JA Trader

Cars That Stick.

I have a fiesta titanium in stock that we cant shift for the life of us. Been up for sale since march. Good condition 37k on the clock. It is a category N but that's nothing new to us and does not normally affect our sales to much as we do a fair few of them.

What do you all suggest to try and change it up and sell it ?

I have lowered the price taken some different photos i had originally put 12 months mot on the car that is now more like 9 months ( I have offered to out 12 months on it again for any customer). Im not hearing a whisper on this car not even the normal time wasters.

Suppose sometimes they just stick but wanting to see if there is anything else i can do.

ive got a cat d here,nobodies even peered into the interior in 3 months so i put the price up and i have an appointment for thursday on it

so  reducing isnt always the answer

my advice would be change all photos

completely rewrite the advert

see if the car needs another deep detailing

sell as long mot (you can always offer new fresh mot as a sales tool face to face)

Fiesta's are strange cars for selling.  Supposedly the most popular car on the road, I tend to get landed with them for a while (my fault I know for buying them!).  Have just sent out a 63 plate one this morning, it was here for 8 months. I think the problem is there are so many around, no matter where you price them theres always another one somewhere close by that will undercut you. The category N factor on yours wont be helping im afraid.

I've had a 1 series m sport in since early December..... Its been here so long it's decided to throw a wobbly and start over heating. Goes back into the garage next week to have another MOT, then fresh detail, new pics and new description and back up at full price. 

Lowering the price doesn't always work, we ended up knocked 1k off the retail value and it just attracted even more lowballers that were unrealistic. 

Had a audi a3 sline in the right colour spec everything going for it and not a sniff on it been here since mid January and 1 call last Wednesday and it's gone:) just the way it is unfortunately. Somebody will have it eventually 

Happy to see that it isn't just me.

Im gonna take some fresh photos and stick it back up for £2795

See if we get any nibbles

1 hour ago, CRW said:

Fiesta's are strange cars for selling.  Supposedly the most popular car on the road, I tend to get landed with them for a while (my fault I know for buying them!).  Have just sent out a 63 plate one this morning, it was here for 8 months. I think the problem is there are so many around, no matter where you price them theres always another one somewhere close by that will undercut you. The category N factor on yours wont be helping im afraid.

I have only done a few of them and i agree sometimes they sell really quickly and other times stuck with us for ages cant win them all.

1 hour ago, Mikey360 said:

I've had a 1 series m sport in since early December..... Its been here so long it's decided to throw a wobbly and start over heating. Goes back into the garage next week to have another MOT, then fresh detail, new pics and new description and back up at full price. 

Lowering the price doesn't always work, we ended up knocked 1k off the retail value and it just attracted even more lowballers that were unrealistic. 

I completely agree with the price thing actually when we lowered the price we had someone offering me £1750 for it and quoting every value in the book.

Whilst we are talking about Fiesta's, I just traded one to a local dealer, 2007, 1.2, one owner, 31k miles FFSH. Had been here for ………...about 3 years. I am not joking!! It just became like part of the family. I miss it.

Hmmm. I don't have any issues with 1.2 as long as it's a good colour. Sadly Ford have some great colours and some bloody awful ones. I always find the titanium to be a bit disappointing on spec as standard, unless someone has ticked some option boxes. The 1.4 to a certain extent, and the 1.6 for sure, will take root here.

Edited by met

This was a Style Climate, air con but with wheel trims in Tonic Blue.  I thought mileage would have sold it alone, but to be fair I struggle to sell cheaper stuff, which seems strange. I blame it on the fact that if you have a car advertised at £2995, a private punter down the road will be selling theirs for £2495 or less. Customers know they will get warranty etc with the £2995 retail car, but if you only have £2495 to spend then that's what you spend.

1 hour ago, met said:

Hmmm. I don't have any issues with 1.2 as long as it's a good colour. Sadly Ford have some great colours and some bloody awful ones. I always find the titanium to be a bit disappointing on spec as standard, unless someone has ticked some option boxes. The 1.4 to a certain extent, and the 1.6 for sure, will take root here.

I agree the 1.25 on the newer models sell to a lot of new drivers. The 1.6 sporty ones sell to every young lad and lass going but the 1.4 ( what this one is) dosent really have a target audience apart from maybe the older generation but they aren't going to buy a category car.

7 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I agree the 1.25 on the newer models sell to a lot of new drivers. The 1.6 sporty ones sell to every young lad and lass going but the 1.4 ( what this one is) dosent really have a target audience apart from maybe the older generation but they aren't going to buy a category car.

Yeah, the new drivers really like them. But there are huge numbers for sale and people can afford to be picky, what colour is it?

Just now, met said:

Yeah, the new drivers really like them. But there are huge numbers for sale and people can afford to be picky, what colour is it?

