Grantlfc81

Just been offered

This seems to happen a lot to us of late, we stand by the first deal and offer to find the customer a similar car at a better deal not to lose them, i have been cheeky once or twice and let them test drive the sold car once they see the prep and how well they drive, if they do go elsewhere they often come back.

Living in a small town it would only take one tip up telling a customer the engine is not right only to see the same car driving past them ten mins later wouldnt go down well.

13 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Over many years of dealing I’ve never not sold a car that I took a deposit for unless of course the customer changed their mind. 

First deposit, first served. 

However if a customer has really managed to beat me down on my price AND demanded extra work AND been extra fussy I would sell to Mr £8000 who not only offers a lot more for a lesser condition vehicle but seems much less fussy as a customer with which the OP can go on and do many future deals. 

If both customers were paying the same price I’d absolutely honour that deposit. 

In this particular case I’ll take the eight grand. 

If you’ve accepted a lesser offer that’s your choice, you take ownership or it and you should honour it. Otherwise what’s the point in accepting an offer and a deposit.

I’m really shocked, I would of never expected you NIk to not honour your word. You are saying to the world,  your deposit process cannot be trusted and you are prepared to waste a genuine customers time by not being an honourable business.

Do you realise what you are actually saying ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C B said:

If you fuck her over, you're no better than the customers that pull out of deals and try moving the goal posts once deposits and invoices have swapped hands. 

Bang on....

22 hours ago, Row said:

I would stand on, I think lies tend to come back and bite you.

Sometimes its the other way round as well.

When you go for punter A but you think punter B is better. But B turns out to be worse than A. Or vice versa.

Had that myself recently

Hi Simon, 

I know exactly what I am saying. 

Basically after YEARS OF BENDING OVER BACKWARDS for each and every customer there will be a time in the near future that (for the first time in my business’ history) I will be driven by the circumstances and by some customers personalities to do what’s better for ME and my children. 

After watching you for years to call customers words like pond-life and bottom feeders on this very forum and to dictate take-it-оr-leave-it terms to them I genuinely think my business is honourable ENOUGH. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Hi Simon, 

I know exactly what I am saying. 

Basically after YEARS OF BENDING OVER BACKWARDS for each and every customer there will be a time in the near future that (for the first time in my business’ history) I will be driven by the circumstances and by dome customers personalities to do what’s better for ME and my children. 

After watching you for years to call customers words like pond-life and bottom feeders on this very forum and to dictate take-it-оr-leave-it terms to them I genuinely think my business is honourable ENOUGH. 

Some customers are absolute scum, they are lowlifes. The point I am making is about my personal business integrity, whether I can be trusted and that is exactly how I sell my cars on TRUST. If you lower yourself through greed you cannot be trusted and that is exactly what you have announced. I'm being open honest and transparent as always 

We have sold our house (the one we live in) recently.

Currently in that pre-contract exchange period where you have a million things to do/dealing with solicitors etc. and you’re trying not to count your chickens  

The people that bought our house are mildly traumatic, but manageable and they offered just below the asking price.

We had an offer at the asking price too, but took the lower offer as we felt them to be in the best position for an easy(er) transaction. 

The place we’re buying is a probate sale and we had our fair offer accepted. 

The pont of all this waffle is (coincidentally, the agent we are using to sell, is actually also the same as the one selling our purchase) that the estate agent is baffled why we didn’t take the higher offer, and even more so by an even stronger later offer on ours.

I said to him: ‘but we’ve already agreed to sell it to Mr & Mrs X?’  ‘The deal is done!’

He says ‘so, I’ll sack em off -or words to that effect (he calls me, his client, ‘mate’ by the way)  

I expressed my displeasure and suggested he should think again, as a deal is a deal and statements like that worry me in that he would obviously do the same to us if someone wanted to gazzump our purchase.

He is late 20’s/early thirties. I’m sure he genuinely thinks we’re mad, and it sounds like some forum members may too, but it’s just how I was brought up and how I believe things should be.

Maybe that’s why I’m only comfortably off, not rolling in it on a yacht somewhere. 

I just can’t get my head round this thread,  especially that and the fact it’s in the general chat section. Or that some that I admire greatly can think differently.

I genuinely would never in good conscience, go back on my word or look to get out of an agreed deal.

Oh well, I guess it’s similar to the Brexit disparity.

Edited by NOACROSS

7 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

We have sold our house (the one we live in) recently.

Currently in that pre-contract exchange period where you have a million things to do/dealing with solicitors etc. and you’re trying not to count your chickens  

The people that bought our house are mildly traumatic, but manageable and they offered just below the asking price.

We had an offer at the asking price too, but took the lower offer as we felt them to be in the best position for an easy(er) transaction. 

The place we’re buying is a probate sale and we had our fair offer accepted. 

The pont of all this waffle is (coincidentally, the estate we are using to sell, is actually also the same as the one selling our purchase) that the estate agent is baffled why we didn’t take the higher offer, and even more so by an even stronger later offer on ours.

I said to him: ‘but we’ve already agreed to sell it to Mr & Mrs X?’  ‘The deal is done!’

He says ‘so, I’ll sack em off -or words to that effect (he calls me, his client, ‘mate’ by the way)  

I expressed my displeasure and suggested he should think again, as a deal is a deal and statements like that worry me in that he would obviously do the same to us if someone wanted to gazzump our purchase.

He is late 20’s/early thirties. I’m sure he genuinely thinks we’re mad, and it sounds like some forum members may too, but it’s just how I was brought up and how I believe things should be.

Maybe that’s why I’m only comfortably off, not rolling in it on a yacht somewhere. 

I just can’t get my head round this thread,  especially that and the fact it’s in the general chat section. Or that some that I admire greatly can think differently.

I genuinely would never in good conscience, go back on my word or look to get out of an agreed deal.

Oh well, I guess it’s similar to the Brexit disparity.

Exactly my point. You are honourable and a man of your word. As soon as you shred those morals, you simply cannot be trusted. To make excuses is just bollocks. 

To shake hands with a customer, to agree the terms of the contract and then feck them off through greed is utterly wrong and should be denounced.  End of.....

14 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Exactly my point. You are honourable and a man of your word. As soon as you shred those morals, you simply cannot be trusted. To make excuses is just bollocks. 

To shake hands with a customer, to agree the terms of the contract and then feck them off through greed is utterly wrong and should be denounced.  End of.....

Not really. 

WHilst there’s black and white there’s a bit of grey in the middle. 

If I took a deposit on a car I had for a while to someone I really didn’t want to sell to and someone came along an hour later wanting to give me more for the same car but seemed like less of a headache I would do what’s best for the business. 

With some people its all take, take, take. 

Just now, Rory RSC said:

Not really. 

WHilst there’s black and white there’s a bit of grey in the middle. 

If I took a deposit on a car I had for a while to someone I really didn’t want to sell to and someone came along an hour later wanting to give me more for the same car but seemed like less of a headache I would do what’s best for the business. 

With some people its all take, take, take. 

correct

I disagree. If you’ve shaken hands you stand by your word. To back down is dishonourable. 

If however, they prove to be major grief prior to paying the balance then advive them youve chosen not to do business with them.

But, to make the decision welsh out solely on greed is wrong. 

I agree with Simon you've done the deal move on and concentrate on buying the next car and get your missed £500 back on that one. Take it on the chin and learn from it!