NOACROSS

Do they know?!

Had a hot lead on an Eclass I hate that we've have had for ages.  Nice car, priced OK, should have sold.

Appointment arranged yesterday for today at 12:30.  Customer sounds like the one for it.  Local too.

Nice and clean already, but treated to a quick going over yesterday.  Started, left running a while, moved, turned off, tried again late afternoon- all OK.

This morning I start it up, leave it running whilst I get it out from its spot, take it on a three mile round trip and get some fuel at the same time.  Starts fine at the petrol station, drives lovely on the way back.  Reversed back on the site.  Shammy'd off, done the tyres- lovely jubbly.  

Turn it off, get on with the next job.

Punter and his wife turn up just about on time- brill.  Look round it, in and out a bit for five minutes max.  Can we go for a drive?  Of course you can..... fill out test drive log....

Put trade plates on, take stickers out....

Who knows where this is going?! 

Yup...'click'. 'Click'.... aghhh!

Sorry Mister Customer, let me get the booster box on it.  Walk to office to get booster.  Alarm goes off.....(really loud) and car is near the office.

Put the booster on, notice it's flat too...

Customer's wife says(shouting) 'Oh that's not very good. Must have a problem'  

Won't let me grab the other booster- fair enough, it is pissing down, it doesn't start and the alarm is going off!

Off they go.

Is it pub time yet?

Yes, it is time to go to the pub. After you've put your booster on charge anyway

4 minutes ago, MattR said:

Yes, it is time to go to the pub. After you've put your booster on charge anyway

:o)

Sorry about you woes Noa - bloody typical.

At least you are getting someone try and buy - my morning appointment didn't show but my screamer did. Now got someone else coming on a £2,500 R Class shitter with an oil leak, failed sat nav and warm aircon (all aware and listed). Plus got to collect Disco to take for a gearbox overhaul and try to get the valeter to finish a few bits. Oh and the unit next door wants me to buy their car (agreed an SOR) which I also need to do today and finally the Q7 final PDI for tomorrow's collection.

Busy but not earning £££'s

40 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

:o)

It always happens on the ones you need to get away like those you have smoked trouble free for months or previously refunded twice over....Why ?

18 minutes ago, trade vet said:

It always happens on the ones you need to get away like those you have smoked trouble free for months or previously refunded twice over....Why ?

So true.  Always a bloody german car too I find.  So annoyed  with it, that I've not even marked it back up or put the charger on it. If there was a tree nearby I'd go grab a branch and 'give it a damn good thrashing... you sit there for months doing nothing, and when you actually need it'. :0)

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Sorry about you woes Noa - bloody typical.

At least you are getting someone try and buy - my morning appointment didn't show but my screamer did. Now got someone else coming on a £2,500 R Class shitter with an oil leak, failed sat nav and warm aircon (all aware and listed). Plus got to collect Disco to take for a gearbox overhaul and try to get the valeter to finish a few bits. Oh and the unit next door wants me to buy their car (agreed an SOR) which I also need to do today and finally the Q7 final PDI for tomorrow's collection.

Busy but not earning £££'s

Pub time for you too Mark.

Not been too bad a month here (crap last month) but everything's so difficult.  Finance declines, prep, customers.  Oh well...This time next year!

Sod's law...and on a German car too. Bet that riled you right up. I'd have taken the branch to the customer's wife haha.

Hope you went to the pub and let off some steam.

And @Mark101 you always to well, so you'll be back to the good kind of busy soon enough.

6 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Sod's law...and on a German car too. Bet that riled you right up. I'd have taken the branch to the customer's wife haha.

Hope you went to the pub and let off some steam.

And @Mark101 you always to well, so you'll be back to the good kind of busy soon enough.

I’m too long in the tooth to let it bother me. Was perversely quite funny. 
Just got back and I’m even less worried now.

I thought about smoking the junk for a while, but it’s too new for me (13 plate) and it’s not as reliable as my ‘95 Crv daily. . :o)

Lost count the amount of times this has happened to me. Especially annoying when you’ve got the car all ready and it was fine earlier!

tomorrows another day.... 

