CRW

Got anything with 12 months MOT for about £300 mate?

Just wondered how everybody else deals with these sort of customers? I get really bored of these people appearing in the doorway with a long list of "requirements" and literally bugger all to buy it with. I think the worst one was a few months back this old dreamer turned up, told me he wanted something really nice, had to be in excellent condition, wouldn't accept any rubbish, was prepared to pay £300.   Told him the guy in the workshop with one arm has a push bike that cost £3500, go figure.

I had a call today, a customer who has got up to £2000 to spend. Told them I had nothing. They asked me to find them something, to which I said no, its not worth the hassle. To me a £2000 retail car will probably end up owing me about £1995 by the time its prepped.  Am I just in a bad mood today as its VAT return week, or do people really bother searching for sub £2000 cars for customers?!

If it's there they can have it. I keep a little list of people and if something crops up that I would've bought anyway then I'll ring them. No special effort goes into it but when it does work out it makes them feel all nice and glowy... and I tend to earn £200-300 more than I would've normally sold it for :lol:

I love those sorts " not " 

We all get them , usually with us its "what AUTO's do you have for less than £500" :lol:Or "what £20 tax cars have you got under £500" :D

I keep meaning to buy one and park it up , Over there mister , its the green one covered in dents , rust and bald tyres :ph34r: yours for £400 , skip comes with it :)

The other one I had a couple of weeks ago was a family friend who wanted a Fiat 500 for their daughter for between £1000 and £1500.  I think some people just pick a car and pick a number and imagine it will magically happen.

Unless they are a total tool, I do keep their number "in case something comes in". I then file it and tend to just forget it!

Or on the other hand you do happen to get the clean 44000 miles 1 owner polo corsa etc in px or little auction gem put it up at between £995 -£1995 dependent on year etc

and you got the punter wants the four matching Michelin tyres  and full main dealer service history types they always say I'm a mechanic  mot it on the forecourt you say were do you work they always say something like aww asda packing shelfs now not been in the trade in years  .

or they want it absolute mint out it box and moan about the touched in bumper corner scuff on a £1295 polo 

they walk away

you get other customer says it the best they have seen and just part with the cash without hassle funny old world 

Edited by Casper

15 minutes ago, Casper said:

they always say I'm a mechanic  you say were do you work they always say something like aww asda packing shelfs now not been in the trade in years  .

Then they try to chat to you, "yeah mate, it is what it is", trying to be cool despite the fact they are sweating their nuts off trying to rake up £250 to pay for it.

I feel like saying that when it implodes going up the road or the rear end collapses with rot, it will still be "it is what it is",  totally knackered!

They also like to tell you they have sold loads of cars over the years as if I should be impressed.  The fact they are penniless, middle aged and stinking suggests they weren't very good at it.

Edited by CRW

14 minutes ago, CRW said:

Then they try to chat to you, "yeah mate, it is what it is", trying to be cool despite the fact they are sweating their nuts off trying to rake up £250 to pay for it.

I feel like saying that when it implodes going up the road or the rear end collapses with rot, it will still be "it is what it is",  totally knackered!

I like when they buy something else then you find out from a friend it was a total wreck that did collapse or head gasket away or something only happened to me once but did give me a bit of satisfaction was working for a small little car dealer at the time cheaper stuff was his thing 

had an old focus 1 years test etc it got took it in px guy in the local pub was looking for a car said he didn't have a good feeling. About the way it drove 

He bought a 207 from another garage mot station the exhaust fell off in the first week the wheel bearings packed up heater motor back axle went etc lasted about 3 months then he traded it in for a corsa on pcp

sold the focus to another guy known to us he ran it 3 years passed mot with minor work etc and then sold it on for a few hundred think we only charged about £795 at the time of sale  

Edited by Casper

I had today, can you do it for £2000 cash trade sale, (car was up for £2495) i replied sorry pete we have prepped it past trade sale specs shall i keep your number anything pops up we always like to trade something on.

To which he replied what does trade mean as regards what do i get ? 

I replied the full details will be in your traders guide, he replied of course i forgot about that will check later cheers for your help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, BHM said:

You can’t deal with twats like this

:D

20 hours ago, CRW said:

Just wondered how everybody else deals with these sort of customers? I get really bored of these people appearing in the doorway with a long list of "requirements" and literally bugger all to buy it with. I think the worst one was a few months back this old dreamer turned up, told me he wanted something really nice, had to be in excellent condition, wouldn't accept any rubbish, was prepared to pay £300.   Told him the guy in the workshop with one arm has a push bike that cost £3500, go figure.

Tell him FB and scumtree are full of £300 bangers, but there's a reason why?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, justina3 said:

I had today, can you do it for £2000 cash trade sale, (car was up for £2495)

I would have asked him for his traders VAT Number :rolleyes: 

On 9/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, CRW said:

The other one I had a couple of weeks ago was a family friend who wanted a Fiat 500 for their daughter for between £1000 and £1500.  I think some people just pick a car and pick a number and imagine it will magically happen.

Unless they are a total tool, I do keep their number "in case something comes in". I then file it and tend to just forget it!

They do ! they pick a car and pick a number ! trouble is they seem to come to me first ! Then i spend five minutes explaining at that figure [£] they will get scrap, then they walk off thinking i am having them over !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

They do ! they pick a car and pick a number ! trouble is they seem to come to me first ! Then i spend five minutes explaining at that figure [£] they will get scrap, then they walk off thinking i am having them over !

Trouble is too , when or if you see them again they have spent 5 x the figure they quoted you . Then you think " you plonker if you told me that figure we would have had a go :o"

18 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Trouble is too , when or if you see them again they have spent 5 x the figure they quoted you . Then you think " you plonker if you told me that figure we would have had a go :o"

Thats a regular one David .had that a couple of times  

15 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Numerous times but at the time you’re pissing into the wind trying to talk sense into them.

They often come crawling back 6-12 months later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1