Another debate i think its purple business partner says red. Logbook say red. Its a magenta colour. Definitely a girls colour which does not help either cutting the market in half

1 minute ago, JA Trader said:

Another debate i think its purple business partner says red. Logbook say red. Its a magenta colour. Definitely a girls colour which does not help either cutting the market in half

Yeah, I know it. It's not the worst colour. Shame it's not vision blue?

I’ve got a black Mini Cooper S wedged up my arse with the doors open! Lovely condition, new mot, full dealer history, 50k Miles, was fairly priced to start with, but over time knocked a grand off it and I still haven’t taken a single call on the thing. Been here for 3 months now. Spec is a bit crap, but at its current price it really should have a bit of interest. 

Take it off sale for a week, reclean, re photo, price differently (sometimes my hits go up if its say 3487 rather than 3495) and change the strap line. Make sure the colour shows well in the pics (i've had it a couple of times and sold well), I guess as a CAT N, it has to be well priced vs other cars locally, but theres a bum for every seat.

Had a magenta titanium 3 door 1.4 for ages as well. Very low miles, started at 4995 gradually reduced to 3850 over 5 months, not a sniff.

Fresh mot, new photos and back up to 4995, sold in a week!

Magenta red and Squeeze green are both hard work. Both colours I think were an extra £400 option. 

26 minutes ago, JDM1983 said:

I’ve got a black Mini Cooper S wedged up my arse with the doors open! Lovely condition, new mot, full dealer history, 50k Miles, was fairly priced to start with, but over time knocked a grand off it and I still haven’t taken a single call on the thing. Been here for 3 months now. Spec is a bit crap, but at its current price it really should have a bit of interest. 

I do love a mini we do really well of these and they make up 75% of our stock. But you do get some strange people buying them.

12 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Had a magenta titanium 3 door 1.4 for ages as well. Very low miles, started at 4995 gradually reduced to 3850 over 5 months, not a sniff.

Fresh mot, new photos and back up to 4995, sold in a week!

Magenta red and Squeeze green are both hard work. Both colours I think were an extra £400 option. 

I think im gonna do this.

Quick wash over fresh photos completely new listing

37 minutes ago, met said:

Yeah, I know it. It's not the worst colour. Shame it's not vision blue?

I cant keep vision blues in stock i have sold two of them to neighbors.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Parents seem to think there's a big difference in insurance between the 1.2 and 1.4, but little difference now everything is black box. 1.4 gives you a bit more breathing space at roundabouts/overtaking too. Sold a lovely one 1.4 in Vision Blue to a friend for his daughter, she loves it.

22 hours ago, CRW said:

Style Climate, air con but with wheel trims in Tonic Blue

I have the same model and colour in stock, low mileage etc. Hardly any enquiries.

My brother thinks its the colour and I think it's the spec thats making it stick

Sick of the sight of it!

10 minutes ago, CCC said:

Parents seem to think there's a big difference in insurance between the 1.2 and 1.4, but little difference now everything is black box. 1.4 gives you a bit more breathing space at roundabouts/overtaking too. Sold a lovely one 1.4 in Vision Blue to a friend for his daughter, she loves it.

this is why they like small engine cars though so they dont go fast and therefore they think its safer

most people still dont understand black boxes either until you explain the merits but then they start putting up objections like little arthur is a lovely driver,yer............. then you see him friday night in the maccy dee car park stuffing his face and do..nuting.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AAM90 said:

I have the same model and colour in stock, low mileage etc. Hardly any enquiries.

My brother thinks its the colour and I think it's the spec thats making it stick

Sick of the sight of it!

Im beginning to wonder if fiestas just dont sell that well we have had a few an non bar one have sold particularly quickly. I might remove them from our purchase list for a few months see if i cant try an Aygo or something along those lines

1 hour ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

this is why they like small engine cars though so they dont go fast and therefore they think its safer

most people still dont understand black boxes either until you explain the merits but then they start putting up objections like little arthur is a lovely driver,yer............. then you see him friday night in the maccy dee car park stuffing his face and do..nuting.....

Haha don't think you was ever young unless several handbrake turns where pulled in maccies car parks.

gone of buying them, they shake themselves to bits bushes bearings more rattles than nursery 

As if by magic. Received a call last night and have a viewing about the fiesta this afternoon. Fingers crossed it goes.

On 03/07/2019 at 0:33 PM, jason doyle motor sales said:

ive got a cat d here,nobodies even peered into the interior in 3 months so i put the price up and i have an appointment for thursday on it

so  reducing isnt always the answer

my advice would be change all photos

completely rewrite the advert

see if the car needs another deep detailing

sell as long mot (you can always offer new fresh mot as a sales tool face to face)

just sold

he who waits rodney

weird thing is i took a depo yesterday,customer left the building and i get another call for it

ive had it 3 months i day and 22 minutes

so if its not selling maybe your customers arent looking at your ballpark retail figure so up it

remember you can always negotiate down never up