Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

For those worried about electric cars....

Don’t even bother worrying.... 

And after a pint I’ve just figured out why.

Have you ever travelled in a Family car with 3-4 youngsters and only one iPhone charger and everyone’s on 20%....  let me tell you... it’s chaos..... everyone is fighting for the charger..... no one wants to run out and there isn’t enough juice to go Around.

this is the exact same problem with electric cars.

If the country had 50% electric cars there would be absolute carnage in built up areas..... and the cost to install these charging points would be incredible.

im stuck at Faro air port and that is my thought of the day.

i will sleep easy tonight now :) 

You are dead right ...................

Trouble is the tree huggers will keep making noise until the infrastructure is in place, the Govt will find the billions from somewhere, likely by more taxes for us lot :(

That's quite coherent posting so far - I'd keep necking 'em and see what else comes up.

My friend works in Germany on renewables/ environmental and he told me the UK is around 15-20 years behind the more developed parts of Europe who are still not near ready, not to mention the additional demand on the UK's over-stressed grid... which relies too heavily on fossil to make it genuinely environmentally friendly anyway. I could go. :lol:

Once they develop interchangeable electric batteries it's a game changer (i.e. every car manufacturer conforms and makes cars that can run on the same battery, maybe bigger or smaller depending on the size of the car)  you turn up at what used to be a petrol station (now named a Tesla Battery Point) and for a fee they unclip your used battery and put in a freshly charged one, putting your old one on charge, until it finishes it's usable life where it's sent back for reconditioning.

As far as I'm concerned if you want to be a true eco warrior today buy a proven 7-10+ year old petrol car in good nick and maintain it properly (ideally buying it off me :lol:).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Don’t even bother worrying.... 

And after a pint I’ve just figured out why.

Have you ever travelled in a Family car with 3-4 youngsters and only one iPhone charger and everyone’s on 20%....  let me tell you... it’s chaos..... everyone is fighting for the charger..... no one wants to run out and there isn’t enough juice to go Around.

this is the exact same problem with electric cars.

If the country had 50% electric cars there would be absolute carnage in built up areas..... and the cost to install these charging points would be incredible.

im stuck at Faro air port and that is my thought of the day.

i will sleep easy tonight now :) 

most people with electric cars have somewhere to park their cars and so also somewhere to charge their cars. Nearly every car out or due out which is just battery only (not phev) does around or over 200 miles.

The newer ones will only continue improving as the batteries get more energy dense and cheaper due to development. So with what will be a minimum range of 200 miles that should cover most people for nearly every journey they do in a car. Average commute is about 10 miles now so 20 round trip. When you start with a full 'tank' if you have charged at home this distance is nothing. For the majority of people a car that has 200 miles range is fine. The times when you will need to charge other than at home will be few and far between.

The new intelligent chargers are now starting to take advantage of when the grid is lightly loaded to then start to charge, or use electricity from the owners solar panels or when the grid has a surplus of wind/solar energy, this will only get more advanced. So when the wind turbines are producing more than is needed at night ,this can go into the car batteries, and when there is a demand greater than usual on the grid, the cars plugged in can assist the grid by putting power into it, this is again at an early stage but it is coming.(Fully charged channel on youtube is great for all this tech news). Typical household electric usage is 13kwh per day. Soon there will be millions of cars with 40kwh+ batteries plugged into houses to balance /assist the grid if needed so rather than hinder the grid ,they may just help to keep the lights on! Super cheap 'fuel' quiet and fast, no gear changes. With VW caught cheating again with their 'clean' V6 diesels it's time to get shot of these with electric cars. It is the future and when it arrives it will be good for all of us. (Yes I am a Leaf owner!)

news that as of monday all new electric cars must admit noise when travelling below 12mph for safety reasons, cue some spotty teenager making the next fortune from an app.

I'm guessing the likes of 'Npower' etc are rubbing their hands in anticipation of home charging points for everyone?

The only way I'd ever consider being forced into a non Petrol Engined Car would be if I were allowed to rebuild an older IC Car of my choice with Electric power in my own workshops ...............

i.e create my own Electric Hot Rod. I somehow doubt I would be allowed to do so by the time all this is implemented, so as far as I'm concerned they will have to jail me for continuing to use my V8's after they are outlawed.

By the time that all happens, hopefully I'll be past driving myself around anyway.

Oh, and btw, getting rid of IC Engines WILL NOT make a significant difference to the Ozone / Atmosphere ................. It is all just simply propaganda bullshit spawned by some know nothing wanker.

Why the fuck should I and the millions of other Petrol Headed IC lovers be told we can no longer pursue our love of IC engined Cars, when there is in fact no tangible argument to support all this Eco Bollocks ......................

None of it stands up in a decent technical argument ....................

Electric Cars are no more environmentally friendly than a modern IC Petrol, they are just made out to be by morons who have been cloned !!

