Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

Expected to see thread about No Brexit Deal

We don't build our own Cars any more so we'll still have MB's :D and others

10 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Yes, and don't forget the halcyon days of British Leyland! They really put the great in britain?

Edited by met

:lol: 

Yes, couldn't agree more,

Austin, Morris, MG, Rover, etc were all killed of due to the British Leyland Debacle, what a fuckin' disaster that was, I worked on and bought and sold loads of them back then, and cannot remember one single Car coming out of there that was any good ;)

Dagenham was however producing some of the best Fords ever, and Luton produced decent Vauxhall's way back in the day, not so any more, all downsized and outsourced !!

UK is fucked, but it still doesn't affect those of us who are clued up, and those of us who were more clued up way back saw the writing on the wall and all fucked off to USA, UAE, Aussie etc etc while they could, not so easy nowadays.

I didn't see / didn't wanna see that writing, and ended up doing the next best thing, but yeah, another 20 years and this little Hamlet will be fucked, it is just starting already, but by then I'll be approaching 80 and not give a shit !!

When Mels 86 yr old Mum passes away we are now seriously thinking of fucking off and living on a small Caribbean Island :D

34 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

"1,722,698 brand new cars made in British factories throughout 2016. "

" In 2017, the country built 1.67 million of them. "

anyone else thinks there is a conspiracy theory going on here, All the main players UK and EU plotting  the final outcome...........................  as in we are not leaving

I said June 17 when this all kicked of and we had the result. We were never going to leave

Edited by Blenheim Car Sales

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

"1,722,698 brand new cars made in British factories throughout 2016. "

" In 2017, the country built 1.67 million of them. "

Yes, and most of those are "Foreign Cars" or now owned by foreign companies, there was almost double that number registered in UK in 2017 !!

Of course we still build a few of our own Cars, but the point is still valid, out of all the original factories we had, large and small Mfrs there are very few left, instead for example we have the likes of Toyota Factories.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Screenman said:

We got Morgan.

My Dad loves Morgan's he has had several wooden cars and a friend of mine is one of the tour guides at the Morgan factory - I am in Worcester.

46 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Yes, and most of those are "Foreign Cars" or now owned by foreign companies, there was almost double that number registered in UK in 2017 !!

Of course we still build a few of our own Cars, but the point is still valid, out of all the original factories we had, large and small Mfrs there are very few left, instead for example we have the likes of Toyota Factories.

To be fair Ford and Vauxhall were foreign back then but I get your point.

1 hour ago, Screenman said:

We got Morgan.

Until the Chinese copy it?

I still don't understand exactly what we are going to sell to the Asian market that they can't make themselves cheaper and quicker? It's my understanding that we only make world class HiFi and F1 components, which is great if you live around Oxfordshire, but I can't see that feeding the nation?

Thatcher went to war with the unions back in the 80s, and just cut off huge swathes of the country like dead wood, leaving London to generate the nations wealth through finance, and we all know how that turned out?

3 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

anyone else thinks there is a conspiracy theory going on here, All the main players UK and EU plotting  the final outcome...........................  as in we are not leaving

I said June 17 when this all kicked of and we had the result. We were never going to leave

Yeah, but you only voted to leave, not how it was going to happen, or how it would work? I hear 'leave means leave' but it is a little naiive not to expect some negotiation. Because they didn't know then and don't know now. It's easy to feel there is a conspiracy going on, but our 'finance people' are world class, and if they are struggling who can solve it.

I think there are some sinister characters on both sides sitting ready to take advantage a no deal Brexit. Walking us off the cliff like lemmings.

• Like 1

we really needed a  "Crack Ninja" squad of  seasoned car sales people in the negotiations from the start rather than the civil servants who would probably struggle  to close barn door

2 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

we really needed a  "Crack Ninja" squad of  seasoned car sales people in the negotiations from the start rather than the civil servants who would probably struggle  to close barn door

It is what it is. I didn't vote leave but I'm happy to roll with it. That's the decision of the people. But, I'm still waiting to hear what mega deals we are going to be cutting with the Chinese and Asians. Pity the poor sod that's sent out there with an order book to fill for a factory in Northampton?:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

My Dad loves Morgan's he has had several wooden cars and a friend of mine is one of the tour guides at the Morgan factory - I am in Worcester.

