Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo

Quietest November since.....?

Dead as a dead thing in a dead street this november. Even the cheapy 2-3k small engined first time cars arent getting much traction. 

Is this one of the worst novembers??

what months do you find the worst of the year? Nov & Dec as standard or any wierd patterns?

Luckily we have had a great November so far, sold mostly the cheaper stock and have been reducing margins to get more sales - its working

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Dead as a dead thing in a dead street this november. Even the cheapy 2-3k small engined first time cars arent getting much traction. 

Is this one of the worst novembers??

what months do you find the worst of the year? Nov & Dec as standard or any wierd patterns?

This is by far the worst November I've ever had!!! 

I usually find December and May my worst months. I find June can be a funny month as well.....

3 hours ago, Allstars said:

Luckily we have had a great November so far, sold mostly the cheaper stock and have been reducing margins to get more sales - its working

Is that sustainable though?

Reduce to look the cheapest... get some sales... people follow suit... devalue ourselves again... reduce again to get some more sales.

It hasn't been a quiet November for buying,mind this has been helped by some rediculously low book prices.So you can pay £500 over for something and you have nicked it !

It has been relatively quiet, I think the first month this year where we've not grown from the month of the previous year and we're down by around 30-35%.

I'm not putting much thought into it at the moment as the new budget was announced, Brexit is still lurking on peoples minds and of course Christmas being only round the corner.  It was kind of a given in many aspects that this November was going to be an extended December period.  In foresight it may well lurk into the first few weeks of the New Year, with the economy getting back to spending regularly again toward the end of January and a rise in February.

A poor month but I’ve sold a few and my problem is buying. At my end of the market the prices at the block, on DA & SYTNER are eye watering at the moment and from what I’ve seen recently the trade is buying absolutely any shite.

When I’m at the block & see the trade fighting over 8-10 yr old scruffy, misfiring Vauxhall’s with rattling DMFs I know to keep my money in my pocket & let others fill-up on overpriced problem children.

Pretty much business as usual for us. Selling plenty (all the shit for some reason with the nice stuff remaining on the forecourt) but struggling to buy...as always.

On 23/11/2017 at 10:06 AM, Mojo121 said:

Is that sustainable though?

Reduce to look the cheapest... get some sales... people follow suit... devalue ourselves again... reduce again to get some more sales.

Sadly the race to the bottom is well and truly underway and nothing will stop it.

Busy enough but buying (or lack of) is really starting to get on my tits. 

How has everyone found this month? We are painfully quiet will be one of our worst ever months trading! Don't seem to be getting a look at anything over £10k.

Been really busy all of a sudden this month after an average October and a terrible September. 

I thought we'd never sell a diesel or a heavy car again- then all of a sudden (straight after the budget) three in one weekend, and more in the week, plus has been good sub 10 grand. However 'one swallow doesn't make a summer' and all that.

It's a funny old game....just gotta hold your nerve.   

• Like 1

Never been so bloody busy. Sold my last camper on 25th October, bought another donor van on 28th Oct, took a deposit on that within a week, started in on the 3rd Nov, would have been earlier but I had a customer van in for a part conversion.  It should be finished tomorrow but I have been paid up for it today and its going next weekend. 

I have another part conversion book in for second week in Dec, all being well I will have my hands on another donor van in the next few days.. 

Is bloody hard work and frustrating at times, but I dont miss BCA and dealing with dickheads.

I have managed to get out of trouble by selling 2 whacky cars. An old classic beetle and a  land rover defender that I pimped. If it wasn't for those 2 both with a  lovely profit i shudder to think........ now onto the quiet months!

1 hour ago, SC Derby said:

Worst month for me since I started 7 years ago. 

Just feels so quiet! 

Don't beat yourself up too much, there are a lot of people worried about what the future holds; the quiet before the storm

Dead as a dead thing on a dead street. 

December is not likely to improve either is it? Feb time maybe...?

20 minutes ago, met said:

Don't beat yourself up too much, there are a lot of people worried about what the future holds; the quiet before the storm

It’s very easy to lose a lot of money though, not willing to see 7 years of hard work go up in smoke (if things don’t pick up)

Come on you lot. Surely you all expect it to be quiet this time of year and surely you would've put some money away in the busy months to tide yourselves over?! 

16 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

It’s very easy to lose a lot of money though, not willing to see 7 years of hard work go up in smoke (if things don’t pick up)

Correct me if wrong but last time I looked at your stock (must be over a year ago) everything was sub £5.5k have you outgrown your market in budget terms?

• Like 1

I've had some great Novembers and Decembers. Nothing I try now seems to improve response, and I don't want to go to more expensive stock either. We operated £2k-£8k I suppose. Never felt the need to go any higher.

After 6 years of solid trading never having had experience a losing quarter I guess I just thought that was that.

It can feel quite glum especially when you're used to selling loads. I treat December as a dead month, if I'm busy great if not, no problem. Use the time to rest, grab a few bargains and wait for the January rush. It will happen. Chin up. 

There seems to be a massive difference in how everyone's doing out there.

We're on for our best ever year and November has been on par with our busiest (and most profitable more importantly) months. Literally can't get quality stock quickly enough despite not being a particularly cheap forecourt for our stock range.

On the flip side a similar set up 3 miles away packed up in autumn and our nearest competitor a mile up the road has just called us up offering us his stock because he's packing it in at Christmas. Gotta feel for those of you not doing so well because we're all very aware how quickly it can change.

Chin up lads and best of luck.