Sign in to follow this  
trade vet

Rough Auctions

Has anyone been to any auctions  where the location and the clientele were so rough,you were uncomfortable .

Wilsons Newcastle, like the number one court of the old bailey, they allow cash payment

I wouldnt say rough but i used to travel to Leominster car auctions they where a friendly bunch in between the chickens running everywhere, the scariest part was travelling back across the brecon beacons where the sas train seen a few military types the local pubs one place not to start a fight for sure.

20 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

Wilsons Newcastle, like the number one court of the old bailey, they allow cash payment

Surely it is posh there now compared with when it was Coopers.

Blackpool auctions used to be a right gene pool

24 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I wouldnt say rough but i used to travel to Leominster car auctions they where a friendly bunch in between the chickens running everywhere, the scariest part was travelling back across the brecon beacons where the sas train seen a few military types the local pubs one place not to start a fight for sure.

I have been there several times,it was OK,I had forgotten about them until I went to Brightwells last October.

they used to have all the gravels part ex's which where very clean to be fair not sure whats going on with them these days it was a 3 hour drive shame they didnt get with the times and offer bidding on line 

Not sure now, but some of these rough places were great to buy at some point when main dealers used to offload because a lot of the regulars don't acually buy, its more of a social club for them and there is little competition for stuff over £2k.

Won a car online at Manheim Wimbledon, got train down to collect, in the payments office 2 brap brap bad bwoys turned up whilst waiting for the reception lady, they looked at my trade plates and said "oh look proppa trader bruv!!" you got proppa insurance then innit? me "yes" then they seen the receptionsist lady who was quite pretty and started humping the desk, could not wait to get out, then in car park seen him and his mate wheel spinning a battered old van

26 minutes ago, tradex said:

I did go to some rough ones, many moons ago, trade vet may know them?

Maidstone when it was in the market.

Another near Deptford in London, or that may have been Charlton?

.....BCA Padders and Peters where the recent prices were so rough, they floored me:P

We did deal with Charlton or whatever it was called,but I never went there.When we had the London pitch,my partner, as a sideline ,used to buy cheapies out of Colchester which had to be taxed and sold them at Charlton probably because buyers did not bother with insurance.So it probably was rough. I have never heard of Maidstone auction.

The worst one I have attended is Birmingham Car Auctions,I did not mind the flowing white robes,but it was the long swords .Does anyone recall Edinburgh Motor Auctions,we would all decamp there after BCA Edinburgh.The auction was OK but it was in the centre of the worst social housing estate I have ever seen,300 acres of huge grey concrete tower blocks.

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

The worst one I have attended is Birmingham Car Auctions

They used to get some excellent reposessions from ING. Could never understand why they ended up there.

38 minutes ago, twerp said:

They used to get some excellent reposessions from ING. Could never understand why they ended up there.

They still do.

• Like 1

Central car auctions Glasgow full of wannabe car dealer tax dodging shady  people who you would be mad to buy a car off.  A lot of legit dealers and fair people there aswell but majority would cut ur throat for a coupe of hundred quid profit.

6 hours ago, Ek cars said:

Central car auctions Glasgow full of wannabe car dealer tax dodging shady  people who you would be mad to buy a car off.  A lot of legit dealers and fair people there aswell but majority would cut ur throat for a coupe of hundred quid profit.

Some real characters in that place. Canteen always reminded me of prison :lol:

• Like 1

Another vote for Leominster here - not so much the people, but the stock.

Same as Westbury, rough stock and almost everything sold provisional when we were there.

Exeter is another place for the dodgy dealers - Don't know people buy from there, everyone knows is where local dealers send their crap.

I use to frequent Newark motor auctions, some shady people there!! A lot of travellers.

Back in the early days when I was starting out, I had a towing dolly nicked off the back of my car there!

Cars were starting to get vandalised before they went through the hall, so they introduced 'timed' viewings. Auction started at 6pm, but you could only view between 1pm - 3pm I think. Once the auction kicked off, you couldn't go anywhere near the cars, hear them start, check to make sure the EML came on and went off, we stopped going after that........

Parts were getting nicked left right and centre off cars you'd bought that were in THEIR 'secure' compound....

They used to have a separate 'no reserve' auction outside for all the old bangers / scrappers, used to se some right sights......

If it rained heavily it would be flooded, so you had to swim to the cars to check them over before they went through the hall.

Spent many a freezing, wet night there, don't miss it one bit! Funnily enough, we did get some gems out of there and the indemnity fees were reasonable, no internet bidders, so use to get stuff at reasonable prices.

BCA was a real eye opener when we first started going, but it was nice to have dry feet and view cars under cover if you got to Peterborough / Bedford. :D

17 hours ago, trade vet said:

Surely it is posh there now compared with when it was Coopers.

No rough as anything

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Some real characters in that place. Canteen always reminded me of prison :lol:

I recall Central when it was in the meat market in Glasgow,5 different sales going on at once,all the entries were sold where they stood and weren’t started up,you had to rely on the description.None of the proper guys bought from Central in those days,most of the stuff was clocked or misdescribed and Central were not the worst.We used to buy from Beiths and Mr Beith the auctioneer was a propper,propper gent,I don’t think he accepted bids from ‘the dodgys ‘.

bradford car auctions sundays ,the fresh new mot was always available out of the boot of the first car parked on the road

the tractor bought most cars as the auctioneer preferred to use this rather than the shiny wall

i never got beat up or mugged but did manage to sell all my lemons in there including one particular car that would only steer left:lol:

must be 30 years ago mind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

I recall Central when it was in the meat market in Glasgow,5 different sales going on at once,all the entries were sold where they stood and weren’t started up,you had to rely on the description.None of the proper guys bought from Central in those days,most of the stuff was clocked or misdescribed and Central were not the worst.We used to buy from Beiths and Mr Beith the auctioneer was a propper,propper gent,I don’t think he accepted bids from ‘the dodgys ‘.

Do u remember Bert Logan?? Give it a rev driver ?  Oh she sounds a good one ladies and gents.

23 minutes ago, Ek cars said:

Do u remember Bert Logan?? Give it a rev driver ?  Oh she sounds a good one ladies and gents.

Hi EK

No ,in the days I went ,all the entries were sold where they stood and were never started up until you paid for them! All the auctioneers would walk around with clip boards and stand by the car being sold.Would Bert be their in 1980.

8 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi EK

No ,in the days I went ,all the entries were sold where they stood and were never started up until you paid for them! All the auctioneers would walk around with clip boards and stand by the car being sold.Would Bert be their in 1980.

Late 80s