Sign in to follow this  
Beechwood

Should I come Back to the Game?

Hi Guys,

Have been reading your posts now for a couple of weeks and I must say I find them both interesting and on times highly amusing and it seem all the same old issues are there, a bit of back ground i have got the game in my blood a bit of an old vetran but have been out of it for the past 6 yeas or so when I gave up my pitch, and currently running an Estate agency but at heart do miss buying cars. However having done a bit of research it seems things have changed a bit over the past few years, looking at going back and doing a bit of dealing from home, but stock prices generally seem to be silly and at times almost retail how do you guys seem to buy enough stock that still has some legs in it with auction premiums etc being so high, your comments would help

Thanks in advance

I suggest you just do a few from home. At the mo I honestly wouldn’t advise someone to pack in a job that pays their bills to start trading full time unless they have a strong financial cushion to fall back on - and that’s after they’ve paid out for stock.

Mind you, with the quality of employers of many non-professional jobs, contractual hours (i.e. sweet f.a.) and low wages I don’t know how many unskilled workers can afford to live. 

• Like 1

Yeah ease back into it and build slowly I’d suggest. Build some contacts, body, mechanical as that seems to be a big barrier.

Can try few cars but I think estate agency is better than dealing cars these days. Good luck.

You would not believe how much things have changed in the last six years. Personally I'd think you'd be mad to get back into it.

51 minutes ago, Ek cars said:

Stick to Volvo and Vw diesel estates between 2003-2008 and you will do ok.

06 plate Passat with the shite 2.0 diesel engine? Good luck if you want to deal with that one!

1 hour ago, Ek cars said:

Stick to Volvo and Vw diesel estates between 2003-2008 and you will do ok.

That sounds like polish heaven.. but not a profitable kind.

1 hour ago, AutoJacob said:

That sounds like polish heaven.. but not a profitable kind.

Be alright on the Volvo stuff(As long as the geartronic box is ok)

5 hours ago, Beechwood said:

Hi Guys,

Have been reading your posts now for a couple of weeks and I must say I find them both interesting and on times highly amusing and it seem all the same old issues are there, a bit of back ground i have got the game in my blood a bit of an old vetran but have been out of it for the past 6 yeas or so when I gave up my pitch, and currently running an Estate agency but at heart do miss buying cars. However having done a bit of research it seems things have changed a bit over the past few years, looking at going back and doing a bit of dealing from home, but stock prices generally seem to be silly and at times almost retail how do you guys seem to buy enough stock that still has some legs in it with auction premiums etc being so high, your comments would help

Thanks in advance

Why did you give the pitch up Beechwood and go into something else?

3 hours ago, DPF said:

Can try few cars but I think estate agency is better than dealing cars these days. Good luck.

Hmm. Think again. It's often 3 months from exchange to completion and try waiting that long and dealing with people losing their minds day in day out for a £2k fee. Cars are the second most important thing in people's lives!

Hi Beechwood

If it is any help,2 months ago I restarted and set up a pitch after being 7 years retired ( but on the periffery).Everyone said don’t bother because things have changed and I can understand why.Setting it up took long enough from getting  BT,Utilities,bank accounts,card machines,new insurance regs,website,FCA stuff,etc,lots of bullshittters letting you down. When you factor in that most people under 40 are either debt ridden or would prefer to rent a new car instead,your target market is now drastically reduced.When you do a deal now,the punters often take a week or more to collect and settle up.I only go in for an hour or so per day but I get very impatient , it has definateley changed.As for getting stock,if you can pay Cap Clean for stuff you will be doing well....being an estate agent sounds better .....Good Luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stockedup! said:

06 plate Passat with the shite 2.0 diesel engine? Good luck if you want to deal with that one!

:lol:

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Hi Beechwood

If it is any help,2 months ago I restarted and set up a pitch after being 7 years retired ( but on the periffery).Everyone said don’t bother because things have changed and I can understand why.Setting it up took long enough from getting  BT,Utilities,bank accounts,card machines,new insurance regs,website,FCA stuff,etc,lots of bullshittters letting you down. When you factor in that most people under 40 are either debt ridden or would prefer to rent a new car instead,your target market is now drastically reduced.When you do a deal now,the punters often take a week or more to collect and settle up.I only go in for an hour or so per day but I get very impatient , it has definateley changed.As for getting stock,if you can pay Cap Clean for stuff you will be doing well....being an estate agent sounds better .....Good Luck.

