Sign in to follow this  
D&M

I'm not going to buy your car because........

Funnily enough the main offenders are usually from a big city, normally London (or occasionally Birmingham) and are hundreds of miles from me, have not read the advert, haven’t a clue where I am and want it delivered f.o.c., cambelted, discounted and cash on delivery.

Unfortunately many seemed to be on a different time zone to me & thought they were bartering in a midnight souk - that’s why it’s sensible hours only for me for the sake of my sanity. :lol:

• Like 2

I'm not going to buy your car because

i would rather sit in my chair and ask a thousand questions, and if just one answer doesnt tick my box i am staying in my chair, even though i will lie to you and ask your opening times, and guarantee to ring before i set off 

kin messers :(

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Because my hobby is “looking” at different cars on a Sunday afternoon....,

Arfur, if only it was on a bloody Sunday! 

58 minutes ago, tradex said:

"I have low self esteem and want someone to make me feel wanted....on a Sunday....at 7pm"

Tradex, errrrr....if only it was on a Bloody Sunday! 

I,m considering buying a retail car (for myself)for the following reasons....or at least I  was

1. It's cheaper than auctions at the moment.

2. The prep is somebody else's problem

3. I,ll be looking for a good warranty.

4. I can get cheap finance, no point tying up my own capital.

So, seeing things from a customers perspective and listening to the bullshit some of those trying to sell me a car are throwing around...especially the know it all's on who's shoulders I can still clearly see schoolbag marks...

Its actually been quite entertaining, if a bit of a waste of time. Every car is a great price, fantastic condition and "you'll have to be quick Sir, I,ve had a lot of interest"

Actually, just about every car on most dealers forecourts is a disgrace. Most of what I have seen I would be ashamed to sell myself. A full service history apparently means it has been serviced at some point in its life. Excellent condition... a credit to its owner means it needs about 1k prep. "It's a used car sir it will have a few marks"...

I,m actually considering a main dealer assured vehicle...

Edited by XFS

Prep standards at most places have slipped due to punters wanting everything at rock bottom - something has to give & you get what you pay for. Mind you, from what I hear some traders will sell any death trap and the days of the dodgy MOT are alive and well. 

At my end of the market they’re safe & reliable but I’m selling most cars “warts & all” - bumper scuffs, scratches, dings & dents. Usual a valet is a vacuum but I go through plenty of satin black hiding grubby carpets etc. - at £3 a tin it’s cheaper than a £40-50 valet & the punters on a £1200 Astra are only interested in the bottom line.

Only just found this Forum and glad I have, glad to know the game is alive and kicking and has not changed in the 40 years when I originally started in it ,have had a break for 5 years running another business but wanting to dive back in again don`t no why proberly miss it is the reason, obviously sounds like silly season at present been there before , retail trade prices no punters and struggling to sell a wheel, oh loved the stories guys possibly heard them all and dont get me started Testicle advisors so go on convince to dive back in, but please not the advice " How to get a million pound out of the motor trade, Start with two million"  

2 hours ago, Beechwood said:

Only just found this Forum and glad I have, glad to know the game is alive and kicking and has not changed in the 40 years when I originally started in it ,have had a break for 5 years running another business but wanting to dive back in again don`t no why proberly miss it is the reason, obviously sounds like silly season at present been there before , retail trade prices no punters and struggling to sell a wheel, oh loved the stories guys possibly heard them all and dont get me started Testicle advisors so go on convince to dive back in, but please not the advice " How to get a million pound out of the motor trade, Start with two million"  

Welcome back and I look forward to your future  contributions to the stuff on here.

MESSAGE JUST IN FROM EBAY after numerous messages over last 24 hours

Thanks for msg, I may still be interested i will speak with my wife tonight.
Regards
Phill

Hahaha, one of ebay’s finest! If I think their emails are worth responding too then I’ll answer two emails. If I receive a third they’re told to phone me. Pillocks emailing back & forth do not buy, they are only passing their spare time.

Guy calls me this morning while at auction. Do I still have a silver Astra estate with a rubbish Fiat engine? (Yes, I bloody well do, had it a million years) I mean, absolutely sir! Can I come over this afternoon? (he's keen!) Yes. Great. 2pm? 2pm it is.

