LSP Vehicles

Card Readers

Hi all, 

Just wondered what card readers people use away from the big banks? I did have a Sum up one until I used and then was informed they aren't authorised to take payments for vehicles!

Thankfully the processed the transaction on this occasion, otherwise they were saying they would be refunding it to buyer!!

Would like to avoid the big banks as none of them were particularly helpful when I was setting up and needed a business account.

Thanks

Be careful with whoever you choose,don’t let them lock you in to some 12 months notice contract and make sure you have direct access to a rep when problems arise.Read the small print word for word.....protect the downside or you can be stitched up.

I have been with World pay formerly streamline 20+ year. Just got all rates reduced, they will talk and negotiate fees.

I honestly can't remember the last card transaction I've done, it's all bank transfers now, still paying the rent on the machine though.....:huh:

Saved a fortune in payment fees though.

I know a few main agents that refuse cards nowadays. 

Edited by Frank Cannon

Barclay card we use . Very low rates on debit cards , Find customers love card payment, debit only for car sales though  , Just don't take credit cards for car sales because of the cost , 

Does depend on the amount you put through as what the rates will be though . 

We have 0.17 % on debit which is silly low , Credit is a little higher but we don't use credit cards except for service work and repairs , 

Trouble with Credit Cards is the potential for chargeback if some twat's sidelight bulb blows and they decide the car is no good :(

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Trouble with Credit Cards is the potential for chargeback if some twat's sidelight bulb blows and they decide the car is no good :(

Exactly!! I’ve had someone go to the credit card company because in their opinion the 10 year old Fabia he’d purchased rev’d too high in 5th gear!! The letters I got sent from the credit card company where unbelievable. Customers don’t even need to pay for it all on a credit card either I believe. 

Stopped taking cards 2 years ago , I reckon it's cost me a couple of viewings , but big saving on fees and potential for fraud/chargebacks . Everyone seems fine with bank transfer nowadays

35 minutes ago, Anglo9 said:

Everyone seems fine with bank transfer nowadays

.....and anyone who isn’t can jog on. I wouldn’t want a CC man on a car. I reckon anyone wanting to pay for a motor on a CC is already living beyond their means & probably can’t afford to run their car.

42 minutes ago, Bmx Bandits said:

I’ve had someone go to the credit card company because in their opinion the 10 year old Fabia he’d purchased rev’d too high in 5th gear!!

:lol: The good ole general public, you couldn’t make it up. 

I see that Barclaycard’s current TV advertising campaign with Nick Frost specifically mentions Clause 75 & a sentence along the lines of getting money back if you’re unhappy with a purchase (or some such patter which will result in premature ejaculation for the sort of person who shouldn’t be allowed to buy by CC).

4 hours ago, BHM said:

.....and anyone who isn’t can jog on. I wouldn’t want a CC man on a car. I reckon anyone wanting to pay for a motor on a CC is already living beyond their means & probably can’t afford to run their car.

:lol: The good ole general public, you couldn’t make it up. 

I see that Barclaycard’s current TV advertising campaign with Nick Frost specifically mentions Clause 75 & a sentence along the lines of getting money back if you’re unhappy with a purchase (or some such patter which will result in premature ejaculation for the sort of person who shouldn’t be allowed to buy by CC).

Bank transfer is so much easier and cheaper. We did have two customers asking if we accept PayPal which I didn’t expect!! 

The only issue I had was when someone wanted to use a 0% credit card, in the end we got them to finance the car and then settle it with their credit card after a couple of days.

Bizarrely I met Nick Frost last year in the queue of a local coffee shop, he seemed like a nice bloke and we had a good chat - when my wife came up and told me who I had been talking and I didn’t believe her at first, it’s only when people started asking for sly pics and someone asked for an autograph that I believed her :lol:. Turns out he lives locally.

If I’d know he was doing the ad I’d have given him a slap  :D

Customers/Consumers whatever you like to call them can do chargebacks on visa debit aswell as credit cards. Only reason why I've kept the card machine is just in case I'm out and our staff can take payment and not worry about calling me to ask if the money has come in.

Every transaction we do is BACS. Dont have any issues at all.