premi-motor

Dealer working from home vs Neighbour (problem)

OP, have you considered renting a desk in a local office? You could then park the vehicle in question outside, take the billies to the office (will look good and profesh) and if they want to buy it, take them inside to do the paperwork?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi ECJ

I would like to hear more from you please,about anything by the way.

Big LIKE and a big welcome ECJ.... :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EPV said:

OP, have you considered renting a desk in a local office? You could then park the vehicle in question outside, take the billies to the office (will look good and profesh) and if they want to buy it, take them inside to do the paperwork?

Nice idea. Nope, I'd not thought about it! Worth looking in to...

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

If you have a nice house in a good neighbourhood then selling from home is easier.I have done this at 2 different houses for several months at a time.The first time,our front door was bigger than no 10 and the punters were further impressed when I showed them the docs in the billiard room.So if Mark Carney proves correct about falling house prices ( I doubt he is),it might be better to buy or even rent an imposing house with its own parking than rent a unit .

By the way,my guy is struggling with videos and we were looking at one of yours today for a Yeti,even better than before.

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If you have a nice house in a good neighbourhood then selling from home is easier.I have done this at 2 different houses for several months at a time.The first time,our front door was bigger than no 10 and the punters were further impressed when I showed them the docs in the billiard room.So if Mark Carney proves correct about falling house prices ( I doubt he is),it might be better to buy or even rent an imposing house with its own parking than rent a unit .

By the way,my guy is struggling with videos and we were looking at one of yours today for a Yeti,even better than before.

I’d rather a few modest properties than one imposing one personally. 

Other people paying the mortgage - thank you.

Cash in one day or live off those owned outright, it’s my pension.

21 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Big LIKE and a big welcome ECJ.... :) 

Thank you AD.

As said i have been a silent viewer of the forum...i have a confession to make... Anyone told you that you have resemblance to Mike Brewer? Lol! :D

24 minutes ago, EPV said:

As a punter i would be weary "why is he taking me to a secluded spot? Am i going to get mugged?"

3 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Well easier perhaps for most of us but if the OP has family concerns (his Dad's sad ill health) then maybe that barrier between work and home may be beneficial.

Thanks for the kind words about the video. 

3 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Thank you AD.

As said i have been a silent viewer of the forum...i have a confession to make... Anyone told you that you have resemblance to Mike Brewer? Lol! :D

Mmm Brad Pitt me thinks :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Thank you AD.

As a punter i would be weary "why is he taking me to a secluded spot? Am i going to get mugged?"

Secluded? An office in a rented building? Yeah, well dodgy! :lol:

I'm talking about hiring a desk or small office in a large building, you meet the punters there, ask them to call you when they are near and you'll make your way down etc. You don't meet them at your house and then take them off to an office.

26 minutes ago, trade vet said:

ECJ,I can identify with that,I have had amusing run ins with neighbours but the best one was an industrial unit on a trading estate.Hope I haven’t already mentioned this.There was a 100 car pitch already there and the guy objected to me because we did not have specific planning etc.I just said OK I will apply,however having checked for any objections under FOI,there were many from the other businesses on the estate including tyre and paint shops.I went to see them all and they new nothing about it,the objections were fraudulent.

I hope you raised this.

Over the years i picked up a nag to identify comments from the same person under a different alias... The language and punctuation are usually the biggest give aways and the way a comment is structured lol

Its sad but reality is it can have a detrimental impact on genuine people whether its for a business or a house extension. And the new grads in planning jobs are clueless than clueless to idenitfy traits!

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Secluded? An office in a rented building? Yeah, well dodgy! :lol:

I'm talking about hiring a desk or small office in a large building, you meet the punters there, ask them to call you when they are near and you'll make your way down etc. You don't meet them at your house and then take them off to an office.

Oh my bad. I thought you meant show them at home...they're happy and then you say "lets go to my office" and they think what? Lol 

But it makes sense in the order you said. 

Would you park at home then? I have thought myself to get a storage place but continue to trade at home. These self storage places are expensive if they allow cars and its usually the container types which i feel  about... Some one could lift the container with your stock in it :D

Ps how do i access more emojis?

7 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Mmm Brad Pitt me thinks :)

Watched your Mini vid yesterday and I have to say Simon - that’s a serious hair cut.

Lionel Blair haircut ad springs to mind.

Knocked 10 years off you though B)

6 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

I hope you raised this.

Over the years i picked up a nag to identify comments from the same person under a different alias... The language and punctuation are usually the biggest give aways and the way a comment is structured lol

Its sad but reality is it can have a detrimental impact on genuine people whether its for a business or a house extension. And the new grads in planning jobs are clueless than clueless to idenitfy traits!

Oh my bad. I thought you meant show them at home...they're happy and then you say "lets go to my office" and they think what? Lol 

But it makes sense in the order you said. 

Would you park at home then? I have thought myself to get a storage place but continue to trade at home. These self storage places are expensive if they allow cars and its usually the container types which i feel  about... Some one could lift the container with your stock in it :D

Ps how do i access more emojis?

Well, I don't park any at home as it is, so no I wouldn't. However, if I had a big drive, I'd park 6 on the drive and rent some cheap storage/scaffold storage type land for the rest, have a desk in an office building etc. If I were the OP I mean. As it is, I'm currently signing up for a unit that will hold 15 so my doorstepping days will be behind me. The council visit wasn't the reason, it was a consideration, but I've had enough of being here there and everywhere, having to always move cars etc.

43 minutes ago, EPV said:

You are better off offering all your MOT, service and repair work to a local garage which will value your custom and ask them if in return you meet and great your billies there......  I did it for years.....................

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

You are better off offering all your MOT, service and repair work to a local garage which will value your custom and ask them if in return you meet and great your billies there......  I did it for years.....................

