spray £20. Don’t take the wheels off, spray it on grass instead of marking your drive :) 

Dare I say some how to videos or before and after  shots are needed here? I'd be interested, always fancied a compressor and spray gun, go loads of other bits I could use a

compressor for !!

9 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Dare I say some how to videos or before and after  shots are needed here? I'd be interested, always fancied a compressor and spray gun, go loads of other bits I could use a

compressor for !!

Ok will do. I bought a golf plus tdi yesterday wheels not looking there best so will be collecting Tuesday and will show you how we do it. (Tempting fate now watch them all react) 

• Like 3

So retook the photos this weekend, and my phone has not stopped ringing today! (Had one shite viewing yesterday, people expecting showroom condition even after explaining all the points over the phone).

Deposit taken today with collection tomorrow!

Thankyou all for the great advise and tips! Greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Photos are a significant improvement. Fair play for taking the advice and putting the effort in. It amazes me the amount of cars I see advertised that are so badly photographed you think that the trader must hate money, or himself. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mikey360 said:

So retook the photos this weekend, and my phone has not stopped ringing today! (Had one shite viewing yesterday, people expecting showroom condition even after explaining all the points over the phone).

Deposit taken today with collection tomorrow!

Thankyou all for the great advise and tips! Greatly appreciated!

No wonder, you dropped the price from £3500 to £3000 !

Too cheap IMO. Perfect colour and low miles

6 minutes ago, twerp said:

No wonder, you dropped the price from £3500 to £3000 !

Too cheap IMO. Perfect colour and low miles

Believe me I wish I'd kept the price up but felt the need to shift it and move on. Lesson learnt for next time!

Fair enough

Re: your CR-V - you may want to use some trim oil to tone done those interior scuffs 

Edited by twerp

18 minutes ago, twerp said:

Fair enough

Re: your CR-V - you may want to use some trim oil to tone done those interior scuffs 

Great idea, does look worse in the photos than it actually is, thankyou!

Edited by Mikey360

25 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Believe me I wish I'd kept the price up but felt the need to shift it and move on. Lesson learnt for next time!

I’ve never understood why in this game do many complain when they’ve made a sale & then think they could of got more. You were sick of it so should be happy it’s gone. 

The internet is very competitive as it’s rammed full of cars so they need to be photographed correctly to gain interest however decent photos don’t sell overpriced cars.

Every couple of months I assess my stock & any sticky cars are blown away & I never feel regret - just pleasure at seeing the back of one & freeing up a space for something more profitable.

6 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Great idea, does look worse in the photos than it actually is, thankyou!

Is he referring to a few scuffs on the door cill trim? I was staring at the photos to try & work out what the problem is. If that’s what is being referred to I really wouldn’t worry, it’s a 162,000 mile CRV & the sort of man interested won’t give a fuck about a few trim scuffs - he’s buying on price (and a very attractive price it is too).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, twerp said:

Fair enough

You don't want much for 3K do you! :lol:

Jokes aside it looks tidy for that kind of leg. Do you guys do much with that kind of leg on it? I've only ever tried one bit above 120K and it wasn't worth the hassle but always wondered how people get on with them?

1 hour ago, Mikey360 said:

So you did panic Mikey.Never mind,you can tell your mates you have sold 50% of your stock over the weekend,you don’t need to tell them you have made nowt.......We have all been there..Good Luck !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

You don't want much for 3K do you! :lol:

Jokes aside it looks tidy for that kind of leg. Do you guys do much with that kind of leg on it? I've only ever tried one bit above 120K and it wasn't worth the hassle but always wondered how people get on with them?

I've always had high mileage cars for my own use. Only if they've got a decent service history backing them up and low owners. Running a 135k, tatty legacy estate that does eat a bit of oil, but there's no smoke and I can chuck  the kids, dog and Mrs in the boot and not worry about the mess! 

The CRV's been well looked after and it's as tight as a drum. Even had an engine carbon clean done to quiet down the engine (worked well for £80)

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I’ve never understood why in this game do many complain when they’ve made a sale & then think they could of got more. You were sick of it so should be happy it’s gone. 

The internet is very competitive as it’s rammed full of cars so they need to be photographed correctly to gain interest however decent photos don’t sell overpriced cars.

Every couple of months I assess my stock & any sticky cars are blown away & I never feel regret - just pleasure at seeing the back of one & freeing up a space for something more profitable.

