Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Sold my last diesel

Just sold my last diesel. As much as I love them, I won't be getting any more to sell here in sunny North East London. Sign of the times.

I still might be swayed into one as a smoker though:ph34r:

Here in North Wales economy has always been the name of the game. More chance of us stopping shagging sheep than there is of no longer buying diesel.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sparky said:

Here in North Wales economy has always been the name of the game. More chance of us stopping shagging sheep than there is of no longer buying diesel.

:lol:

Apparently diesel sales were on the increase last year. There are people in the country that have no idea about low emissions zones, never mind the notion of not buying an oil burner. There are people out there who love a 3 litre derv with all the toys. 

Granted in central London things are different. 

32 minutes ago, EPV said:

:lol:

Apparently diesel sales were on the increase last year. There are people in the country that have no idea about low emissions zones, never mind the notion of not buying an oil burner. There are people out there who love a 3 litre derv with all the toys. 

Granted in central London things are different. 

I actually sold it to two young girls from Maidstone? I rarely sell cars locally, weird?

But the upcoming changes to the LEZ will bring it within spitting distance of me and I'm a little spooked at the prospect. We'll see what happens when the dust has settled. It's such a weird market, as many people live in Greater London but work outside of London so the LEZ won't affect their commuting at the moment. But I wonder how soon before the LEZ stretches out to the M25. I had a letter from the council today asking for my opinion on making the local school a car free area at school opening and closing times. They will set up ANPR outside to fine drivers caught driving in the hour before and after school. Homeowners opposite the school will have to register their car VRN with the council. Fine is £130 with the usual 50% reduction if paid early. I'm sure like the LEZ all this will be making it's way to the shires soon enough as it's a money maker and most local councils are broke so watch out!

Edited by met

Us boyos in Wales only know about them lez you see in them videos, definitely nothing to do with motoring. 

32 minutes ago, met said:

I actually sold it to two young girls from Maidstone? I rarely sell cars locally, weird?

But the upcoming changes to the LEZ will bring it within spitting distance of me and I'm a little spooked at the prospect. We'll see what happens when the dust has settled. It's such a weird market, as many people live in Greater London but work outside of London so the LEZ won't affect their commuting at the moment. But I wonder how soon before the LEZ stretches out to the M25. I had a letter from the council today asking for my opinion on making the local school a car free area at school opening and closing times. They will set up ANPR outside to fine drivers caught driving in the hour before and after school. Homeowners opposite the school will have to register their car VRN with the council. Fine is £130 with the usual 50% reduction if paid early. I'm sure like the LEZ all this will be making it's way to the shires soon enough as it's a money maker and most local councils are broke so watch out!

Oi, get orf moi paaatch

i bought a hybrid today, going to see what happens with it and how much interest I have with it. I doubt the farmers round my way will want it but the middle class snobs might 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dealer said:

Us boyos in Wales only know about them lez you see in them videos, definitely nothing to do with motoring. 

+1

When I was a boy any reference to a Lez at school was an insult that referred to a female who preferred the company of other females to males.

How times have changed!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EPV said:

Oi, get orf moi paaatch

i bought a hybrid today, going to see what happens with it and how much interest I have with it. I doubt the farmers round my way will want it but the middle class snobs might 

Well, they're popular around these parts so don't be surprised if it doesn't sell to one of my lot. I'd love to try a hybrid, good luck with it.:)

Selling used cars in an affluent middle class area must have its own challenges.

As I understand it diesel cars have to be Euro 6 compliant to be exempt from clean air zone and low emission zone charges.  For a diesel to be Euro 6 compliant it cannot emit more than 80mg/km (0.08 grams per kilometre) of NOx gases, while a petrol can emit no more than 60mg/km. 

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/euro-6-emissions-standard-cars/522/what-are-euro-6-emissions-standards-why-you-need-to-know

So presumably selling diesels that are Euro 6 compliant should be OK?  Trouble is that even BlueMotion cars seem to have higher emissions than that!

2 minutes ago, Scrawf said:

As I understand it diesel cars have to be Euro 6 compliant to be exempt from clean air zone and low emission zone charges.  For a diesel to be Euro 6 compliant it cannot emit more than 80mg/km (0.08 grams per kilometre) of NOx gases, while a petrol can emit no more than 60mg/km. 

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/euro-6-emissions-standard-cars/522/what-are-euro-6-emissions-standards-why-you-need-to-know

So presumably selling diesels that are Euro 6 compliant should be OK?  Trouble is that even BlueMotion cars seem to have higher emissions than that!