Another good idea for the OP

18 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Watched your Mini vid yesterday and I have to say Simon - that’s a serious hair cut.

Lionel Blair haircut ad springs to mind.

Knocked 10 years off you though B)

I was thinking of a flat cap........

34 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I was thinking of a flat cap........

Maybe it wasn’t a syrup after all? 

13 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Maybe it wasn’t a syrup after all? 

Guys, To make it clear I don’t wear nor need a syrup and fig :) I’m fifty and my hair isn’t enhanced, coloured or even bothered with in any respect, it’s totally natural and the complete envy of the greater majority of my buds :) 

Many years ago whilst trading from home I had a council visit.  Long story short.....actually its a very short story.

In a nutshell he rocked up showed me his ID, told me of the complaint. Had a quick butchers, could clearly see no signage, engines out of cars or mechanical type work going on.  Obviously the complaint had been exaggerated.

He left with no further action. 

20 minutes ago, MrC said:

Many years ago whilst trading from home I had a council visit.  Long story short.....actually its a very short story.

In a nutshell he rocked up showed me his ID, told me of the complaint. Had a quick butchers, could clearly see no signage, engines out of cars or mechanical type work going on.  Obviously the complaint had been exaggerated.

He left with no further action. 

Identical to what happened to me. Except he was a she.

5 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Hi there planning legislation is a massive grey area and it depends on who you speak to at the council and the outcome can vary.

There isn't a material change of use as pointed out by one of the posters above. 

This is similar to someone running a home business like eBay or the local spotty teen running a window tint service. 

Your cars are advertised on the net and you dont have a walk in business thus your customers attend by appointments. So there is no large quantities of traffic. 

Your neighbour could have lots of visitors day in day out that are loud and this could go on for several hours of the day. Whereas your punter might be there for 20 mins has a rant and goes. 

You could get planning permission i mean apply for it or you could operate as you are now. In either case if the LPA approaches you they may advise you to apply or alternatively serve an enforcement notice for you to cease the use of business.

If you are refused planning permission or served with a notice in either case you can make a free of charge appeal to the inspectorate. If you appoint a planning consultant to act on your behalf you will obviously have to pay his fees. 

The appeal process can take months and in this time you can still operate.

This neighbour sounds like some residence association leader we used to have in a west London council area...always making complaints even though he might be 5 or 6 miles away...

He was racist... So do ask yourself are you being picked on because of being a minority on the road? Might sound silly but when i did planning inspections i would go round and find no issue then the complainant would twist it and make a different allegation... All whilst the complained told me this neighbour has called the police, other council depts and what else on me!

They always use the solicitor excuse to scare you off...

I now sell 2 to 3 cars here and there and my neighbours are fantastic. I always tell the punters off if they park nearly blocking a neighbours drive etc so make sure your punters dont prat about and it is a pain when the eastern europeans turn up with 10 of them to view a £1200 runner...

Love the username! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dealer said:

Love the username! 

Hehe

I was always a jobsworth towards the nasty people. Whether that would be the complained or the complainants!

If the latter then I was complained about :D

On 1/12/2018 at 6:09 PM, premi-motor said:

Hi all

Being recently made redundant from a long-term position, I've started to try to work at home due to very limited funds meaning I can not commit to a site.

I have a large, enclosed driveway and keep cars here - some of, not all, are for sale.

None of the vehicles are marked up and obviously there are no signs to suggest I am trading vehicles.

It is also the family home and we have lived here for 31 years.

Last month, a nosey, non-immediate neighbour (who happens to be chairman of the residents association - you know the type!) has become offended that I have a few cars which are kept on the driveway - ost of them out of sight.

He visited in person to say that "some of the residents" had raised it at the last meeting and it was his duty to tell me. He asked me what I'd like to tell them, of which I suggested that if it offends them come and see me and I'll happily talk to them. None of "them" have.

He then stated me that he "used to be a solicitor" and explained that I needed planning permission "which I would not get" to operate such a business from home.

A quick Google search indicates none of this is the case:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/56/working_from_home

Today, another neighbour called me out of courtesy to let me know that this guy has now circulated an email to the residents of the lane of which I am excluded.

It explains about me and that I have been "reported". (Interestingly, the same neighbour who tipped me off about the email has also experienced issues with him - He said that residents were concerned about building work taking place in his rear garden, when only he and one other house can actually see it).

I'm considering lots of things as you can imagine, but the most realistic is reporting him for bullying and harassment as I think that he's the sneery type where things will only get worse.

Has anyone else had this?

Any advice on where I stand appreciated.

G.

I would personally visit each neighbour individually and put their mind at ease. Explain your intentions. Then turn up at the meetings so you know what's going on. If you stay away you don't know what lies he is spinning the neighbours.

After that a tall cylinder of LPG left leaking through his bedroom window, should put everything to sleep.

I sometimes wonder how these people have the nerve to go to someones house and poke their nose in to other peoples personal lives,... so what hes on the residents association ? who cares. 

As long as you cause no obvious disturbance to the neighbourhood and do not have a line of cars with boards in the window for sale, then the council will have little interest in you, they may pop round for a look if enough people complain but they cannot act unless there is an obvious breach.

I personally would tell this guy to clear off and mind his own business. 

I don't think he needs permission. I think his neighbour is just a nosey, fussy bastard. Even if the council visit, they won't find cars parked all over the road with for sale signs, they won't find a big old mess, and they'll have nothing to report.

Don't worry about it. Some people are just pricks. Our neighbour (God rest his soul) had cancer, and even in his final days was fussy about who drove over the grass just off the road (note, not the grass on his drive), pulling out a pads and nothing reg numbers. Don't worry about it. Play nice until you tell him to mind his own business.