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

I’m too long in the tooth to let it bother me. Was perversely quite funny. 
Just got back and I’m even less worried now.

I thought about smoking the junk for a while, but it’s too new for me (13 plate) and it’s not as reliable as my ‘95 Crv daily. . :o)

A 13 plate Merc isn't reliable? Haha you really don't like them do you? :)

Funnily enough, we've never had an engine fail on a Mercedes. Now BMWs...those engines must be made of cheese.

Just now, tradegirl said:

Funnily enough, we've never had an engine fail on a Mercedes. Now BMWs...those engines must be made of cheese.

The proof is in the pudding. 
Said Merc has done 40k. It’s quite a nice lump to be fair. My CRV started this morning. Just saying. 

5 minutes ago, SouthernTrader said:

Lost count the amount of times this has happened to me. Especially annoying when you’ve got the car all ready and it was fine earlier!

tomorrows another day.... 

Indeed. V true. 

2 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

The proof is in the pudding. 
Said Merc has done 40k. It’s quite a nice lump to be fair. My CRV started this morning. Just saying. 

I'd forgotten the minor detail about the Mercedes randomly not starting haha.

That's a very fair point, and this round goes to the CRV.

my mechanic always leaves the booster off charge so every time i walked past and noticed it wasnt charging i would turn the wifi off oddly enough he somehow now remembers.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, justina3 said:

my mechanic always leaves the booster off charge so every time i walked past and noticed it wasnt charging i would turn the wifi off oddly enough he somehow now remembers.

Ha. Brill. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tradegirl said:

The newer Mercedes engines are made from the same chocolate as the BMW engines are.

Ive had bother with a few, the garage over the road has done several. I had a friend of a friend phone us this week asking if we could supply and fit a engine to a 14 plate merc.

7 minutes ago, Stalker said:

The newer Mercedes engines are made from the same chocolate as the BMW engines are.

Ive had bother with a few, the garage over the road has done several. I had a friend of a friend phone us this week asking if we could supply and fit a engine to a 14 plate merc.

Ok that's good to know going forward. We've never had many new Mercedes, so haven't been bitten yet.

Just got a 2011 320d, runs perfectly but makes a sound like the belt does when it's rubbing a bit. Our survey says: CHAIN! Ding ding...except you don't win any prizes for that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

Just out of 3 year warranty

Need extended manufacturers warranty

Perhaps a push for recall

On 9/27/2019 at 1:32 PM, NOACROSS said:

Punter and his wife turn up just about on time- brill.  Look round it, in and out a bit for five minutes max. 

Makes me wonder if they tried every electrical switch and function in the car , ignition on , lights on , radio , aircon , fans , interior lights , Without the engine running , Result Flat battery . Electric seats flatten batteries like nothing else , so do heated seats , 

Seen it happen often  and now I only leave the keys with them while I'm next to them . So i can switch it off . 

Edited by David Horgan

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Makes me wonder if they tried every electrical switch and function in the car , ignition on , lights on , radio , aircon , fans , interior lights , Without the engine running , Result Flat battery . Electric seats flatten batteries like nothing else , so do heated seats , 

Seen it happen often  and now I only leave the keys with them while I'm next to them . So i can switch it off . 

Would that have killed the battery in 5 minutes though? Likeliest cause though. 

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

seats flatten batteries like nothing else , so do heated seats , 

Heated seats don't work unless engine is running on Merc, electric seat adjustment does - so you might be on to something there.

5 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Just out of 3 year warranty

Need extended manufacturers warranty

Perhaps a push for recall

14 Plate is two years out of warranty. 

I wouldn’t like to be swinging by mi balls for two years :D

3 minutes ago, Stalker said:

14 Plate is two years out of warranty. 

I wouldn’t like to be swinging by mi balls for two years :D

And yet a Kia is still covered (like your balls I hope) ;o)

7 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

And yet a Kia is still covered (like your balls I hope) ;o)

Yes that begs me to ask... These cars with 5 and 7 year warrantys do they have any major issues within warranty period?

A brand name is just hype. Mercedes charges £60+ vat for a tow eye cover....on an old cls....

Con !