New year revolutions......

Car dealers banned as directors

I've come across more than a few of these characters in my time, unfortunately. They are a cancer within the industry.

Do you all think its as bad as in once was or do we just not here so much about it now 

It’s important to note that all they were prosecuted for was offering unroadworthy cars for sale.

So make sure that when you advertise or put a price in a car it is legal. Don’t let the Mot run out.

According to Trading Standards unprepared stock should be in a separate area.

I know it’s unlikely nowadays to get a random visit but you never know.

Edited by David Ayers

15 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

It’s important to note that all they were prosecuted for was offering unroadworthy cars for sale.

So make sure that when you advertise or put a price in a car it is legal. Don’t let the Mot run out.

According to Trading Standards unprepared stock should be in a separate area.

I know it’s unlikely nowadays to get a random visit but you never know.

I remember reading about that David .its opens up the debate of should you mot cars before putting them on sale a garage i do some work for sometimes has an mot station and mot cars when they come in and if the customer requests they will re mot on the pdi if its been in stock for a a few months . 

Edited by Casper

32 minutes ago, Casper said:

Do you all think its as bad as in once was or do we just not here so much about it now 

Every town / city has a few garages operating poorly. Some more than others and some who just full on take the piss like these pair.

10 minutes ago, Casper said:

I remember reading about that David .its opens up the debate of should you mot cars before putting them on sale a garage i do some work for sometimes has an mot station and mot cars when they come in and if the customer requests they will re mot on the pdi if its been in stock for a a few months . 

I guess it depends on whether you want a customer to drive away on the day.

I get a Pdi done when they come in. Apart form emissions, I believe, everything is checked that is on an Mot.

I then get the Mot done when the car is sold.

I prefer doing it this way because brakes can seize, springs can break even while sitting still on a forecourt.

14 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Every town / city has a few garages operating poorly. Some more than others and some who just full on take the piss like these pair.

Yes I think does it still goes on and always will just got me thinking years ago it was always on tv every other week garages from hell etc we don't see so much of now maybe just not so many of these types of programs now

14 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

10 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I guess it depends on whether you want a customer to drive away on the day.

I get a Pdi done when they come in. Apart form emissions, I believe, everything is checked that is on an Mot.

I then get the Mot done when the car is sold.

I prefer doing it this way because brakes can seize, springs can break even while sitting still on a forecourt.

Ive always done the same as you in most jobs or for people I've worked for on a self employed basic as well as my own stuff as long as it came with a valid mot 

i guess everything one does it  different i cant understand some of the bigger garages who don't ever put a fresh mot on things with 6 months mot etc

Edited by Casper

I know the place well, unfortunately they are still trading, just under a different name and probably registered to a different family member.

I MOT anything as soon as it arrives with an expired ticket or I MOT after a sale has been agreed if it has an unexpired MOT.

In any circumstance, every car whether it has 364 days MOT or 1 day gets a fresh MOT prior to being released to the customer.

I am not selfless, it is for my protection too.

I MOT'd an MX-5, straight through. Drive it 1/2 mile back to the unit and locked away for 2 months. Customer wanted new MOT to do the deal. Took it back around and failed on a broken coil spring. Kept indoors and done 1/2 mile since last MOT.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lakeside said:

I know the place well, unfortunately they are still trading, just under a different name and probably registered to a different family member.

That will be right.For a start these 2 father and son have different surnames anyway.They might have it off to a fine art.Having checked,they appear to have a property company which they have recently conveniently resigned from worth 400 grand.I don’t think their accountants will somehow be KPMG !

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

That will be right.For a start these 2 father and son have different surnames anyway.They might have it off to a fine art.Having checked,they appear to have a property company which they have recently conveniently resigned from worth 400 grand.I don’t think their accountants will somehow be KPMG !

If it’s not them it’ll just be their brothers/uncles/cousins. Isn’t that the way they do business?

1 hour ago, BHM said:

If it’s not them it’ll just be their brothers/uncles/cousins. Isn’t that the way they do business?

Would that be cash sir?

Reading about money laundering yesterday,interesting reading,might have been on this site too

Ding ding I've rung the bell at the top James too 

20200408_182949.m4a