Chap turns up just gone 2. Firm enough hand shake but has all the demeanour of someone terribly picked on at school. Alarm bells went when his wife remained in the car. Air raid sirens rang when I heard him start and stop the car 6 times. Nuclear holocaust when he held the revs at red line for at least 5 seconds. "Is everything okay?". "Very good, may I test drive?" .... oooo, Mojo, you're onto a winner here. Side note: first test driver ever to take his Sat Nav... "just incase" :lol:

He comes back, talks with his wife who remains in the car annnnnddd

"Hmm, well, it's got a few things wrong so I think I'll leave it" "Such as? I don't mean to doubt you but I drove the car before you arrived because you had quite a journey so I didn't want to waste your time and I didn't notice any issues aside the air con needing a regas" "That's one thing, the clutch seems high (it isn't) the 3rd gear synchro is noisey (utter bollocks) and there's some noise of the front suspension and (...)(that's a pause) well, the thing is I'm buying it for my daughter in law and I've been looking for several months, if it was for me I'd have bought it........ blah blah blah"

DO ONE YOU TIME WASTING BOLLOCKLESS DIRECTIONLESS EXCUSE MAKING CAR REVVING STOP START PILLOCK!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, s and b said:

MESSAGE JUST IN FROM EBAY after numerous messages over last 24 hours

Thanks for msg, I may still be interested i will speak with my wife tonight.
Regards
Phill

We've got an auto-reply to eBay messages, apologising that we are not at the computer and asking them to give us a call.

Do they ever call? - No

Are their messages ever anything more than 'What's your best price, I don't want a warranty if it helps' - Nope!

1 hour ago, D&M said:

We've got an auto-reply to eBay messages, apologising that we are not at the computer and asking them to give us a call.

Do they ever call? - No

Are their messages ever anything more than 'What's your best price, I don't want a warranty if it helps' - Nope!

I once had a message through ebay on an Audi TT I was selling.

He said that he really liked the car, but needed to convince his wife. He asked if he could 'borrow' it for the weekend, as that was the only way he could convince her!!....

Cheeky bugger!

Of course I replied and offered to throw a bottle of champagne in with it.... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Guy calls me this morning while at auction. Do I still have a silver Astra estate with a rubbish Fiat engine? (Yes, I bloody well do, had it a million years) I mean, absolutely sir! Can I come over this afternoon? (he's keen!) Yes. Great. 2pm? 2pm it is.

Chap turns up just gone 2. Firm enough hand shake but has all the demeanour of someone terribly picked on at school. Alarm bells went when his wife remained in the car. Air raid sirens rang when I heard him start and stop the car 6 times. Nuclear holocaust when he held the revs at red line for at least 5 seconds. "Is everything okay?". "Very good, may I test drive?" .... oooo, Mojo, you're onto a winner here. Side note: first test driver ever to take his Sat Nav... "just incase" :lol:

He comes back, talks with his wife who remains in the car annnnnddd

"Hmm, well, it's got a few things wrong so I think I'll leave it" "Such as? I don't mean to doubt you but I drove the car before you arrived because you had quite a journey so I didn't want to waste your time and I didn't notice any issues aside the air con needing a regas" "That's one thing, the clutch seems high (it isn't) the 3rd gear synchro is noisey (utter bollocks) and there's some noise of the front suspension and (...)(that's a pause) well, the thing is I'm buying it for my daughter in law and I've been looking for several months, if it was for me I'd have bought it........ blah blah blah"

DO ONE YOU TIME WASTING BOLLOCKLESS DIRECTIONLESS EXCUSE MAKING CAR REVVING STOP START PILLOCK!

Hahaha, that’s a cracker!

45 minutes ago, Notadealer said:

Not Sure if im Allowed to post on here as im not a dealer, a consumer

I am currently looking for a car, for the past 2 weeks and have come across this forum and thought i would give some of the reasons why i didn't pull the trigger on buying a car.

Now when looking at a car i always give them a call at least 2 hours before so they can get the car ready and to make sure it is still available 

1. Wouldn't start first time  and needed starter cables, as the car was beeing sold without a warranty, walked away

2. Being refused a test drive without making a deposit on the car, 

3. No or low fuel in the car so not able to start or take the car for a test drive.

4. on the test drive engine warning light / service light coming on and beeing told thats nothing and just needs reseting

5. noticing that a service was due with 2000 miles  or within a few months away asking them to service the car before and them refusing to.

6.Not a good test drive, either uncomfortable when drving or engine /genral noises.

7. Not beeing able to look at the paper work, (Office was Locked they were waiting for the keys but didn't have time to wait)

8. Taking a call from Another Customer asking about the car whilst on the test drive. Surely if your with a customer that has a genuine interest you would say can't talk ill call you in 5-10 Minutes. 

9. Either a Gut feeling about the dealer / Car or both,

I understand when buying a used car that their will be a few minor issues, cosmetic issues, but when looking for a car i want a car that is comfortable to drive, and reliable, if i don't feel that i will get either of these i will walk away.

Unfortunately  over the last 5-10 years the used car industry, has taken a big hit, due to bad dealers, car supermarkets and not forget yes car credit and has become difficult to regonize the good from the bad.

You must have looked at 30 cars in 2 weeks ! Has it not crossed your mind that people may not want to sell you a car.In our business you get some people who come on certain days at around the same time.We don't bother with them or try and discourage them as all they want to do is try out your stock and waste your time.Your last statement makes me think you could be one of those guys.