113297462_elec-car-1.jpg

I'm out :(

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

The only way I'd ever consider being forced into a non Petrol Engined Car would be if I were allowed to rebuild an older IC Car of my choice with Electric power in my own workshops ...............

i.e create my own Electric Hot Rod. I somehow doubt I would be allowed to do so by the time all this is implemented, so as far as I'm concerned they will have to jail me for continuing to use my V8's after they are outlawed.

By the time that all happens, hopefully I'll be past driving myself around anyway.

Oh, and btw, getting rid of IC Engines WILL NOT make a significant difference to the Ozone / Atmosphere ................. It is all just simply propaganda bullshit spawned by some know nothing wanker.

Why the fuck should I and the millions of other Petrol Headed IC lovers be told we can no longer pursue our love of IC engined Cars, when there is in fact no tangible argument to support all this Eco Bollocks ......................

None of it stands up in a decent technical argument ....................

Electric Cars are no more environmentally friendly than a modern IC Petrol, they are just made out to be by morons who have been cloned !!

113297462_elec-car-1.jpg

I'm out :(

agree, there's a lot of bullshite involved regarding emissions, the carbon footprint on making a new electric vehicle alone far out weighs its savings opposed to buying a lumpy v8 which already exists as a used car' where's the incentive / levvy to chose an existing used car then???????

reminds me of a few years back when paul mcCartney decided to go green by buying a new lexus LS hybrid, then later after delivery was gutted when he was told that model is imported into the u.k via aircraft:lol:

14 hours ago, tradex said:

You have a Leaf with a 200 mile range, wow that is good. 

I wish! about 70 real range but thats all i need. once or twice a year I'll nick the wifes car if I go any distance.

3 minutes ago, Mistermuttley said:

I wish! about 70 real range but thats all i need. once or twice a year I'll nick the wifes car if I go any distance.

We have a 2016 leaf, I just did 75 miles on a full charge, it still said 20 miles on the range too.

I drove it steadily, with no air con on. 

I have to say.... I’m quite impressed by it. 

23 minutes ago, Stalker said:

We have a 2016 leaf, I just did 75 miles on a full charge, it still said 20 miles on the range too.

I drove it steadily, with no air con on. 

I have to say.... I’m quite impressed by it. 

Mine is old a 2012 model, only done 36k miles though and the 24kwh model. yours is probably the 30kwh model, everything now made or about to be made is generally 40kwh plus.  

But yes they are surprising!

Have you seen the photos on Facebook of the RAC van that tows a trailer with a petrol generator on board so they can recharge electric cars that have run out of power at the roadside!  

I have to say though that the acceleration is something to behold!  A Tesla can out perform a super bike off the line. Simple buggers off!  Amazing!  That has to be addictive even if you can only do it once or twice!

Edited by Scrawf
Addition

21 hours ago, Scrawf said:

A Tesla can out perform a super bike off the line

Yeah, sure, it can get up and go better than a lot, (for the first approx 1/4 mile), but after that, over the next 1/4 mile the Superbike / S55 Kompressor, C63 AMG etc etc will just fuck off and leave it for dead ...............

That has been proven by myself and many others.

21 hours ago, Scrawf said:

Have you seen the photos on Facebook of the RAC van that tows a trailer with a petrol generator on board so they can recharge electric cars that have run out of power at the roadside!  

Says it all, and in the real world as opposed to the "Fairy Dairy Land" propaganda ;)

However, even I can see the benefits of owning one if you live and work in / around one of our cities.

But, as I used to regularly do 650 mile journey, Kyle to Kent. Average of a 10 - 11 hour drive overnight these days. 12 years ago, overnight, I did it in 6 hours 55 mins, I would never get near that nowadays due to significantly increased Traffic, IR SCameras, M/Way Road Works, Detours, etc etc. 

V8 S Class will do 400 + miles on a full tank at 80 - 90 mph, 10 minutes in services and you're off again !!

CDI E Class Diesel will do door to door at the same speed (just) on a tank full !! ....................

Serious questions, as I simply have no idea .....................

How far will the Tesla go on a full charge at 80 - 90 mph ??

How long does it take to fully recharge ??  

What is the real world (sustainable) cost of charging one ??

(not you can recharge for a pound etc etc due to subsidies etc, 'cos that is not sustainable long term), same as the free road tax etc, once everyone is driving these fucking things it will all be taxed to the hilt) :(

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 1

Personally, I don't think that 'electric' cars will merely replace fossil fuel vehicles, but the way we use and look at cars as personal transport in the future will change?

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 10:41 AM, Scrawf said:

A Tesla can out perform a super bike off the line. Simple buggers off!  Amazing!  That has to be addictive even if you can only do it once or twice!

Cant out do our:lol: Hyabusa supercharged super bike , leaves a Tesla covered in stone chips :D Has it with the drive for about 10 yards the its bye bye when the power hits the rubber :P.