It is on my bucket list for this year to have a factory tour.

Is no one else worried? I wasn't until I heard that if we exit without a deal, the economy will collapse.

And I'm not rolling in it to take advantage of a collapsed economy. If I had a few hundred thousand in the bank I'd be sleeping easy, deal or no deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Screenman said:

It is on my bucket list for this year to have a factory tour.

Be sure to look me up if you do go, you’ll be driving pretty much past me.

• Like 1

Not worried at all TG it won't affect the likes of us by a huge amount, in fact if the economy goes that bad it could work to our advantage, folks will need to keep their cars running longer and will be looking to buy cheaper decent Cars not brand new ;)

Smaller Independents should do better than big fish with large overheads :)

Me, said it before I don't give a monkeys it will not affect me in the slightest ;)

I will definitely take advantage of whatever scenario, I just don't know right now what that may be :lol:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I will definitely take advantage of whatever scenario, I just don't know right now what that may be

LIKE^^^^^A LOT

Leave campaigns chief economist predicted leave would end manufacturing in the UK (and the plan for 30th March is to set all import tariffs to zero as our systems can’t handle the complexity required to go to WTO on imports in such a short time, so that will definitely kill a lot of them).

There will be lots of buying opportunities though so if you’ve got cash then should be plenty of cheap cars and property to sweep up.

Used market should do well, but suspect people will be forced to down trade, especially those who use credit and lose their jobs. I’ve learnt credit is hard to get without employment (no matter how much you’ve got saved or own assets). 

If the economy 'tanks' and we have loads on the dole, who buys the cars?:unsure:

• Like 1

When the economy tanks (even more) you mean? Because it already has a fair bit. 

We’ll be fiiiiiine. Always have, always will be. At least that’s the narrative I’ve been reading. 

I've been really busy and missed most of the recent goings on so i'm a bit lost on where we are and what's going on (if anyone can put it into a succinct bullet point i'll have a read).

From what i've read it seems like the whole of Europe is on a bit of an economic slowdown but i'm no economist so I don't understand the real reasons why and how much Brexit has as a part to play in that. All I do know is that I still can't find a decent trade to work on my house that's not booked up for six months, cars are still shifting as per usual and a deceased relatives flat has had no end of interest and offers within a month. Not seeing the shortage or work/money down here in the SE yet.

1 hour ago, met said:

If the economy 'tanks' and we have loads on the dole, who buys the cars?:unsure:

Less people. Those who have retired or those with cash savings.

I’m old enough to remember the real recessions of the early 80’s and early 90’s when people just handed the keys in on their houses as they couldnt pay their mortgages and were heavily in negative equity. The over-inflated house prices and likely restrictions in credit are creating a high likelihood of a repeat. 

economies run on confidence (and in reply to another thread) loss of confidence causes recessions.

No deal will be the mother of recessions as it will kill confidence (what’s left of it). 

I’m in the south east and trades still busy (those who haven’t retired, it’s a great career option that few seem to pursue) so far but seeing redundancies piling up. 5 friends in 5 weeks and these are long term senior jobs, not call centre work.

time to pay down debts and be in cash to take up buying opportunities. 

Edited by CCC

2 hours ago, CCC said:

There will be lots of buying opportunities though so if you’ve got cash then should be plenty of cheap cars and property to sweep up.

Used market should do well, but suspect people will be forced to down trade, especially those who use credit and lose their jobs. I’ve learnt credit is hard to get without employment (no matter how much you’ve got saved or own assets). 

quantitative easing has put up the property prices, what is THE REAL VALUE ? 20% less? they did say property prices would drop .

how cheap is a cheap car ?

5 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Is no one else worried? I wasn't until I heard that if we exit without a deal, the economy will collapse.

we might have ration books

1 hour ago, met said:

probably another stoopid scrappage scheme :rolleyes:

Based on yields and affordability then house prices are about 20% higher than they should be already. Factor in a recession with tightening credit then maybe 30% total drop (-10% from correct level).

Who knows what’s going to happen but the house price correction was likely no matter what I reckon, more a question of when, not if.

When I say cheap, I meant undervalued. For property and cars, from those liquidating assets quickly to cover their bills in the absence of employment or credit. Recessions create opportunities for those places to take advantage, the old adage of money makes money will very much apply.