Bloody hell TV, I thought you started positively but then you ended up even more negative than me. You’re right about the punters though, umming & arrring, often turn up without a few quid for a deposit (thankfully the nearest cash machine is 50yds away), sometimes drag the deal out a week and the number of the general public who are simply lying, bullshitting, deluded bastards is unbelievable. 

2 minutes ago, BHM said:

Bloody hell TV, I thought you started positively but then you ended up even more negative than me. You’re right about the punters though, umming & arrring, often turn up without a few quid for a deposit (thankfully the nearest cash machine is 50yds away), sometimes drag the deal out a week and the number of the general public who are simply lying, bullshitting, deluded bastards is unbelievable. 

Talking to a friend today,he has an old Rav advertised for £1000.Bloke keeps ringing him and asking about the condition of the front bumper.He then asks if he can buy it .....the front bumper that is ! 

33 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Talking to a friend today,he has an old Rav advertised for £1000.Bloke keeps ringing him and asking about the condition of the front bumper.He then asks if he can buy it .....the front bumper that is ! 

:lol::lol:

I’ve been asked for a spoiler off a 4x4 before & only last week a friend was asked to sell seats 6 & 7 out of a Zafira he has for sale. Imagine him then trying to sell that - the only 5 seat Zafira in the UK! 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I honestly can’t think of a worse time to get into this trade; all of the above plus the amount of ‘traders’ that are cropping up everywhere that’s only going to get worse when the post-Christmas blues rear their head.. 

If you can handle extreme pettyness and in resonable behaviour on a daily basis .

and first time driver boys driving the cars to distruction then the parents then wanting they’re money back after

5 months ,

jobs a headache for sure non stop , you will rarely get a days piece last 4 years has got a lot harder due to the CRA LAW .

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies all sounds like a very mixed bag to me, but some good solid thoughts an advice, i have no intention of giving up the estate agency started it with a younger partner  three years ago and and been selling 60 or so a year the fixed costs dont change much and no repair bills, wiil definately take on board your thoughts, like the Volvo thing as that was always one of the marques that I concertrated on good to know they still have a decent demand, thans all for the advice, no doubt I will be asking a few questions.

It’s interesting that you mention Volvos as they make a good example. 

Anyone who’s been dealing 10years+ will know what I mean by a ‘Volvo man’ - only wants a Volvo, not too fussy, realistic expectations for their budget & if the car was described correctly he bought. No f***ing about, the deal was done before he rolled up.

Nowadays ‘Volvo man’ has all but disappeared. Since Volvos are more mainstream they now attract as much penniless scum as many other brands and rather like the newer Volvo cars themselves, the punters are cheap & nasty.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BHM said:

It’s interesting that you mention Volvos as they make a good example. 

Anyone who’s been dealing 10years+ will know what I mean by a ‘Volvo man’ - only wants a Volvo, not too fussy, realistic expectations for their budget & if the car was described correctly he bought. No f***ing about, the deal was done before he rolled up.

Nowadays ‘Volvo man’ has all but disappeared. Since Volvos are more mainstream they now attract as much penniless scum as many other brands and rather like the newer Volvo cars themselves, the punters are cheap & nasty.

There are still some about, had a couple turn up today on my V40, they turned up in a 440!! :D

I know what you mean though...

4 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

There are still some about, had a couple turn up today on my V40, they turned up in a 440!! :D

But did they buy it?

12 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

But did they buy it?

No, it was still parked up at BCA :unsure::lol:

Welcome Beechwood, if you have previous experience then dip your toes, you'll have hardly any overheads and as long as you buy right there is good money to be made. My only advice would be to make sure you do the job right and make sure you cover your ass. I am of the opinion the CRA benefits us more than the SOGA, but you just have to be completely transparent, qualify your billy and cover your ass. Good luck