Euro 6 diesels are 65 plate and above

If you think your average car buyer knows that Eur 6 diesels are accepted in the ULEZ you’re mental. They don’t. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dealer said:

:lol::lol:

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

If you think your average car buyer knows that Eur 6 diesels are accepted in the ULEZ you’re mental. They don’t. 

13 hours ago, Dealer said:

I wish we had those fake taxis.

• Like 2

We have sold a diesel 208 this morning , Free tax one and that's why she bought it , Sold a diesel Fiesta Zetec S last week because it was cheaper to insure .

Not as much interest as a good few months ago now days , but not all people hate them . 

I hate the dirty beggars and would refuse to own one , but selling them is different isn't it , cant say we miss clogged up EGR's , turbo's , injectors , DPF's and the rest of the shite that goes wrong with oil burners though as we do have a lot less nowdays in stock .

Only had a few Hybrids to sell , but my road we live on is filling up with rent a hybrid . Hate them too really , cant see the point , only do 32 mpg at best not 70 or a million mpg like they advertise , might be my flatout or stop driving style cos I'm used to 500+ bhp in my driver :D

Hi Met

You could be missing out if you are in North London.The Trade Centre have plenty of ex fleet ULEZ blue tec stuff.They must be selling them.Even us up in Newcastle sold a ULEZ friendly blue efficient C Class diesel down your area and I think it was going to  save the punter £27 per day in fees.Ours was ex fleet and apparently very cheap compared with London prices.

On 01/06/2019 at 11:01 AM, sparky said:

I wish we had those fake taxis.

I suspect not if you were the one in the back :)

On 01/06/2019 at 9:39 AM, Tony911 said:

Euro 6 diesels are 65 plate and above

This is not always the case. There are 2013 and 2014 models (Mazda 6, BMW 530D) that are Euro 6. It depends on the date when a manufacturer paid to certify some models.

You can have 2013 BMW 530D Euro 6 and 2014 BMW 520D Euro 5.

But after 65 reg they all are. 

Agree with TV that not stocking diesel at all is a mistake. 

Auction prices are low in the London area, many dealers avoid the stock but a lot of buyers still want them and they now look great value for money, 

I had 3 viewings and 2 sales this weekend, all diesel. Based 2 miles from the M25. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

There are no petrol comparatives for quality diesels. 

Not everybody needs to transport themselves into central London

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Met

You could be missing out if you are in North London.The Trade Centre have plenty of ex fleet ULEZ blue tec stuff.They must be selling them.Even us up in Newcastle sold a ULEZ friendly blue efficient C Class diesel down your area and I think it was going to  save the punter £27 per day in fees.Ours was ex fleet and apparently very cheap compared with London prices.

Bit out of my league i'm afraid

30 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

There are no petrol comparatives for quality diesels. 

Not everybody needs to transport themselves into central London

45 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

This is not always the case. There are 2013 and 2014 models (Mazda 6, BMW 530D) that are Euro 6. It depends on the date when a manufacturer paid to certify some models.

You can have 2013 BMW 530D Euro 6 and 2014 BMW 520D Euro 5.

But after 65 reg they all are. 

Agree with TV that not stocking diesel at all is a mistake. 

Auction prices are low in the London area, many dealers avoid the stock but a lot of buyers still want them and they now look great value for money, 

I had 3 viewings and 2 sales this weekend, all diesel. Based 2 miles from the M25. 

I'm within spitting distance of the North circular and I'm not sure how the expansion of LEZ in 2020 will impact on the me? Also don't forget that there will be a 'hate campaign' coming soon to scare the feeble minded owners out of diesels to save the planet?

Edited by met

18 minutes ago, met said:

Bit out of my league i'm afraid

I'm within spitting distance of the North circular and I'm not sure how the expansion of LEZ in 2020 will impact on the me? Also don't forget that there will be a 'hate campaign' coming soon to scare the feeble minded owners out of diesels to save the planet?

I think If I lived down their I would be more worried about knife crime,moped robberies and lack of police and possible terrorist attacks rather than clean diesels destroying the planet.

51 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I think If I lived down their I would be more worried about knife crime,moped robberies and lack of police and possible terrorist attacks rather than clean diesels destroying the planet.

you should be more worried that an alien spaceship had transferred you to an alien land

i felt out of place 40 years ago, i dont even like driving down there anymore,i was invited to a party by family to wandsworth but doing the streetview i re-conned the venue was too near street violence for my liking

Edited by jason doyle motor sales

8 hours ago, Tony911 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/diesel-drivers-now-due-compensation-14991815

Reading this put me off from buying diesel. Where there's a blame there's a claim society is enough

So to whom would the punters make their claim.I seem to recall Gordon Brown promoted diesel by reducing the fuel duty and road tax.Sales of diesels subsequently rocketed.