Sign in to follow this  
TJZ

WBAC / TCBG / EVANS, Why dont they buy from trade?

Hi all,

Ive been a lurker on this forum for a while, thought id sign up and join in with the fun.

I started off as a trader from home a while back, this slowly turned in to supplying cars to local main dealers, I deal in cars up to 3 years old, low mileage normally still in warranty etc 

I know a lot of you will think 'why dont you just retail if you have good margin to sell at trade in prices' but I like the non hassle of trade to trade sales, no warranty, no tyre kickers, fast payment etc 

Recently I noticed quite good quotes from TCBG & Evans Halshaw so I thought if I can get rid of a few down that channel, even better for my business, however never having dealt with these companies before I soon realised they have company policies of not buying cars from trade / companies at all.

Just after some opinions to why this is? I don't understand it myself.  

Cheers

They must buy from companies as weve had a few ex company cars from UKCGR.

they don’t buy if the v5 is in trade or not in the owners name though. Probably because they don’t want dealers passing on all their shite to them.

Edited by Lakeside
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, TJZ said:

Hi all,

Ive been a lurker on this forum for a while, thought id sign up and join in with the fun.

I started off as a trader from home a while back, this slowly turned in to supplying cars to local main dealers, I deal in cars up to 3 years old, low mileage normally still in warranty etc 

I know a lot of you will think 'why dont you just retail if you have good margin to sell at trade in prices' but I like the non hassle of trade to trade sales, no warranty, no tyre kickers, fast payment etc 

Recently I noticed quite good quotes from TCBG & Evans Halshaw so I thought if I can get rid of a few down that channel, even better for my business, however never having dealt with these companies before I soon realised they have company policies of not buying cars from trade / companies at all.

Just after some opinions to why this is? I don't understand it myself.  

Cheers

Welcome.

As a trader, if you had a big old barge with a £3k gearbox problem and you had an 80% chance the assessor wasn't going to pick it up when appraising it, wouldn't you try and palm it off on them?

That's why.

• Like 1

maybe because they know that if a trader is door knocking and buying cars under 3 years old its a trade to trade business so if all these cars have had a haircut its harder to reject  /take civil action

plus who are you ? you could be selling cloned cars

would i buy of a third party if i was wbac 

nap

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Welcome.

As a trader, if you had a big old barge with a £3k gearbox problem and you had an 80% chance the assessor wasn't going to pick it up when appraising it, wouldn't you try and palm it off on them?

That's why.

Yeah this was my assumption, but I dont see how a private seller would be any different trying to get rid of their nightmares?

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

maybe because they know that if a trader is door knocking and buying cars under 3 years old its a trade to trade business so if all these cars have had a haircut its harder to reject  /take civil action

plus who are you ? you could be selling cloned cars

would i buy of a third party if i was wbac 

nap

:)

Surely they have more comeback from myself as a limited, vat registered company than joe bloggs?

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

10 minutes ago, TJZ said:

Yeah this was my assumption, but I dont see how a private seller would be any different trying to get rid of their nightmares?

Joe public usually have minor niggles with a car, or have money problems, or want a quick sale so they can buy a house or whatever else they need the money for.

Traders selling to a car buying service will 99% of the time be offloading shite. 

3 minutes ago, TJZ said:

Surely they have more comeback from myself as a limited, vat registered company than joe bloggs?

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Comebacks? What could they do other than refuse to deal with you again for unloading shite on them?

I also think it’s the perceived security of ownership, where the V5 is showing the sellers details and I.D. etc can be checked. 

If a trader rocks up with the green slip, then ownership could be in doubt  

(I know V5 isn’t proof of ownership but you can maybe see their stance.)

It has to be in your name , see why really cant you if you think about it .

came to me and asked out the blue to sell a car not in your name and i'd ask all sorts of questions before I'd pay money out . At that point you'd get asked to leave as its to much risk .

WBAC are the same , keep it simple is their thinking , I actually think it has to be in your name for around 6 months too if I'm not mistaken to stop the register in a name and chuck crap at them . 

Edited by David Horgan

Interestingly (and I am not suggesting anything here) there is nothing to stop you from entering a much earlier date of ownership so you can have a trade car in stock 2 months then "sell it to yourself" online and put a date from months prior. 

They only way WBAC might know anything is amiss is if the car came from one of their own BCA sales :-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Interestingly (and I am not suggesting anything here) there is nothing to stop you from entering a much earlier date of ownership so you can have a trade car in stock 2 months then "sell it to yourself" online and put a date from months prior. 

They only way WBAC might know anything is amiss is if the car came from one of their own BCA sales :-)

Of which joe public can buy from at bca...

How far could you backdate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

Over 6 months which is all you need for WBAC purposes 

Back dating is  do-able , I've got rid twice to WBAC and once to Evans (who were spot on by the way ) , squeeky bum time while you're sat in the office and they scrutinize everything!

The one to Evans was a UK select funnily enough !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

How far could you backdate?

Usually to the date it was put ‘in trade’.

On 12/02/2019 at 5:21 PM, David Horgan said:

It has to be in your name , see why really cant you if you think about it .

came to me and asked out the blue to sell a car not in your name and i'd ask all sorts of questions before I'd pay money out . At that point you'd get asked to leave as its to much risk .

WBAC are the same , keep it simple is their thinking , I actually think it has to be in your name for around 6 months too if I'm not mistaken to stop the register in a name and chuck crap at them . 

You’ve knocked the nail on the head. Also I know Arnold Clark wouldn’t take a p/x if it’s not in a customer’s name. That’s good enough for me - the sort of punter who phones you as a private punter with a spurious name on the log book is normally some sort of plastic trader trying to offload their shite & can’t string together a coherent story.

• Like 1

I can assure you that you can backdate further than the 'in trade' date , it's only a minimum wage bod at Swansea doing 'data entry' when they receive the V5 after all . Unless anything has changed recently . The Focus that came out of BCA/UK select was purchased Aug , backdated to Jan in my name and sold to Evans in Sep , for money back (Knackered injectors , smoke from cold) . I guess that was my one opportunity gone !

How do you manage regarding the gap in road tax though if you backdate a V5 date?

Let's just say (hypothetically of course) :) if I've had a car in stock since October which I can't shift, the car was bought at the block in October, so it's been 'in trade' and untaxed since then. I then register it in my name today with the change of keeper date being October 2018. As it's in my name, I'll need to tax it, so surely if I take the V5 into the Post Office or tax it online, there will be a big question mark over why the car hasn't been taxed since October 2018?

I've done a bit of googling and a website that explains road tax shows the example of someone trying to tax a car where there is a gap between tax expiry and the new tax and it states that DVLA enforcement may well be in touch to ask about the gap.

Also, if taxing at the Post Office, it's likely the counter staff will ask why there's such a gap between the date I put on the V5 and the date I'm sending off the V5

Could I get away with saying I've decided to 'buy' one of my own sale cars for my own use? Surely, they'd say in which case the V5 keeper change date should be today rather than last October?

I think youre confusing the issue. The purpose of 'owning'  the car for 6 months is to sell it to WBAC. They wont investigate gaps in when it was or wasnt taxed.THE END.

I just thought that once you register a car in your name privately, the DVLA may get on your case as to why it wasn't taxed before? I'm sure that WBAC won't care if its taxed or not but the DVLA might be on the case.