Sign in to follow this  
Melv

Manheim surecheck help please

Hi all, 

I have recently purchased a fiat 500 from manheim car auctions, it had a surecheck report saying the car was fine, I paid for it a few days after, got the keys and docs realised that it was an ex rental car! FML which they didn’t disclose, but when I started the car I noticed a grinding noise when the clutch was released and when driving it around their yard the car made some awful noises, I suspect a gearbox and clutch issue, probably due to the fact it was ex rental and has had a million different drivers. I didn’t tale the car and gave they keys and docs back to reception, who told me to contact surecheck, having done so they tell me that it wouldn’t be covered as it’s only a static check they do on the gearbox, this is pathetic as you cannot test a gearbox/clutch properly static,  it regardless the noise is there when it is static!!!!!!! They admit the car has an issue when driving but not static, which I know is rubbish. I have wrote to them and they are still rejecting a refund, the only thing I’ve been offered is a goodwill gesture of 3 months lower indemnity rates haha, any ideas how I could fight this without getting legal

thanks 

11 minutes ago, Melv said:

Hi all, 

I have recently purchased a fiat 500 from manheim car auctions, it had a surecheck report saying the car was fine, I paid for it a few days after, got the keys and docs realised that it was an ex rental car! FML which they didn’t disclose, but when I started the car I noticed a grinding noise when the clutch was released and when driving it around their yard the car made some awful noises, I suspect a gearbox and clutch issue, probably due to the fact it was ex rental and has had a million different drivers. I didn’t tale the car and gave they keys and docs back to reception, who told me to contact surecheck, having done so they tell me that it wouldn’t be covered as it’s only a static check they do on the gearbox, this is pathetic as you cannot test a gearbox/clutch properly static,  it regardless the noise is there when it is static!!!!!!! They admit the car has an issue when driving but not static, which I know is rubbish. I have wrote to them and they are still rejecting a refund, the only thing I’ve been offered is a goodwill gesture of 3 months lower indemnity rates haha, any ideas how I could fight this without getting legal

thanks 

Ashtrays on a motorbike, chocolate fireguards and then you have surecheck. All utterly useless. Even by motor trade standards a truly deceitful product.

Anyway, all unimportant, anyone fancy a survey?

A little intro wouldn't have gone a miss!

You're on stony ground here imo. The surecheck report just states whether the car engages in 1st and reverse gear, when the car is static. Which it does, so you say. It doesn't relate to the clutch or any noise from the box, unlike BCA's which does refer to the clutch itself.

Whether you agree with the criteria on the surecheck and how they conduct it is academic, they do what they do and that's it.

You did the right thing by not taking it and leaving it there, I'd say this will likely hinge on how much you buy from them, whether you have a good standing account with them etc. I'd say you'd have little joy taking them to court as they have probably not done much wrong. 

Hi Melv

I think you need to focus on the description.Ask to listen to the tape and try and get a copy of the catalogue.If it was a direct ex daily rental car,that is material to the description.There have been cases lately where dealers have been heavily fined for not disclosing about ex daily rental cars.Good Luck.

17 minutes ago, sparky said:

Ashtrays on a motorbike, chocolate fireguards and then you have surecheck. All utterly useless. Even by motor trade standards a truly deceitful product.

Anyway, all unimportant, anyone fancy a survey?

Hahahaha

On the subject of surecheck, it's true. As BHM would say, you couldn't trust them to describe a lump of coal accurately.

I've had an Audi A4 recently with "engine runs with a misfire" which seemed to fix itself with 250 miles of driving and a Mercedes with "engine doesn't operate as intended" which has to be the vaguest fucking description known to man. It may as well say " the assessor didn't really know what he was doing but just in case, we think the engine is broken"

8 hours ago, sparky said:

Even by motor trade standards a truly deceitful product.

Abso-bloody-lutely!

Bronze & silver certainly aren’t worth a toss. Read what they ACTUALLY cover & it’s a dismally short & pathetic list and these crooks will simply hide behind ‘the static test’ statement.

8 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Melv

I think you need to focus on the description.Ask to listen to the tape and try and get a copy of the catalogue.If it was a direct ex daily rental car,that is material to the description.There have been cases lately where dealers have been heavily fined for not disclosing about ex daily rental cars.Good Luck.

The parasites will take another £25 for this privilege. He’s better off putting it towards his repair bill!

if you read the terms and conditions for the Surecheck ( no one does) you really have not got a chance in hell, Its worded  to protect them at all times, Its going to be legal and binding to, I doubt anything legal from you would change things, 

Melv

Can we have a reply and more info please.Daily Rental Company name and confirmation it was direct from them etc.You May have to go legal but it could be worth your while.

If I could sign a disclaimer to say I wont pay surecheck charges and I won't ever claim for it then I would.

Thing that pisses me off on the odd occasion I do claim is how long it takes to actually get paid, how many times I chase up and how many times I have to speak to Daz or Tony ffs.....

I don't buy many from Manheim admittedly but on the odd occasion I have claimed, never had an issue, including a gearbox, door speaker and clutch/flywheel. 

Am I the lucky one? 

1 hour ago, DHill said:

I don't buy many from Manheim admittedly but on the odd occasion I have claimed, never had an issue, including a gearbox, door speaker and clutch/flywheel. 

Am I the lucky one? 

maybe because you get noddy with the big hat and bother boots to sort them out?:lol:

this check is probably the worst yet

IMG_2215_zpsd50mmpkx.jpg

Edited by andymc1973

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

this check is probably the worst yet

IMG_2215_zpsd50mmpkx.jpg

At least the lights work.

6 minutes ago, BHM said:

Are you back now from hols, I hear Grimsby doesn't have any pollution.......  :lol: 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

10 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Melv didnt last long :rolleyes:

Sounds easy doesn't it. Buy a car from auction and save piles of cash!

Who needs greedy car dealers?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Melv didnt last long :rolleyes:

Found out he had to fix an auction car probably 

Sounds easy doesn't it , buy from auction and sell for huge profits , retire to the sun :lol:

Back to the daily job and a safe wage no doubt , 

• Like 1

:lol:

There was me thinking we were all contributing from our phones whilst in the Algarve waiting for a tee time... What could go wrong?

You buy online, get it delivered to the pet spanner/mot lads who just happen to be opposite the Tesco valet lads, advertise it with images from the auction house and arrange to meet the billy with cash in the arrivals hall at the airport.. 

What could possible go wrong..

Oh yeah, its hard to pass through security and customs these days with a decent wad of cash :lol:... Fiat 500 ... I started to smirk right there..

NEXT

it had a surecheck report saying the car was fine, ............i stopped reading at that point.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BHM said:

and I bought it, 2007 Golf GTI with 78k on, £1700 plus the bit, seems ok, needs a lot of paint but drives well enough

I buy 90% online now BIN nationally. I then sell BIN to the Billy nationally. 

I never collect, always pay for delivery. 

12 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

and I bought it, 2007 Golf GTI with 78k on, £1700 plus the bit, seems ok, needs a lot of paint but drives well enough

Cheap enough at that money. I’d give you the no. of my painter but he’d probably make it look worse. 

13 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

Is that cheap ? We have taken in a 07 gttdi 115k ,needs £250 paint and apparently an injector harness ( causes it to chuck it after 20 mins driving ),stands £900 but would take less.We advertised it with an honest description for £1500 and got no response !