grant8064

March 2017 Sales

1 hour ago, Cornish Guy said:

It seems to be quiet countrywide!

Which in my book is re-assuring!

If we're all quiet you can put it down to just being 'one of those weeks'. Perfect excuse to pick up some nice new stock, get everything prepped and be ready for when it all kicks off!

Bleurghhhhh!

Had a million test drives and viewings today to no avail.

Why is it when a punter tells you what they need and you point to THE PERFECT CAR for their needs, something that actually ticks all their boxes and is under budget, they still don't get excited or even in it?!

I've had a day of that. 

Done eight in eleven days so it's fine money wise but so irritating to not sell any bigger ticket prices when the cars themselves are really nice sorted bits.

Vent over.

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

Bleurghhhhh!

Had a million test drives and viewings today to no avail.

Why is it when a punter tells you what they need and you point to THE PERFECT CAR for their needs, something that actually ticks all their boxes and is under budget, they still don't get excited or even in it?!

I've had a day of that. 

Done eight in eleven days so it's fine money wise but so irritating to not sell any bigger ticket prices when the cars themselves are really nice sorted bits.

Vent over.

After a cracking start to the month, I've had a frustrating couple of days!

Yesterday I had the local nut job sniffing around a 3 series BMW, after sticking his finger nails between the tyre treads, he got on his hands and knees looking at the underside, commenting on how it looked like it had never been out in the rain, (it's a mint low mileage example). He then proceeded to say he thought it was a bit expensive, but admitted he "wanted something for nothing", I suggested he was in the wrong place, and he should take his bright white trainers and bright white hair, back in his minty green S Type Jag and look elsewhere.....

Then had someone drive 3 hours to look at a 2005 Ford Mondeo Ghia X estate, this has to be the best mk3 Mondeo in the country, 22k miles, full ford history, genuine rubber mats on top of the carpet mats, and a genuine boot liner fitted, you could literally eat your dinner off the boot carpet. Anyway, after a quick look, cup of coffee, exchange of pleasantries, he says, "I don't think this is for me". Slightly perplexed I probe him, to which he says that it's not up to his "very fussy" standards!! :rolleyes:

I resist the urge to point him in the direction of the nearest Ford main dealer, shake his hand, and wish him a safe 3 hour return journey, still in shock.....

Then today, had a chap come and look at a minty low mileage Honda Civic Automatic, he was so keen he wanted to put a deposit on it during the week to secure it. His sister had the same model and he was confident this was the perfect car. I declined, but said I would provisionally hold it for a couple of days.

He turns up today, explains that he's looking at it for a "good friend". He tells me his friends main criteria is that the rear seats fold completely flat, which of course they don't. Not deterred by this, we go on a slightly unusual test drive, where we go round in circles on full lock several times, he plays with all the buttons and switches (which all work), we pull back up on the pitch, he admits he can't fault the car, we discuss the price, he then drops the bombshell that he thinks it won't be suitable for his friend as she has a large dog crate, so it won't fit in the car with back seats not completely flat, then promptly leaves. :blink: wtf?!

Then on top of that, I've had the usual eBay nut jobs messaging me......

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

how does everyone find ebay?

It does work, you get the odd messers but you just have to put up with it. 

a few years ago i was entirely ebay and did ok, i do a hell of a lot better from autotrader but obviously with the associated costs

in all fairness all my auto trader ads say prices are fixed blah blah, makes very little difference

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

After a cracking start to the month, I've had a frustrating couple of days!

Yesterday I had the local nut job sniffing around a 3 series BMW, after sticking his finger nails between the tyre treads, he got on his hands and knees looking at the underside, commenting on how it looked like it had never been out in the rain, (it's a mint low mileage example). He then proceeded to say he thought it was a bit expensive, but admitted he "wanted something for nothing", I suggested he was in the wrong place, and he should take his bright white trainers and bright white hair, back in his minty green S Type Jag and look elsewhere.....