XFR Jag does the same it is 600 bhp mind , 10 yards and were off past the Teslas thingy never to been seen again :P

We were just running the bike against the Jag when Tesla boy turns up , they are quick though but three runs and he had to go home at 30 mph to conserve power , know that cos we passed him :D on way home in a DIESEL Van :rolleyes:

On 03/07/2019 at 10:41 AM, Scrawf said:

Best thing would be a fork lift and a skip when run out , 

4 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

'Grave concern' as sales of low emission cars fall https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48865702

didnt read the article as i wouldnt believe a word of what the bbc say

anyway we need to leave the eu tear up the paris agreement and open up some pits

its the future, short term

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

'Grave concern' as sales of low emission cars fall https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48865702

And manufacturers have another reason to act. They could face fines if their new cars aren't green enough once European Union regulations kick-in in 2021.

Much has been said of the government's target of no new diesels and petrols by 2040.

But a more interesting question is: when will the tipping-point for electric sales arrive in Britain?

Experts inside and outside of government talk about 2025.

Facing Fines if they aren't green enough because EU regs kick in 2021 , how the F###k should that affect the UK . 

Wait till the public find out what a battery costs , and IF the Electric revolution does move forward as they all hope, the old battery cars are going to be worth lots less than they thought . 

Imagine the inane conversations we will get " whats the charging time on this one then ?" How many miles left in this car ?" has it got a new battery " I'll do the deal if you change the battery " What sort of battery has it got on " see it coming cant you .:lol:

On 04/07/2019 at 0:09 PM, David Horgan said:

Cant out do our:lol: Hyabusa supercharged super bike , leaves a Tesla covered in stone chips :D Has it with the drive for about 10 yards the its bye bye when the power hits the rubber :P.

XFR Jag does the same it is 600 bhp mind , 10 yards and were off past the Teslas thingy never to been seen again :P

We were just running the bike against the Jag when Tesla boy turns up , they are quick though but three runs and he had to go home at 30 mph to conserve power , know that cos we passed him :D on way home in a DIESEL Van :rolleyes:

Best thing would be a fork lift and a skip when run out , 

19 hours ago, David Horgan said:

And manufacturers have another reason to act. They could face fines if their new cars aren't green enough once European Union regulations kick-in in 2021.

Much has been said of the government's target of no new diesels and petrols by 2040.

But a more interesting question is: when will the tipping-point for electric sales arrive in Britain?

Experts inside and outside of government talk about 2025.

Facing Fines if they aren't green enough because EU regs kick in 2021 , how the F###k should that affect the UK . 

Wait till the public find out what a battery costs , and IF the Electric revolution does move forward as they all hope, the old battery cars are going to be worth lots less than they thought . 

Imagine the inane conversations we will get " whats the charging time on this one then ?" How many miles left in this car ?" has it got a new battery " I'll do the deal if you change the battery " What sort of battery has it got on " see it coming cant you .:lol:

LIKE and Agreed :)

I was gonna say:-

I would have expected my unrestricted 180 BHP n/a ZX 12R to have left the Tesla within the first 1/8th, but a bit of a fuzzy memory as I sold it 14 years ago ;)

My S55K is kicking out the same numbers as your Jag, and last year down Broadford Airstrip I left the Tesla well within the first 1/4, at that point I didn't have the correct wheels and tyres on it as I was refurbing the staggered set, so instead of the decent 275's it only had cheapie 245's on it, no bullshit the Traction Control was definitely limiting mine, but it still ate the Tesla ;)   

A very recent Top Gear ran the new Tesla against a C63 AMG and a couple of other big IC's , their footage showed that the Tesla fucked off over the first 1/4, and after that it was only the big Merc that annihilated it, personally I think that test footage was rigged for media propaganda EV promotion purposes ...................

I have driven a fair few C63's and they are quicker than my 55K, either that or the spanking new Tesla is light years in front of my buddies 1 year old Tesla that we raced down Broadford Airstrip last summer.

Cost him an expensive lunch that did :D

• Like 1

I suspect it’s easier to tweak an electric car for performance purposes in a test than an IC..also lots of different power models around nowadays.

On 04/07/2019 at 1:20 PM, NOACROSS said:

Personally think it’s a storm in a tea cup, mainly because there has been limited production / supply of new mainstream PHEV / EV as well as models that dropped off last year due to WLTP have not been replaced yet (330e, C350e & Golf GTE). 

Come quarter 4 when the new 330e comes out we will hear the BBC talking about a massive jump in PHEV sales, I know BMW dealers are going to struggle with the current demand.

Does anyone think there will be a boris style electric car system? That he did with the bikes? Lol!

drive the car and park it up and jump in another when that’s flat haha 

There are a couple of companies with very short term EV hire so not far away.

Enterprise were quick with their car club, it seems to work OK apart from when there is a big event and to many cars turn up for the allocation of bays.  They just need to convert that to electric, one would assume PHEV first to check it works and then full EV.