Sign in to follow this  
Lazz

Valeting

Just wanted to know what people do as far as Valeting is concerned, it is just that many moons ago when when I operated from a pitch every car got the full works, spare wheel out, back seats lifted cleaned under and engine steamed off the lot, but since I have worked from home I have not gone to the same degree getting engines steamed off etc, but maybe I should and just pay the extra and get them done.

just woundering what every one does, also is it just me but do a lot of valetors start of dead keen but then start scrimping to the point I seam to have to fall out with them to get them to do a proper job.

Full on detail, shampoo, wet vac extraction, engine bay (not engine) degreased, headlining, clay bar'd paintwork, machine polish.

This seems to vary a great deal from dealer to dealer - I know of some dealers who don't valet anything they buy and you can even see light stains on the seats in their ad photos. Not good at all!

Whereas others really go to town even if the car is immaculate and get everything done. Personally, I think it depends on the car. I have gone to extreme lengths in the past but I think a middle ground approach works well with most cars. If it's already immaculate, I'm reluctant to go too far with the valeting. I've had quite a few buyers even say they prefer to see a dirty engine bay! You can't win though with some, when I had a pitch all the engines were steam cleaned and I was accused of trying to cover up leaks! But personally I couldn't sell anything with an absolutely filthy engine bay.

Unless it’s awful we leave engine bay and explain why. Got sick of people saying it’s been cleaned to hide leaks or whatever

Probably once a month someone says they’d prefer it clean so we explain we are happy to do so for collection now they have seen it ‘as is’.

I don't clean the engine but anyone who says they prefer to see leaves and gunge in the engine bay is a liar. When it goes on a ramp for it's test and it's PDI Mr customer, any leaks are spotted and fixed. If you are worried we are hiding something, probably best you don't buy anything from us. 

We Jetwash all engine bays, wheel arches, door shuts and window seals, 

valet inside, shampoo where required, spare wheel well cleaned, 

outside defatted and hand polished though send them out to get machine polished if they are really bad.

Unless you are doing cheapies,if you skimp on valeting or any prep you will lose business.It was instilled in me when I worked on an open pitch when I was a boy that your stock had to look mint at all times,be off the button and smell nice.How often when you leave a stonechip on a bonnet thinking it will sell and it doesn’t.You then get it done and it sells quickly.I know a lot of punters don’t open the lid to inspect and listen before buying these days but for the time it takes,I think you have got to do it.

• Like 2

Stone chip on a bonnet will not make any difference to a modern day buyer’s decision. 

If they walked away it WASN’T because of one stone chip on a bonnet. 

I’ve never steamed cleaned an engine bay in the 14 years I’ve been selling cars and it definitely hasn’t lost me much (if any) business. 

Get some water in an engine ECU, let if freeze overnight, see what happens:-)

• Like 1

I only do the engine bays if they look awful. I wrap up any sensitive stuff with cling film, spray down with soapy water, agitate in, VERY quick spray off with the jet and dry with compressed air and towels, then dress plastics with a tiny bit of tyre shine on a microfibre towel. Only needed to do it a couple of times and it hasn't caused any problems yet (touch wood) 

8 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Stone chip on a bonnet will not make any difference to a modern day buyer’s decision. 

I’ve never steamed cleaned an engine bay in the 14 years I’ve been selling cars and it definitely hasn’t lost me much (if any) business. 

Back last year I had a fussy punter who  wanted the engine bay cleaned due to some leaves and general dirt, just to humour him I told the valeter to do it all by hand and don't put the lance in there at any time........... Now does he spend 20 mins picking out all the dirt and debris or take the easier and quicker option of being a jet wash warrior and just go at it hammer and tongs with his karcher. As soon as I turned my back he took option number 2 which I wasn't aware of until Mr cussy funt customer broke down with loads of dashboard lights coming on. Turned out water had got into one of the ecu's, had to be sent away not once but twice and all this time the punter is telling me how he's lost confidence in the car, wants his money back blah blah blah. Felt like telling him that it's all his fault in the first place as cleaning them in the first place is just asking for trouble. 

8 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Ha Ha,when ECU’s were introduced you learned very quickly.If they got wet you we would take them off and place on top of a radiator for a week a so to dry them out.BTW Nick I don’t believe that any of your stock has stone chips on the bonnet.

anything apart from bangers and trade sales have to be cleaned within an inch of there  lives, Unless every single person is commenting how well looked after  it is and  how  immaculate it is your not at the right level of valet, All used cars will have evidence of wear and tear but if you can get your car clean to such an extent that your punters are not seeing this evidence of use and wear then you are half way to a sale, If you give your customers no reason to walk then why would they, A perfectly clean car as near to "new" as is possible will give you more sales. As we  know  the PLC brigade  use minimum wage guys and its all done in 20 min by 5 persons there is no  way there  clean is anywhere near mine  and thats my difference at the point of sale

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trade vet said:

Unless you are doing cheapies,if you skimp on valeting or any prep you will lose business.It was instilled in me when I worked on an open pitch when I was a boy that your stock had to look mint at all times,be off the button and smell nice.How often when you leave a stonechip on a bonnet thinking it will sell and it doesn’t.You then get it done and it sells quickly.I know a lot of punters don’t open the lid to inspect and listen before buying these days but for the time it takes,I think you have got to do it.

I dont agree with treating cars different based on price, someones £2500 in there eyes is there new car the same to someone spending £7500-£15000-£25000 if you want a sale regardless of the window price you should add value, 

In my eyes that is the definition of a used car sales person (very modern of me to use person)  

• Like 1

I had the same issue with valeters, they just never achieved the standard i expected and it felt like i would end up doing the job again, so when my lasses contract came to an end she started doing it for me and is now doing well as a mobile valeter. 

I think a proper clean car makes all the difference when a punter turns up, no matter what the price range,  the difference a really good valet makes to most cars when done properly always amazes me, even sheds look good!

And agree about staying clear of engine bays unless you do the proper preparation first and that takes time which most people do not seem to be willing to give these days.

10 hours ago, justina3 said:

I dont agree with treating cars different based on price, someones £2500 in there eyes is there new car the same to someone spending £7500-£15000-£25000 if you want a sale regardless of the window price you should add value, 

In my eyes that is the definition of a used car sales person (very modern of me to use person)  

Definitely agree. We spend a good morning on each car and machine polish each. Steam cleaned seats and new mats if necessary.

1 minute ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

New tailored mats from Ebay are the best £10 i spend on a car, That and the £1.50 fresh cotton air freshener i spray 5 min before they arrive He he

i have tried a few from there some where rubbish some just poor any chance of a link whom you find worthy of an order.

no you are right they are poor nothing quality at the £10 mark,  I just want that initial impression that the tailored mats give.............................6m down the line they will be ready to bin, I I use           e-car-mats

those cheap mats slide so you might be looking at a liability action if customer gets in the car and breaks their bleeding neck(said in my best alun sugar voice):D

keep some for photo sessions only;)

13 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

seeing as most underbonnets are 90?% plastic covers, wipe over with a damp cloth then 50% water 50% autosmart finish in a spray bottle on mist.is the safest way, punters never know its been cleaned .

Exactly what I was thinking, most billies don't even know how to remove the Covers ;)

Thanks for the input I think I will carry on leaving under the bonnet alone unless it's absolutely minging