Is he referring to a few scuffs on the door cill trim? I was staring at the photos to try & work out what the problem is. If that’s what is being referred to I really wouldn’t worry, it’s a 162,000 mile CRV & the sort of man interested won’t give a fuck about a few trim scuffs - he’s buying on price (and a very attractive price it is too).

That's a very good way of looking at it, I'm sure the smarter buyer out there would see the dead stock and put in a low baller. It is a nice feeling seeing that space free'd up!

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

So you did panic Mikey.Never mind,you can tell your mates you have sold 50% of your stock over the weekend,you don’t need to tell them you have made nowt.......We have all been there..Good Luck !

Yeah caved into the pressure of the game! Always happy to make the mistakes early on and learn from them, onwards and upwards!

10 hours ago, grant8064 said:

Do you guys do much with that kind of leg on it? I've only ever tried one bit above 120K and it wasn't worth the hassle but always wondered how people get on with them?

I sometimes do a few but they need to be ‘looked after’, NOT 10 owner dross or you’ll be asking for trouble. Basically it depends what it is. Forget small cars or Insignia/Mondeo rubbish - you can barely raffle them off to the greediest of scum with those miles. However, if it’s something like an S-Max/Galaxy (probably half price) or a 4x4 then they’ll look so cheap that they’ll sell fast(ish). Funnily enough, last Xmas I bought a 163K 07 new shape CRV on DA for about £1600. A morning’s travel, the car was on the internet that afternoon at £2999 & the phone almost set on fire. 

Basically big 7 seaters, vans or 4x4s in my experience. Forget anything else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I sometimes do a few but they need to be ‘looked after’, NOT 10 owner dross or you’ll be asking for trouble. Basically it depends what it is. Forget small cars or Insignia/Mondeo rubbish - you can barely raffle them off to the greediest of scum with those miles. However, if it’s something like an S-Max/Galaxy (probably half price) or a 4x4 then they’ll look so cheap that they’ll sell fast(ish). Funnily enough, last Xmas I bought a 163K 07 new shape CRV on DA for about £1600. A morning’s travel, the car was on the internet that afternoon at £2999 & the phone almost set on fire. 

Basically big 7 seaters, vans or 4x4s in my experience. Forget anything else.

I have had several pitches and what I have learnt is that everyone was different.You can not replicate what sells well for you by moving elsewhere.You have to try different stuff and find out.Like BHM,I think seven seaters are good news and attract good punters who often travel to buy them.But you need good road links,if you operate in the south east you may struggle.You have to find your niche,I know one guy who just does Insignias because they are cheap as chips.One of the most successfull traders I know sells ex Police dog vans in a big way,we tried it and it didn’t work for us......At the end of the day,it is not the stuff you like,it is what the punters want that counts......Successfull car dealers are not car enthusiasts !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trade vet said:

At the end of the day,it is not the stuff you like.....Successfull car dealers are not car enthusiasts !

Agree completely. In fact being an enthusiast often works against you

• Like 2

Funnily enough I’ve had all my enthusiasm for cars knocked out of me by this industry. Or more accurately, by my dealing with the general public :lol:

• Like 2

I loved cars, until I did this job. Now, my enthusiasm for them has left me to such an extent, I drive a diesel Insignia....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

I loved cars, until I did this job. Now, my enthusiasm for them has left me to such an extent, I drive a diesel Insignia....

Ha ha ha

i used to drive a comp pack m4 vert. Brand new, loaded, £75k list price. That went and I now have a supercharged RR. This isn’t a brag but just me making a point of agreeing that I now fancy myself driving a Focus Estate. 

I reckon in a few years i’ll be keeping my eye out for a Kia Soul. So I actually have one. 

26 minutes ago, EPV said:

Ha ha ha

i used to drive a comp pack m4 vert. Brand new, loaded, £75k list price. That went and I now have a supercharged RR. This isn’t a brag but just me making a point of agreeing that I now fancy myself driving a Focus Estate. 

I reckon in a few years i’ll be keeping my eye out for a Kia Soul. So I actually have one. 

I've had two supercharged RR sports, both of which have cost me shed loads of money. I have sworn to never own another LR or RR. 

I still love my cars though...

Another point to make is that personally although I love 'classics' I'd never want to sell them!