Sign in to follow this  
Dan Read

Sales techniques

Sales tips and closing techniques? that's for the franchise big boys and the shady supermarkets with their suits and their Pendle trained, admin fee, lava hot coffee, I'll ask the manager, throw in free car mats tricks who don't care what car they put someone in as long as they hit their target.

Balloons, big wavey men, bunting and boots open? - maybe 20 years ago but the car is 90% sold before the buyer turns up in my experience these days. they usually come for a specific car they've seen online and as everyone above has already said if you handle it right, test drive and don't pressure people, people buy the car - that's not the hard part, that's 10% of the job.

not sure what you're paying £65-£70 per car on stationary, think that's my stationary budget for the year. are you literally gift wrapping each car?

if you're the owner operator of a small dealership theres no such thing as regular hours, its 24/7 but I employ 2 people in my sales team and they're fantastic. they work alternate weekends between them, start at 10 and are still here most night at 6-7, depends on how busy we are. we have live chat and that's always on and responded to within minutes.

we ditched shirts and ties about 5 years ago and have some nice branded uniforms, cargo pants, polo shirts and fleeces, buy in bulk with a range of colours and the guys love them.

its all common sense tbh. people aren't stupid in my experience and can spot when you're coming on with any sales techniques - we had someone in at the weekend, they looked at Q5 S line, lovely car, £25k, they went away to look at another at local Audi main dealer but came back and bought ours, they said they didn't like the pushy sales person who didn't really car about them - nothing wrong with the car. that's where we win, as small independents we can give so much more than some of the big boys by NOT being your stereotypical dealer

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Less for AT?  I don't get it?  Our response or nett spend per sales from AT over the last 6 month cycle we were with them was near the £500 mark.

Well typically AT costs less than £100p/car per month

And you previously stated that you have a fast turnover.

Just now, twerp said:

Well typically AT costs less than £100p/car per month

And you previously stated that you have a fast turnover.

You're listening to AT @ £100 p/m.

I've stated what we did with AT.  What our package was with AT at 120 vehicles, then at 75, then at 50.  We went on all 3 tiers all over a 6 month period last year and on average our nett cost per sale through AT was around the £500 mark.  I've never stated otherwise, never berated them about it, not moaned about their prices just simply said it didn't work for us.

I've not stated turnover?  That's dependent on the bracket of vehicle, the target audience, etc  Anyone can say they can move stock within a 21 day cycle but what's the point in scrapping for £4-500?

26 minutes ago, RH Trading said:

Sales tips and closing techniques? that's for the franchise big boys and the shady supermarkets with their suits and their Pendle trained, admin fee, lava hot coffee, I'll ask the manager, throw in free car mats tricks who don't care what car they put someone in as long as they hit their target.

Balloons, big wavey men, bunting and boots open? - maybe 20 years ago but the car is 90% sold before the buyer turns up in my experience these days. they usually come for a specific car they've seen online and as everyone above has already said if you handle it right, test drive and don't pressure people, people buy the car - that's not the hard part, that's 10% of the job.

not sure what you're paying £65-£70 per car on stationary, think that's my stationary budget for the year. are you literally gift wrapping each car?

if you're the owner operator of a small dealership theres no such thing as regular hours, its 24/7 but I employ 2 people in my sales team and they're fantastic. they work alternate weekends between them, start at 10 and are still here most night at 6-7, depends on how busy we are. we have live chat and that's always on and responded to within minutes.

we ditched shirts and ties about 5 years ago and have some nice branded uniforms, cargo pants, polo shirts and fleeces, buy in bulk with a range of colours and the guys love them.

its all common sense tbh. people aren't stupid in my experience and can spot when you're coming on with any sales techniques - we had someone in at the weekend, they looked at Q5 S line, lovely car, £25k, they went away to look at another at local Audi main dealer but came back and bought ours, they said they didn't like the pushy sales person who didn't really car about them - nothing wrong with the car. that's where we win, as small independents we can give so much more than some of the big boys by NOT being your stereotypical dealer

Amen! 

20 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Spot on. This is what I was getting at.

Get a job as someone else’s salesman/woman (order taker) instead.

I bet you’re just looking? No charge today. Let me know if I can help..

customer..........there's a cheaper one down the road £300 less

me.......why don't you buy it then?

customer........they've already sold it

me........well when i haven't got one i give mine away free

• Like 1

1 minute ago, s and b said:

customer..........there's a cheaper one down the road £300 less

me.......why don't you buy it then?

customer........they've already sold it

me........well when i haven't got one i give mine away free

Too right

"There's a cheaper one up North"

Well go and see or buy that one; hope it's as clean as this one otherwise you'll have had a wasted trip and mine will still be the same price but atleast then you will understand the meaning of value over price.

PUNTER: There’s a cheaper one at xxxxxx.

Answer1. Go & see it then.

Answer2. Let me see the advert (at this point they usually can’t find the advert on their phone & in the one case who did the car was 18 months older, a write off AND 300 miles away!! I laughed in his face & then used Answer1.

Dan appears to have gone to ground......our advice may not be what he was expecting.....he probably thinks we are like the crimplene guys at the main dealers !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Dan appears to have gone to ground......our advice may not be what he was expecting.....he probably thinks we are like the crimplene guys at the main dealers !

thank god we are'nt, theres genuine muck under my nails, some rust particle in my left eye that simply refuses to wash out, and just had fish and chips :lol:

On 4/9/2018 at 11:45 PM, MrC said:

I think there is nothing worse than a used car salesman/woman. I'll be more specify, the smarmy ones who are your best mate in 30 seconds, fake Rolex, Polyester suit, pointed plastic shoes You get the picture

Shoot me now

Do they still exist?

12 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Do they still exist?

Yes, go to any main dealer showroom & they’re either sat behind desks or walking about with an iPad. Why the f*** any salesperson needs an electronic tablet to sell a car is beyond me - do they really know that little off the top of their heads about the product?