Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

mini cooper etc etc stay well away.

I have sold around 30 minis this year. i kid you not, we must have had 24 of them back with some kind of issue and 3-4 with either oil leaks or burning oil

I will never ever place an older mini in my stock profile ever again. The 2010 onwards dont seem to bad. as soon as they hit 50-60,000 miles and 8-10 years old they literally fall apart.

Rant over, that is all.

Yup. I agree.

They’ve been on the ‘cars not to buy list’ for years now. Trouble is, they have a habit of coming in PX!

yeah, just food for thought guys, I know these cars inside out. the timing chain issues etc and burning oil etc are bull sh*t and expensive fixes, literally all burn clutches like they are going out of fashion.

Ticked off my list now.... never again.

7 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

yeah, just food for thought guys, I know these cars inside out. the timing chain issues etc and burning oil etc are bull sh*t and expensive fixes, literally all burn clutches like they are going out of fashion.

Ticked off my list now.... never again.

Until.........

Yup got one in right now, 2010, 98k, got it cheap as it needed a new clutch (expected that) then the battery died knocking out the footwell control module, now every time you start it, the windows go down and won't go back up until you start driving it for a few minutes... Never bloody ending! 

Just to be awkward, I like a Mini and have always done well with them (touch wood).

Got 3 in stock as we speak:

06 Cooper S Convertible Automatic (PX)

59 Cooper S Camden Edition

61 Mini One D

Having said that, all I am getting lately are warranty claims (we self admin)

BMW 1 Series - Oil leak

DS3 - Service light keep reappearing

Focus ST-3 - steering rack

Just done DPF on V70

Always when it's quiet.

I wouldn't mind but I always go OTT to mechanical prep but my crystal ball can't tell me what will fail a couple of months down the line.

Edited by Mark101

Have got a white Cooper to pick up this week but girl in the office is having it for £3k SIV.

2007/57 one (now deceased) owner, Chili Pk and Pan Roof, Mini TLC history and 9,000 miles.  Genuinely does not look like it has ever been driven.  

MOT just out and flat battery as it’s been parked up since June, what could go wrong!

I hate them and won’t have them at all now either

chains

clutch

misfires

sensors

Oil leaks

british leyland  garbage with a new badge

ive really tried to like them but they are proper garbage

amazing what marketing can do to get the girlies to purchase these THINGS

The diesel ones 2010 onwards are fine, thanks to having a french unit in them. 

The petrols on the other hand.....

6 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Just to be awkward, I like a Mini and have always done well with them (touch wood).

06 Cooper S Convertible Automatic (PX)

N14 turbo engine with an auto box = :o:o

3 hours ago, sparky said:

2011 onwards have the BMW unit I believe which can snap timing chains. 

Early minis with Chrysler running gear are shit. 2010/11 onwards they are much better. 

2010 newer ones seem fine..... its 59 plates and below, are absolute trash.... and to be honest.... they are not even good sellers......

Cracking little cars when they run rite though, still a big audience for them so if you get hold of a strong one there certainly worth stocking. They ALL burn oil if they have the Peugeot engine in them its just seems that what they do and most savvy customer know this already and we advise people of this on hand over. 

Chains yes are not cheap BUT most cars need a chain at some point (100k), Civic's Clio's etc so we check before we take one in or pop in the advert when we list it (can replace chain for £££). 

Personally we are big fans of them :)

18 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

I have sold around 30 minis this year. i kid you not, we must have had 24 of them back with some kind of issue and 3-4 with either oil leaks or burning oil

I will never ever place an older mini in my stock profile ever again. The 2010 onwards dont seem to bad. as soon as they hit 50-60,000 miles and 8-10 years old they literally fall apart.

Rant over, that is all.

They are great cars as long as you put new Cam Chain and guides ,  piston rings , Decoke the head and manifold , new turbo oil feed pipe , have the turbo rebuilt and put new plugs in .

Then they don't come back and go like shite off a shovel :) 

Yep they are hopeless bloody things as you say 

14 hours ago, sparky said:

The petrols are french too :rolleyes: Bloody Pug engines .

BMW cant make 4 cylinder engines so they bought crap ones instead for the Minis 

Pre 05 were the Chrysler engine with the crappy Peugeot/Rover gearbox.

05/06 onwards are the crappy PSA/BMW joint venture prince engine that’s also fitted to all petrol Peugeot’s, Citroen’s and the 1.6 petrol 1 series. 

12 hours ago, Lakeside said:

05/06 onwards are the crappy PSA/BMW joint venture prince engine that’s also fitted to all petrol Peugeot’s, Citroen’s and the 1.6 petrol 1 series. 

I’ve given up on anything with that horrid 1.6 petrol engine. A shame because the 1.6 diesel nowadays seems spot-on (forget early Focuses) whenever I get a Pug/Citroen/Focus in stock.

However I leave the Mini market to others more skilled than me in dealing with the fussy & the potless. The newer stuff might be better news but a few years on & the punters are hopeless.

4 hours ago, Barclaywoodmotorco said:

Been to court twice over the r56 mini absolute shit.

it has the Peugeot m14 engine rubbish stay away.

Care to tell the stories ?