Or...

You sound eminently sensible and are looking at it in the same way that I probably would. To be fair,  your reasons:

1-8 Can't argue.

9 Probably influenced by 1-8.

Fwiw, we would be more than happy to allow you to become a customer of ours! What are you looking for?

1 hour ago, Notadealer said:

Not Sure if im Allowed to post on here as im not a dealer, a consumer

I am currently looking for a car, for the past 2 weeks and have come across this forum and thought i would give some of the reasons why i didn't pull the trigger on buying a car.

Now when looking at a car i always give them a call at least 2 hours before so they can get the car ready and to make sure it is still available 

1. Wouldn't start first time  and needed starter cables, as the car was beeing sold without a warranty, walked away - Cars do sit at a dealer for a while, sometimes batteries do get low, if you are going to look at a car without warranty, I would assume that you'd be aware the car may need attention.

2. Being refused a test drive without making a deposit on the car, - Deposit may have been to cover insurance excess in case you prang it? Also, if you are genuinely interested - what's the problem. If you found an issue with the car I'm sure the dealer would have refunded deposit. Why should we get out cars up to forecourt standard for someone to take it for a spin and dirty it?

3. No or low fuel in the car so not able to start or take the car for a test drive. Personally we keep just under 1/4 tank for a decent test drive.

4. on the test drive engine warning light / service light coming on and beeing told thats nothing and just needs reseting - Sometimes modern cars can pop engine light on for something as simple as a low battery voltage and first port of call is to take note of and reset the code, then test drive the car to see if it returns. Service due light doesn't mean much as many owners to self-service or local mechanic who just don't reset it.

5. noticing that a service was due with 2000 miles  or within a few months away asking them to service the car before and them refusing to. As above, service due light doesn't mean a huge amount on it's own. Also, if the car has 2000 miles before it's due a service, why should the dealer service it at no cost to pay for your running costs of a used car?

6.Not a good test drive, either uncomfortable when drving or engine /genral noises. - Can't be helped if you aren't comfortable in the car or if the car makes noises that you are not used too - some cars have noisy tyres or more apparent engine noise than others. Your experience should give you a good idea of what cars are comfortable. If you are unsure whether something is normal then the AA or RAC offer vehicle inspections (at your cost)

7. Not beeing able to look at the paper work, (Office was Locked they were waiting for the keys but didn't have time to wait) - Paperwork is always kept safe, did you make an appointment? Did you arrive early/late? If we have a viewing, we always have the paperwork to hand

8. Taking a call from Another Customer asking about the car whilst on the test drive. Surely if your with a customer that has a genuine interest you would say can't talk ill call you in 5-10 Minutes.  Not acceptable, you're completely right.

9. Either a Gut feeling about the dealer / Car or both, - Can't be helped - with the feeling about the dealer, he has probably sussed whether you are a buyer or not. Works both ways!

I understand when buying a used car that their will be a few minor issues, cosmetic issues, but when looking for a car i want a car that is comfortable to drive, and reliable, if i don't feel that i will get either of these i will walk away. - But it seems from your points that you are looking at low value cars/very cheap cars and cars advertised without warranty?

Unfortunately  over the last 5-10 years the used car industry, has taken a big hit, due to bad dealers, car supermarkets and not forget yes car credit and has become difficult to regonize the good from the bad. - Yes, as all industries have! We're not all the same, I feel as though you are tarring all dealers with the same brush and it doesn't seem like the dealers you are meeting can feel that too!

It is nice to hear from a consumer.

From your points, it does seem like you only have a limited budget and are expecting miracles from it.

Unfortunately, the cars we sell are pre-owned. They may be new to you, but they do have a past and bear the scars from that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

Or...

You sound eminently sensible and are looking at it in the same way that I probably would. To be fair,  your reasons:

1-8 Can't argue.

9 Probably influenced by 1-8.

Fwiw, we would be more than happy to allow you to become a customer of ours! What are you looking for?

Something one owner with full dealer history low miles pristine condition must have nav, low or free tax. I want a 3 year warranty and cam belt changing, and I am prepared for the right car to offer you £1000

3 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

Something one owner with full dealer history low miles pristine condition must have nav, low or free tax. I want a 3 year warranty and cam belt changing, and I am prepared for the right car to offer you £1000

somebody asked me for a tank of petrol and some mats the other month

that mike brewer has some questions to answer sometimes:lol:

16 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

Sounds about right, I’d wager he’s a right fussy bell-end.

To clean and smart, I have not had a car site for 30 years but that was a reason not to buy and of course, why is it so cheap. Am I glad I am still very much in the trade but no longer a car dealer, well not at the moment but once it is under your skin who knows.