Scooby who

Used Cars Lancs Ltd

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

https://used-carslancs.co.uk/about

I love this staff photo on the about page. Who knows what tech company or a university this was and the two cars in the background look photoshopped.

35 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

More like a photo taken after a speed dating gathering . Almost 50/50 gender divide. With a prize of two new cars for the first couple who get hitched :-)) 

FYI - It’s actually it’s an old team photo from an online European car auction site called CarsOnTheWeb. If you compare the background with the background in this video (at 24 secs) you’ll see they’re the same.

HTH

And yes, I’ve got way too much time on my hands :rolleyes:

Edited by Billy Joe Public
Forgot link

i know a trader who paid for a brand new commercial vehicle to be delivered from belgium

hes still waiting 15 years later

greed always gets the greedy

37 minutes ago, Billy Joe Public said:

FYI - It’s actually it’s an old team photo from an online European car auction site called CarsOnTheWeb. If you compare the background with the background in this video (at 24 secs) you’ll see they’re the same.

HTH

Thank you for that.

3 hours ago, Stalker said:

We live in a world where people are so greedy, they will fall for this kind of trickery nowadays.

Not greedy at all! Me and my grandad spent a lot of time researching said company to make sure. They've done a bloody good job at what they've done! Yes it was stupid to pay without viewing but before I paid all I was doing was emailing them questions and everything seemed legit! For a young woman who's a student it's pretty shit for me right now. Also a retired woman who spent nearly 10 grand think how she must be feeling!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SLL28 said:

Not greedy at all! Me and my grandad spent a lot of time researching said company to make sure. They've done a bloody good job at what they've done! Yes it was stupid to pay without viewing but before I paid all I was doing was emailing them questions and everything seemed legit! For a young woman who's a student it's pretty shit for me right now. Also a retired woman who spent nearly 10 grand think how she must be feeling!

So you didn’t speak to them at all,unbelievable.I am sorry I have to say, the bottom line is,welcome to the non digital real world.

15 minutes ago, SLL28 said:

hi i just read that there was no 

There is no contact number (alarm bell)

You cant view the cars first (siren)

You must pay by bank transfer not credit card (fog horn)

my bank santander are now doing courses for customers to be aware of online scams,barclays have been taking half page adverts in the sunday times for months doing the same,can you please tell me as a student what you are studying as then i can tell my bank more needs to be done to educate both ends of the population so others like yourself are given further help in looking for dangerous scamming offers

10 minutes ago, boring dave said:

hi i just read that there was no 

There is no contact number (alarm bell)

You cant view the cars first (siren)

You must pay by bank transfer not credit card (fog horn)

my bank santander are now doing courses for customers to be aware of online scams,barclays have been taking half page adverts in the sunday times for months doing the same,can you please tell me as a student what you are studying as then i can tell my bank more needs to be done to educate both ends of the population so others like yourself are given further help in looking for dangerous scamming offers

There's no need to patronise, this can happen to anyone no matter how educated they are. Like I said me and my grandad spent a lot of time actually looking up the company, reverse imaging the picture on the advert etc But if you must know I'm studying criminology and criminal justice with psychology. I've done modules on cyber crime and nothing like this came up. The email address and website were not suspicious or what I've been told to look out for. Also no warning message came when transferring money so as far as I was aware this was all above board! So please just have some compassion for the people sucked in by this, thanks!

14 minutes ago, trade vet said:

So you didn’t speak to them at all,unbelievable.I am sorry I have to say, the bottom line is,welcome to the non digital real world.

20 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Also what you are doing is victim shaming, like I said some compassion wouldn't go a miss :)

33 minutes ago, SLL28 said:

There's no need to patronise, this can happen to anyone no matter how educated they are. Like I said me and my grandad spent a lot of time actually looking up the company, reverse imaging the picture on the advert etc But if you must know I'm studying criminology and criminal justice with psychology. I've done modules on cyber crime and nothing like this came up. The email address and website were not suspicious or what I've been told to look out for. Also no warning message came when transferring money so as far as I was aware this was all above board! So please just have some compassion for the people sucked in by this, thanks!

