Sign in to follow this  
MrC

Damage..

I had a customer collect his VW Caddy this morning after I had done some work on it. Everything wss fine and dandy, i have not long had a message that he has got home (Inverness) 350 miles and says there is a dent on the rear n/s quarter and paint damage, as if some thing has fallen against it.

100% nothing happened when it was in my custody. And if anything would have happened I world have addressed it. Or knocked money off the price.

Never been in this situation.. Any advice would be greatly received.

CCTV ? we used to get this all the time when we fitted car alarms in the end we had to complete booking in forms and handing back forms showing no damage ect 

He's probably stopped in a motorway services for a pee and someone drove into it!

That’s karma for saying in another thread that camper punters are no bother :D  Believe me, get used to it - you’re dealing with VW men.

Anyhow as far as I’d be concerned it’s his problem, he’s accepted the vehicle so it’s clearly been damaged whilst he’s had it. Stand your ground, sack him off.

3 hours ago, MrC said:

I had a customer collect his VW Caddy this morning after I had done some work on it. Everything wss fine and dandy, i have not long had a message that he has got home (Inverness) 350 miles and says there is a dent on the rear n/s quarter and paint damage, as if some thing has fallen against it.

100% nothing happened when it was in my custody. And if anything would have happened I world have addressed it. Or knocked money off the price.

message ? not much of a man when he reports damage by " message " 

chancer i reckon................put him to task, full pictures of damage,estimate for repair, details of  HIS insurance, then fek him off................:angry:

3 hours ago, BHM said:

That’s karma for saying in another thread that camper punters are no bother :D  Believe me, get used to it - you’re dealing with VW men.

Anyhow as far as I’d be concerned it’s his problem, he’s accepted the vehicle so it’s clearly been damaged whilst he’s had it. Stand your ground, sack him off.

99.9% have been great, They are VW men BUT not VW Golf men.

Hearing you all loud and clear. So far I have had no response, I have feeling I will hear of him again. Really no idea what his game is, I am man enough to admit if I had damaged something and I would put right the issue. 

Watch this space 

I’ve bet you’ve bent over backwards from start to finish to accommodate him, and he’s paying you back by thinking he can take advantage of you.

I hate punters like this. 

In no uncertain terms, tell him it’s his responsibility to check the car thoroughly and to show due diligence at the point of collection. You can also prove this. 

If his vehicle has been damaged since then it is solely down to him. (I wonder if he insured it).....

29 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’ve bet you’ve bent over backwards from start to finish to accommodate him, and he’s paying you back by thinking he can take advantage of you.

I hate punters like this. 

In no uncertain terms, tell him it’s his responsibility to check the car thoroughly and to show due diligence at the point of collection. You can also prove this. 

If his vehicle has been damaged since then it is solely down to him. (I wonder if he insured it).....

He brought his van down from Inverness. As it was such a big drive I offered him a bed for the night if he wanted rather than do a 700 mile round trip. (Just so we are clear the offer was not in our bed.. Mrs C has rules)

So yes I did and will go above and beyond. 

As above really but the curiosity would be there to see this damage from a ''falling'' object. My bet is the argument starts falling apart when you see the photos...

Sorry, I disagree with asking for pictures. Once you start asking for pictures & get drawn into discussion you are getting involved. That’s not what you want, it’s a straight forward “it’s your responsibility, you are on your own” and a swift end to it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BHM said:

Sorry, I disagree with asking for pictures. Once you start asking for pictures & get drawn into discussion you are getting involved. That’s not what you want, it’s a straight forward “it’s your responsibility, you are on your own” and a swift end to it.

I have not asked for pictures for that very reason. 

22 minutes ago, MrC said:

I have not asked for pictures for that very reason. 

I agree with BHM regarding the pics, but out of curiosity, I'd like to see the dent.

But, sadly, you're part of the VW community and reputation is everything. Stories like this can get out of hand on forums?

1 hour ago, met said:

I agree with BHM regarding the pics, but out of curiosity, I'd like to see the dent.

But, sadly, you're part of the VW community and reputation is everything. Stories like this can get out of hand on forums?

Its killing me to. If it gets shitty I will ask for pics, I agree forums can be dangerous places full of keyboard warriors. I'm not sweating to much and would happily go to war on an open forum to defend myself. 

55 minutes ago, MrC said:

Its killing me to. If it gets shitty I will ask for pics, I agree forums can be dangerous places full of keyboard warriors. I'm not sweating to much and would happily go to war on an open forum to defend myself. 

I'm not trying to worry you, but it doesn't take much for car forums 'experts' to unite in their hatred for 'dealers' 'trade' generally.

You don't want a reputation within the very same community for being a soft touch/walkover either.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, met said:

I'm not trying to worry you, but it doesn't take much for car forums 'experts' to unite in their hatred for 'dealers' 'trade' generally.

There is no such thing as bad publicity

19 hours ago, MrC said:

A friend of mine sold a £25,000 range rover to an absolute scumbag. 3 weeks after he purchased the vehicle he reported a large dent on the roof. Long and short of it is....... he went to court, where the scumbag was armed with a quote of £1500 and aerial views of his rather big house surrounded by a large fence and gate. 

My friend said as he turned up to court he saw the car in question and there was a huge dent in the roof that was completely unmissable. having shown the judge that the customer had signed a PDI form which did not show a dent in the roof. The scumbag claimed as he has rather short he could not inspect the roof at time of purchase. The judge ruled on the balance of probability that the dent was present at the time of purchase and ruled against my friend. The guy hadn't even got the work done. To this day he still cant bring himself to talk about the situation without tearing up!!!!

28 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

A friend of mine sold a £25,000 range rover to an absolute scumbag. 3 weeks after he purchased the vehicle he reported a large dent on the roof. Long and short of it is....... he went to court, where the scumbag was armed with a quote of £1500 and aerial views of his rather big house surrounded by a large fence and gate. 

My friend said as he turned up to court he saw the car in question and there was a huge dent in the roof that was completely unmissable. having shown the judge that the customer had signed a PDI form which did not show a dent in the roof. The scumbag claimed as he has rather short he could not inspect the roof at time of purchase. The judge ruled on the balance of probability that the dent was present at the time of purchase and ruled against my friend. The guy hadn't even got the work done. To this day he still cant bring himself to talk about the situation without tearing up!!!!

I don’t think there can be many cases where used car dealers have successfully defended themselves in the small claims court.I have had worse than that.

14 hours ago, MrC said:

99.9% have been great, They are VW men BUT not VW Golf men.

Hearing you all loud and clear. So far I have had no response, I have feeling I will hear of him again. Really no idea what his game is, I am man enough to admit if I had damaged something and I would put right the issue. 

Watch this space 

I would ask for a clear photograph of the damage.I would also ask for a description of the exact route taken when he left your premises so you can check with CCTV nearbye......We had a case where a punter had collected a Puegeot and he brought it back the same day with slight damage.We said it was impossible that we had been responsible so we offered to show him CCTV at the time it was collected.......What did it show,our valeter causing the damage with another car  2 mins before he drove off !

as said do a walkround at time of collection,this is written on my bill of sale and is a step to cover you,theres no way 700 miles later they can argue the dent was already there then

use the opportunity to show them how to fill up with fuel the condition of a spare wheel and jack and any locking keys then show them under the bonnet then sit them in the car and go through all the instruments and then in your case show them how the bog flushes

if you think it will affect future business pay for the repair and learn from the experiance

the nicest ones are always the ones with the hidden knife

Edited by s and b

Well not heard a dickie bird since so hopefully thats the end of that. 

• Like 1