withholding rent  

27 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. are you considering withholding the rent on commercial property ?

• yes
    • no
    • i am going to talk to landlord
    • i may talk to landlord later in the following months

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 07:54 PM

If you can afford to pay i think its far you pay, if you genuinely can not afford it i would say talk to the landlord and try and come to an agreement.

I reckon there will be quite a few people out there trying to twist this to there advantage, i have a few rentals and if someone demonstrates to me they can not afford to pay i am more then happy to come to an agreement but if i were to find out that they could not show they are experiencing hardship because of this i would take a completely different view on it.

I think people are getting the impression they can get out of paying things when really they are only delaying things, what the government have done is slightly delay the eviction process, but the landlord will get you there eventually if he wishes.

I would keep everything as amicable as possible. 

Anyone who’s saying they can’t pay this month’s rent is either a piss taker or their business was already knackered anyway.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 2

We are fine for this month an maybe longer but if it does carry on 6 months we’re pumped 

Agree with barclaywoodmotorco been renting off the same lady since 2006 she has always sorted any problems i've had leaking roofs etc. Hopefully I will receive the 10k government grant which will keep things going for the next 3 months, my accountant seems to think if it goes passed that there will another 10k top up from the government.

I will continue to pay everyone, on time for as long as I can. If I start defaulting without agreement, I will shut the shop because from experience, if you can't meet 1 months ex's you will not catch up to pay double the following month - it's a scary spiral that (through my own fault, unlike this time) is very dangerous.

I think you are within your rights to inform your landlord that you will be deferring rent and you will repay it over a given period when things get back to normal.Burger King were reported as doing that.Landlords cannot expect the arrears to be paid in a lump sum.

Our company rents out to a successful long established business and we have informed them not to pay rent from April until this is over and things are back to normal.

6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I think you are within your rights to inform your landlord that you will be deferring rent and you will repay it over a given period when things get back to normal.Burger King were reported as doing that.Landlords cannot expect the arrears to be paid in a lump sum.

Our company rents out to a successful long established business and we have informed them not to pay rent from April until this is over and things are back to normal.

In my lease terms it specifically says 5% daily charge if rent not paid on time and this is compound5%

Speak to your landlord before ever refusing to pay rent whatever the circumstances

Been there got the hat

15 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

In my lease terms it specifically says 5% daily charge if rent not paid on time and this is compound5%

Speak to your landlord before ever refusing to pay rent whatever the circumstances

Been there got the hat

I think those terms are unenforceable and the gov.has said leases cannot be forfeited.

lets make it clear = gov.uk=

Commercial tenants who cannot pay their rent because of COVID-19 will be protected from eviction.

These measures will mean no business will automatically forfeit their lease and be forced out of their premises if they miss a payment up until 30 June.

There is the option for the government to extend this period if needed.

This is not a rental holiday. All commercial tenants will still be liable for the rent. Commercial tenants are protected from eviction if they are unable to pay rent.

Eligibility

All commercial tenants in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are eligible.

How to access the scheme

The change will come into force when the Coronavirus Bill receives Royal Assent. No action is required.

I have had 3 weeks of the main of my forecourt being fenced off and unusable due to the fuel station next door being refurbished.. I came back from holiday to find it this way (no notice) so for this reason alone I will be asking for a reduced rate for the month. Going on from there I will offer to pay half, as I can not trade. 

my landlord owns all his properties outright and my rent goes in his family pension fund so I imagine he’ll be ok with it. He’s a reasonable guy and I’ve never been a day late before! 

I will soon see...

My landlord just text me giving his sincere thanks for my payment as usual. Not everyone has done the same apparently. 

I’m surprised so many can’t pay already. 

He said that if we remain closed next month, we’ll have to have a deal or payment holiday. Bless. 

Edited by NOACROSS

58 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

My landlord just text me giving his sincere thanks for my payment as usual. Not everyone has done the same apparently. 

I’m surprised so many can’t pay already. 

He said that if we remain closed next month, we’ll have to have a deal or payment holiday. Bless. 

It's good to see there still some decent people still out there like your landlord it's very worrying as you say what's it going to be like in 3 months when people are struggling to pay in the first month sad really it will cripple a lot of business 

Don't get me wrong of course health and stopping the virus is more important and happy to sit in the house if that's going to happen and I should be ok mainly due do downsizing last year to care for my elderly dad but hope and pray others come back too .

Landlords always get shat on. 

You will still pay your insurance. 

You will still pay mortgages.

And the ugly things like council tax and road tax. 

People are so dumb they think that a mortgage holiday means no mortgage repayments for 3 or whatever months. 

But that amount will be added onto the end of your mortgage.

I tell you what though, come to the end of mortgages some people may forget they took a mortgage holiday. Or others that dont take it, some companies might say 15 years ago you took a holiday at the covid19 issue to fleece money. 

8 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Landlords always get shat on. 

You will still pay your insurance. 

You will still pay mortgages.

And the ugly things like council tax and road tax. 

People are so dumb they think that a mortgage holiday means no mortgage repayments for 3 or whatever months. 

"Landlords always get shat on" like us car dealers then ? they buy a car [ a property] they may buy it out right, they may get a stocking loan [ buy to let mortgage] no one sits in the car, no one sits in the property, if we are talking private landlords can i bring your attention to this legislation brought up on 17th march =

• Landlords will also be protected as 3 month mortgage payment holiday is extended to Buy to Let mortgages

have you voted ?

i think there will be some more news next week from the chancellor, we were told he was appearing friday, but this was put back to get the more important information over for this sunny ? weekend, STAY HOME

I suspect Randy won’t be a regular contributor.