Then had someone drive 3 hours to look at a 2005 Ford Mondeo Ghia X estate, this has to be the best mk3 Mondeo in the country, 22k miles, full ford history, genuine rubber mats on top of the carpet mats, and a genuine boot liner fitted, you could literally eat your dinner off the boot carpet. Anyway, after a quick look, cup of coffee, exchange of pleasantries, he says, "I don't think this is for me". Slightly perplexed I probe him, to which he says that it's not up to his "very fussy" standards!! :rolleyes:

I resist the urge to point him in the direction of the nearest Ford main dealer, shake his hand, and wish him a safe 3 hour return journey, still in shock.....

Then today, had a chap come and look at a minty low mileage Honda Civic Automatic, he was so keen he wanted to put a deposit on it during the week to secure it. His sister had the same model and he was confident this was the perfect car. I declined, but said I would provisionally hold it for a couple of days.

He turns up today, explains that he's looking at it for a "good friend". He tells me his friends main criteria is that the rear seats fold completely flat, which of course they don't. Not deterred by this, we go on a slightly unusual test drive, where we go round in circles on full lock several times, he plays with all the buttons and switches (which all work), we pull back up on the pitch, he admits he can't fault the car, we discuss the price, he then drops the bombshell that he thinks it won't be suitable for his friend as she has a large dog crate, so it won't fit in the car with back seats not completely flat, then promptly leaves. :blink: wtf?!

Then on top of that, I've had the usual eBay nut jobs messaging me......

I feel your pain my man.

Had two weeks of it now and frankly i'm extra pleased i'm off on my hols next week.

As for ebay...I use it for spares/repairs because the 'traders' around us have to club together to find fifty quid. Usually takes three listings to get a sale through.

I did sell a quite nice A class with a turbo issue of some kind today (for the second time) and had a really sensible guy win it. Sent a good message asking for the faults pre sale, I replied honestly and he bought it. Nice message back bemoaning ebay timewasters so we both know we're sensible!

Like I say, takes me three listings on average to get a genuine buyer but does shift part ex's with issues

I find eBay works, all my stock is on there as classified ads, I find it better for the cheap or rare stuff. 

For the small cost I think it's a no brainer and reinforces my internet presence, alongside AT.

Although I've currently got a cheap part ex auto Toyota Corolla, 48 watchers and still no sale.....

I do find the number of idiots / messages increases after 10pm, probably after one too many beers or glasses of wine....

eBay works for us. Definitely reach more customers that way and it is pretty cheap.

Yesterday was quite a good day with some good chunky cars selling. 

VXracing, 2010 A3, 2013 A3, 2012 A5 and a 2010 Focus RS.

i use auctions to get rid of the rubbish but with ever increasing time wasters (ie foreigners) its not worth the hassle

really poor weekend, did 4 through the week so the wife can get her jewellery from the pawn brokers, kids are still in the poor house though

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

i use auctions to get rid of the rubbish but with ever increasing time wasters (ie foreigners) its not worth the hassle

really poor weekend, did 4 through the week so the wife can get her jewellery from the pawn brokers, kids are still in the poor house though

:lol::lol::lol:

Two this weekend

Not amazing but certainly better.

Decent part exchanges on both though which I should be able to get turned over quickly. 

5 for the week which is good for me, Some nice new stock sold with decent margin and 2 nice finance deals too. Need to buy more next week to keep up.

Had 4 people all enquire on the same car too, 2011 Countryman Cooper SD, beautiful car, great colour and spec but still not sold it. So next week i'm sure it'll be gone, got some decent enquiries bubbling too. 

Been really quite all week which extended in to the weekend. I hate quiet spells. First half of December was like this, second half went bonkers. 

20 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

mini's always seem to sell by how well they photograph

Its all about the money shot!!

Just been cornered in the office by a GRADE A fruit cake, thought I was never going to get rid of him!! :blink:

I should have stuck all my stock in to BCA Preston today. Id have made a fortune! 

1 hour ago, MrC said:

I should have stuck all my stock in to BCA Preston today. Id have made a fortune! 

I Paid wayyyyy into book for a mini there, crazy prices!!!

2 hours ago, Mat C said:

I Paid wayyyyy into book for a mini there, crazy prices!!!

Its been silly season at every sale there lately. Grade 4 05 Mini One did £1950 today!! WTF 

15 hours ago, MrC said:

Bristol was the same!

1 hour ago, Cornish Guy said:

Bristol was the same!

And Peterborough..... :rolleyes: