Sign in to follow this  
Pip

What would you do Toyota Yaris

I bought a Yaris brand new back in 2005 for the wife. This has and still is the most reliable little runabout I’ve had. It’s never had any thing go wrong and it still has everything working properly.

Now around 2 years ago it threw up the eml light but still runs perfectly and still flew through the last two mots. The code is showing cam shaft sensor. P0146; it use to be intermittent on for a day,off for 3 and so on. Now it is on permanent and when I reset it, it comes back on after 1 mile or less. The mot is due soon and I’m wondering if to reset it before mot to get it through or spend a fortune just to extinguish eml. As I said it runs perfectly and passes emissions test every year. I’m not going to sell this as it’s just an old runaround. It’s cheaper to go around the south to auctions in it rather than in any stock vehicles.

just feel reluctant spending on my own and the sensor alone isn’t cheap. Shame as it’s not even on 60k yet. 

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Are you sure the chain hasn’t stretched. I had this on one a while back. 

That’s what I thought but it runs as it did when new and engine is quiet. Not rattling like the Corsas do.

2 minutes ago, Pip said:

That’s what I thought but it runs as it did when new and engine is quiet. Not rattling like the Corsas do.

Only has to stretch a little to upset the timings.

Try sticking a new sensor on it, if that doesn't fix it..

I can't see how changing a Cam sensor is going to cost you more than £20 ??????????????????????????

If it still pops the code after that then yeah, may be chain stretched, but that is more a Vauxhall and Nissan thing rather than Toyota ;) 

Edit, Just priced Cam Sensor, 3 options, £17.00, £22.00 or £96.00, still hardly a fortune though, but i can't be more specific without Reg / VIN

Must be the sensor. For this one it’s about £100 not too bad if it solves it. Just looked again all oil is like the day it went in, all waters are fine and just driven it 20 miles to the block and drives perfectly. Ticks over so quiet but will fail mot on eml

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

I can't see how changing a Cam sensor is going to cost you more than £20 ??????????????????????????

If it still pops the code after that then yeah, may be chain stretched, but that is more a Vauxhall and Nissan thing rather than Toyota ;) 

Edit, Just priced Cam Sensor, 3 options, £17.00, £22.00 or £96.00, still hardly a fortune though, but i can't be more specific without Reg / VIN

If its Toyota 9091905043 theres a VEMO one (OE) for £18.59 off Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vemo-Ignition-Switch-V70-1972-Gl%C3%BChanlagen/dp/B07C9PSHHT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548935801&sr=8-1&keywords=V70-72-0251

Edited by twerp

if it is due to chain lash and the sensor  showed is the correct one then there is no point changing it as they work or they dont

however

they work by the whats called hall effect so if you broke off the fixing lugg and twisted it in its hole ever so slightly and fastened it up with a washer then the hall would be slightly out to the chain and thus the crank sensor to cam sensor would be more in time and the light would stay off

just sayin..............

• Like 1

You won't know if it's Chain Slack until you try a Sensor, especially as it isn't rattling.

Like I said, slack is not such an issue on these as it is on Micras and Corsas etc.

Shame yours is the dear one outta the 3, that VEMO is the wrong one if yours is the £97 one ;)

I dunno about you guys, but i don't fit cheapo sensors these days, too much Chinesium shit about, fair enough if it's an older car I'm not suggesting Main Stealers, but get a decent OEM one like a Bosch, Hitachi, Nippondenso, (I dunno who makes 'em for Toyota), but you get the picture ;) 

I got a lot of Bosch stuff repacked as 'Fuel Parts UK' you might be surprised.

/\ /\ /\ LIKE

2 hours ago, twerp said:

I got a lot of Bosch stuff repacked as 'Fuel Parts UK' you might be surprised.

I don't think I would, I had a set of "Genuine" Motorcraft Plugs last year, misfired outta the box, all the Porcelains were loose in the metal body, looked good, turned out to be Chinesium Fakes !! Same story with Mintex Discs and Pads years ago, guy from Mintex actually contacted me about them !!