Also what you are doing is victim shaming, like I said some compassion wouldn't go a miss :)

What’s victim shaming,is that Facebook language.I have a lot of compassion for the retired lady who funded you.I will not say any more,good luck.

Was it naive? Yes.  Stupid? Probably.

Do I feel sorry for you and, more so your grandparent? Yes, I do if I’m honest.

I also hope (I think there is none though) that these low-life creeps get caught and prosecuted. 

Good on you for coming on this platform and sharing and I hope it is the last big lesson in life you will learn the hard way. 

For balance, I don’t think TV was patronising you. He was simply expressing his incredulity. 

1 hour ago, SLL28 said:

2 hours ago, SLL28 said:

Sorry to hear that you are a victim of fraud. 

My my father was a fraud investigator for chartered trust/Black Horse for 15 years, and 99% of fraud cases revolved around deals too got to be true. 

You need to persist with this, it sounds as though you might not be the only one. Collectively you will have more clout.

However I suspect the money will be long gone.

I reckon there will be more of this happening, due to the way customers wish to remote purchase. 

3 hours ago, Billy Joe Public said:

HTH

Wow the comparison between both, really is uncanny.

Both are taken from the interior of buildings with human beings inside. Both have windows and look to be filled with natural light and air.

Definitely have to be the same place!

Good detective work Billy

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Was it naive? Yes.  Stupid? Probably.

Do I feel sorry for you and, more so your grandparent? Yes, I do if I’m honest.

I also hope (I think there is none though) that these low-life creeps get caught and prosecuted. 

Good on you for coming on this platform and sharing and I hope it is the last big lesson in life you will learn the hard way. 

For balance, I don’t think TV was patronising you. He was simply expressing his incredulity. 

Sorry, I'm just really frustrated with the all thing right now so I'm a bit snappy! I've just received another email from them, saying the shipping procedure has been started. I've told them not to bothered as I've changed my mind but I doubt that'll do anything

1 minute ago, SLL28 said:

Sorry, I'm just really frustrated with the all thing right now so I'm a bit snappy! I've just received another email from them, saying the shipping procedure has been started. I've told them not to bothered as I've changed my mind but I doubt that'll do anything

SLL firstly sorry if I assumed you were a guy.

Secondly I feel your pain. We have all lost out financially in some way in life, whether it be with a car, a divorce, or whatever.

I could always have been worse, Imagine if you have borrowed £10,000 to send to these crooks and still had to pay it back with interest over the next 5 years.

Move on, forget it and let it make you stronger. With some luck your bank might get it back for you.

Just now, Scooby who said:

Secondly I feel your pain. We have all lost out financially in some way in life, whether it be with a car, a divorce, or whatever.

I could always have been worse, Imagine if you have borrowed £10,000 to send to these crooks and still had to pay it back with interest over the next 5 years.

Move on, forget it and let it make you stronger. With some luck your bank might get it back for you.

It's okay lol Yeah I know I'm just hoping the bank can sort it because that was the last money I had! Mind you the bank made me feel like i was in the wrong when those con artists are walking around with my money in their pockets! Bloody crooks! 

I'm glad I've been able to shed some light on the "company" for everyone though, so nobody else gets scammed!

7 minutes ago, SLL28 said:

Which bank are you with?

I assume you have contacted them.

If they were already aware that the account you transferred the money to was linked to a fraud at the time you made the transfer then you may get your money back from them.

17 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Which bank are you with?

I assume you have contacted them.

If they were already aware that the account you transferred the money to was linked to a fraud at the time you made the transfer then you may get your money back from them.

I'm with Halifax, I've received another email from the "company" that I will be refunded tomorrow but that's very unlikely. They didn't seem to know anything at my bank and another lady transferred to a different bank.

22 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

It's okay lol Yeah I know I'm just hoping the bank can sort it because that was the last money I had! Mind you the bank made me feel like i was in the wrong when those con artists are walking around with my money in their pockets! Bloody crooks! 

I'm glad I've been able to shed some light on the "company" for everyone though, so nobody else gets scammed!

Just now, SLL28 said:

I'm with Halifax, I've received another email from the "company" that I will be refunded tomorrow but that's very unlikely. They didn't seem to know anything at my bank and another lady transferred to a different bank.

