Sign in to follow this  
SouthernTrader

Any BMW experts in here?

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out here. I’ve got a BMW 118d, done 90k, just had a new LUK clutch and DMF as the last one was noisy.

customer has reported a vibration right at the top of the clutch. Got it back in and there is a vibration felt through the clutch right at the very top of the biting point.

Changes gears fine and no noise now but just this vibration. If you sit at idle it’s most noticeable right at the top - just as you are dipping the clutch or bringing it up to bite

Anyone got any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated. Apologies if my description is poor! 

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Sounds more like a thrust bearing issue to my uneducated mind? 

Agree , I hope you changed the bearing when you did the clutch/dmf

Hi there, yep it’s had a new release bearing as part of the clutch change 

Weird thing is it’s a very similar feel to when a release bearing is on its way out

Possible the new part is defective. Is happening more and more nowadays.

4 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

This or maybe the mechanic left something lose or even left something in there - it can happen!

(There was a case of a surgeon leaving some equipment inside of someone!)

Edited by TangoVictor32

9 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Have you ever known a brand new clutch/DMF defective? When I had one that I suspected was defective I was told by a couple of garages they’ve never seen one & a few members of this forum said the same & suggested it was something else. 

400 miles later the gearbox ate itself.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Have you ever known a brand new clutch/DMF defective? When I had one that I suspected was defective I was told by a couple of garages they’ve never seen one & a few members of this forum said the same & suggested it was something else. 

Not personally but a garage we use said they’ve had bad wheel bearings, sensors and a spring that went bang an hour after being fitted. Maybe not the clutch or flywheel plates but the bearing is possible.

I wonder whether it’s worth driving the car and riding the clutch a little, see if some wear/ use will sort it out?

Clutch has to be lined up properly when fitted ? Or it shakes 

Flywheel bolts tightened properly ? New Bolts ? 

New release Bearing fitted properly ? It was changed ?" Just a thought 

Might be a silly thought " But they did change the flywheel ? " one hopes . 

Things have been left in silly places as suggested , seen that many times . 

Annoying though isn't it when you've done the right thing 

• Like 1

Yep, David that’s my feeling. Spent a good chunk of money replacing the parts and now I’m back to square one.

I’m going to get it back to the mechanic for another look and hopefully it’s just something simple - rarely is though I find!

thanks for the input guys 

Bad DMF / Clutches happen once in a while, even with LUK !!

I will not fit any other make these days, LUK are OEM for most Car Manufacturers so they are good enough for me.

I'd say over the years of doing LUK clutches / DMF  2 or 3 have been bad, usually Concentric Bearing failures shortly after doing them, .

Garage who fitted it will just have to do the whole job again, clearly a warranty issue.

All above suggestions also apply.................... Like Fitter has left his I phone in their when the glue on his face let go etc etc

If the mechanic says anything other than "Yes no problem I'll tear it apart again if I have to" then you need another mechanic !!

Shit Happenz ;)

Edited by Dave2302

In any case the gearbox will have to come back out.

The release bearing comes with all clutch kits on these, however it doesnt always come with a new clutch arm/fork. Is the fork ok?

Faulty flywheels so soon after replacement can be attributed to another fault elsewhere.

17 hours ago, BHM said:

Any brand new item can be defective.

There is a very low chance but every item has possibility to be faulty. Whether 1 in 1000 or 1 in 10000 it does happen

1 in 10 if its from euros :lol:

Was it even the correct one? Euros are known to send out wrong parts. "Oh there's 2 filters listed" why 2? If so you should know which one my car needs!!

They do play parts darts

Take it back to the guy who fitted it. Hopefully its a 'no problem, I'll sort it ' mechanic. 

Just an update on the situation. Mechanic stripped it out and fitted a new LUK clutch and flywheel and now it’s perfect - no vibration at all.

can only assume the parts were faulty even though I’m told it’s very rare.

old parts are going back for a refund so not a bad outcome in the end.

this is why its always best buying high value  items from the local factor

well done ,sweat over

i ordered a complete kit for a customer last year for a sprinter,it arrived and because i had taken the customers word that the original engine was fitted turns out it wasnt so kit wrong,fortunately i had used pages so i didnt pay the 10% return fee for wrong parts ordered special