Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo

Eggy yellow around filler cap

How do you guys view this when looking for stock. 

Car runs fine, pop open the filler cap and its full of mayo eggy slush around the cap. 

Walk away from what looks like head gasket problem or deem it to just be condensation?

I would walk away, but I don’t like buying unknown problems. However, if the price is right and you have the time to fix it then follow your gut and take a punt....

Next time check the water bottle if the water is either oily or has those shiny stop leak particles, also clean off the cap and run the engine up to temp again see if it comes back

If it’s a Vauxhall nine times out of ten it’ll just be condensation. 

As said check expansion tank aswell, if there’s no oil in there it’s highly unlikely to be head gasket. Rare you’ll get one mixing without the other.

• Like 2

And pull the dipstick to see if its in the sump as well. 

Best thing for head gaskets is "steel seal" genuinely does work. 

Also depends on what car it is, like already mentioned Vauxhalls are well known for it, doesnt mean its terminal, however more unusual to see on say a Ford Fiesta, you can normally look for other clues such as has someone changed the thermostat which means someone has been looking for a fault or it did have a fault and maybe thats fixed it ,rad, pipes water bottle, dip stick check for any gunk down there. 

This is where experience comes a life saver but you only learn through mistakes, sure we all been there many many times

I’ve walked away every time i’ve seen a car like it. Was told recently if you check dipstick and its just oily then head gasket is fine but if dipstick has mayo gunk then its bad news. 

Shame as i walked away from a nice mini cooper clubman last month as it had this eggy filler cap and i dont want the hassle of risking anything!!

wow if you guys wont buy short journey cars so engine never gets fully warm mayonnaise filler caps no wonder customers wont

my gain then:lol:

I go off the colour of the oil on the dipstick instead.

If it has any signs of water in the oil on the stick... walk away.

The amount of Timing chain Vauxhalls we get with mis diagnosed head gaskets is unreal.

I remember picking up a 330Ci M Sport with mayo on the oil filler cap.

Couldn't believe it - one owner immaculate car.

Turns out they all do it if stood for a while / short journeys.

Yes, as above. Don't just check the oil filler cap, but checket dipstick and coolant too.

As far as Vauxhalls are concerned its often an advantage to see some milky residue from condensation as it keeps the 'amateurs' off the scent!:D

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

How do you guys view this when looking for stock. 

Car runs fine, pop open the filler cap and its full of mayo eggy slush around the cap. 

Walk away from what looks like head gasket problem or deem it to just be condensation?

Can't believe some people walk away from cars with mayo caps. I've bought plenty and sold plenty of these short journey cars. Just sold a low mileage v50 like this under cap and had customer phoning back saying gasket has gone. I told him to do 50 mile run. It's now as clean as a whistle under cap.

• Like 1

Just didnt want to risk something that “might” be a short journey car really

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just didnt want to risk something that “might” be a short journey car really

A cheap oil can cause this as well. Strange but some people will spend 4K on a car  ,a small fortune on cleaning products to clean it on a Sunday morning ,then top up the oil with the cheapest of oil from a supermarket. 

• Like 1

aerosol brake cleaner, its only £2 each if you buy 5, squirt the cap out, then a clean cloth in rocker cover, then "expert" mr mechanic thats kicking the tyres tells you the last two he looked at head gaskets were gone :rolleyes:

a steel rocker cover is far more suspect to mayo than a alloy, alloy gets warmer and burns off the damp