When did you pay them? 

1 minute ago, Stalker said:

When did you pay them? 

Friday afternoon about 4pm

Well I did get a reply from my enquiry about going to view the cars prior to buying. They make it sound like they sell primarily to dealers, almost as if they are trying to put me off buying. Wonder if they actually rip dealers off too? Or are they aware peopl are on to them? This is the reply:

Hello ,

We win vehicles at auctions all over the country.
The cars have been taken over by the government or by financial institutions or banks from people with financial woes and cannot pay for the loans that they made.
Local pick-up is not available.
Most of the vehicles are stored at the parking lots of banks and financial institutions.
They don't have showrooms or specialized people in order to offer this service.
They are pressing us to take the car from there as soon as possible.
In order to avoid unnecessary shipping costs, we prefer to find a buyer(dealer) and deliver the car directly to his address.
Private buyers can buy from us if they accept this procedure. It is unusual for purchasing a car in this manner;
most of the private buyers want to see and test the vehicle and we do not have those options so we are mostly dealing with car dealers

Caroline Anne Jeavons

Used Cars Lancs
www.used-carslancs.co.uk
Company Number: 06939617
VAT Number: GB 157426008

I don’t know a dealer that would believe a single word of that jibberish. 

The 419 scam has been around for years, a few years back we had our Autotrader site hacked,  Most leads we have ever had!  

Amazed us that people were turning up to look at £3000 X5 BMW’s.  As for the cars being HPI clear, the pictures are lifted from e-bay, Autotrader etc and are often private sales therefore less likely to be directly financed.  

I feel sorry for anyone that falls for any scan but alarm bells should always ring when payment is requested by Western Union.

3 minutes ago, Contracts said:

The 419 scam has been around for years, a few years back we had our Autotrader site hacked,  Most leads we have ever had!  

Amazed us that people were turning up to look at £3000 X5 BMW’s.  As for the cars being HPI clear, the pictures are lifted from e-bay, Autotrader etc and are often private sales therefore less likely to be directly financed.  

I feel sorry for anyone that falls for any scan but alarm bells should always ring when payment is requested by Western Union.

It was to a UK bank account, unfortunately I fell for it! Lesson learned! They contacted me today about shipping and I told them to cancel and refund me and they said their "financial department" will do it tomorrow. I feel like they know people are on to them, my bank said their account would be blocked because I've reported them for fraud so even if they did go to refund me it would have to be from another account

53 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Well I did get a reply from my enquiry about going to view the cars prior to buying. They make it sound like they sell primarily to dealers, almost as if they are trying to put me off buying. Wonder if they actually rip dealers off too? Or are they aware peopl are on to them? This is the reply:

Hello ,

The cars have been taken over by the government or by financial institutions or banks from people with financial woes and cannot pay for the loans that they made.
Most of the vehicles are stored at the parking lots of banks and financial institutions.
In order to avoid unnecessary shipping costs, we prefer to find a buyer(dealer) and deliver the car directly to his address.
Private buyers can buy from us if they accept this procedure. It is unusual for purchasing a car in this manner;
most of the private buyers want to see and test the vehicle and we do not have those options so we are mostly dealing with car dealers

Caroline Anne Jeavons

Used Cars Lancs
www.used-carslancs.co.uk

I hope no dealers fall for this scam as it'll be a lot worse for them spending thousands on multiple cars at a time!

6 hours ago, SLL28 said:

There's no need to patronise,

i wasn't

as i said there's banks out there doing their stuff to stop this

i suggest you kindly ask your banker to consider offering vulnerable members of their customers this service too

some banks now stop large transactions from private  older customers if they feel they are being targeted,i thinks its hsbc but not  sure,the customer gets a text message

its a brilliant way to make customers think twice

i must be old i got a bank message today too

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hello ,

Caroline Anne Jeavons

Used Cars Lancs
www.used-carslancs.co.uk

This email is just screaming out that it is a scam, the language, spellings and general feel is just so terrible! 

'taken over', 'parking lots', 'specialized' and 'shipping costs', these terms are just never used in connection with used cars and you don't really need to be a car dealer to hear the alarm bells ringing! 

I'm sorry people lost money but the warning signs were there.