Buy from trusted source, Fleabay Car Parts is a lottery nowadays, a bloody Chinese Lottery :(

Swings and roundabouts. I have had Exedy and Valeo clutches in Japan Parts boxes  , FAE sensors also Valet and Valeo thermostats when ordering the cheapest unknown,  Lemforder power steering pump reboxed by Febi , Mercedes stamped parts from Febi etc

Helps if your are not in a hurry I admit in case you get cheap tat occasionally. 

Edited by twerp

19 hours ago, twerp said:

Swings and roundabouts. I have had Exedy and Valeo clutches in Japan Parts boxes  , FAE sensors also Valet and Valeo thermostats when ordering the cheapest unknown,  Lemforder power steering pump reboxed by Febi , Mercedes stamped parts from Febi etc

Helps if your are not in a hurry I admit in case you get cheap tat occasionally. 

I always use Febi or Lemfoerder on my own MB's, they are the OEM for MB.

Get a "First Line" Ball Joint for a Mercedes from your factor and compare it to the Febi / Lemfoerder Equivalent, you can see and feel the difference, that is why we (myself and a local fleet owner mate) no longer use "First Line" ....................

Most of my Customers, and my own Cars will clap them out before the next MOT, yeah ok the factor will give us another, but you soon get tired of doing the same job several times over !! 

All the OEM parts I've ever fitted does stellar mileage, even the local 'Prawn' big Sprinters that get hammered and abused between Kyle of Lochalsh and Manchester every night of the week don't bugger up Febi Swivels, the First Line stuff was frightening, monthly vehicle checks and they would be fucked every other one, it was that that stopped us using them !!

Come on, First Line are a different category altogether !

I wouldn't take them if they were free.

Anyway, my point is don't assume the cheapest sensors are always Chinesium :)

Edited by twerp

Have had Yaris's with the same fault and sadly turned out to be be timing chain stretch even though no symptoms except the EML on. 

/\ /\ /\ Yeah, but surely you agree with me that you gotta try a Cam Sensor first before you either bite the bullet and do a chain job, or sell it cheapo SOR .....................

One could always borrow a Cam Sensor off another Yaris from a friendly Trader / Mechanic workshop if you don't want to buy a £96 Sensor ;)

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 9:02 AM, Dave2302 said:

/\ /\ /\ Yeah, but surely you agree with me that you gotta try a Cam Sensor first before you either bite the bullet and do a chain job, or sell it cheapo SOR .....................

One could always borrow a Cam Sensor off another Yaris from a friendly Trader / Mechanic workshop if you don't want to buy a £96 Sensor ;)

Oh absolutely, it needs to be ruled out before chains are changed!

We find the Yaris great little things but have had them EML on due to chain stretch but still as quiet as a church mouse, then the other ones sounding like a threshing machine on full pelt at idle but no EML on! :blink:

Edited by KSMOTORS

19 hours ago, KSMOTORS said:

Oh absolutely, it needs to be ruled out before chains are changed!

We find the Yaris great little things but have had them EML on due to chain stretch but still as quiet as a church mouse, then on the other hand sounding like a threshing machine on full pelt at idle but no EML on! :blink:

Yeah, that makes sense to me lol ;)

On 31/01/2019 at 8:09 AM, Pip said:

Now around 2 years ago it threw up the eml light but still runs perfectly and still flew through the last two mots. The code is showing cam shaft sensor. P0146;

On 31/01/2019 at 7:36 PM, have a word with the wife said:

i would just change the 2nd lambda sensor ;)

bump

p0146:rolleyes: ?

14yr old Yaris that he’s keeping? All I’d do is clear the code as I pulled up to the MOT station.

I believe, (correct me if I'm wrong and I'll go look at the current Testers Manual), but an "Engine" Malfunction Lamp is only an MOT fail if the Emissions are also high, so it would Fail on "Emissions", and Advise "EML on" but a lot of Testers are a bit confused by all these lamps ..................

SRS / ABS / Traction / TPMS / Brake Wear, Brake Fluid Level etc etc ................ Yes, definite fail .................. Safety Items !!

EML is more complex than that, could be a minor sensor that has no bearing on Emissions or Safety ;)

HTH