Sign in to follow this  
Darkbluecars

Safety at Car Auctions

Hi All. I've only contributed a couple of times here but a regular viewer. I've been trading full time since 2005 but only found you all a couple of years ago. I've found the shared info really helpful and interesting.

I know this is isn't a happy topic for my first go but I can't find any information that deals with my question.

My concern is about the fumes at car auctions. I happily stand for a few hours a day inhaling noxious fumes relieved only occasionally by a noxious coffee. Purely anecdotal I know but quite a few of my middle aged acquaintances have suffered some unpleasant illnesses which may or may not be linked. Has anyone ever come across any studies into the subject or come across remedies. I see a few guys wearing face masks these days.

Sorry about the gloomy subject as a starter 

There are a few ways to avoid this and it doesn't require a study to know how harmful these fumes are:

I only enter the hall to bid on stuff, not just stand there aimlessly waiting.  Stand outside or cafe in between lots.

I do buy mainly online now, which reduces exposure by 100%

Wear a mask 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stalker said:

Never did Dick Turpin any harm :D

Struggling to nick anything at the moment though

32 minutes ago, Darkbluecars said:

Hi All. I've only contributed a couple of times here but a regular viewer. I've been trading full time since 2005 but only found you all a couple of years ago. I've found the shared info really helpful and interesting.

I know this is isn't a happy topic for my first go but I can't find any information that deals with my question.

My concern is about the fumes at car auctions. I happily stand for a few hours a day inhaling noxious fumes relieved only occasionally by a noxious coffee. Purely anecdotal I know but quite a few of my middle aged acquaintances have suffered some unpleasant illnesses which may or may not be linked. Has anyone ever come across any studies into the subject or come across remedies. I see a few guys wearing face masks these days.

Sorry about the gloomy subject as a starter 

Theres lots of studies about people living next to main roads

Going once, going twice, to the gentleman in the yellow hazmat suit. NOT you Sir, the one standing next to you!

When I saw the title though I expected a thread about the recent accident at Paddock Wood which left someone with life changing injuries. 

One of our pitches is sandwiched between a railway line, incinerator, animal testing unit and a garage that seem to do more re gens than they have cars to do them on...when it comes to finger pointing I won't know which one to blame.

Not knocking the risks but the auctioneer at our local indie has been in the game since cars had winding handles on the front and he's fine.

(I say all this from an ivory tower though as I don't go to the block, hate the smell, hate the people, hate the cold)

10 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

(I say all this from an ivory tower though as I don't go to the block, hate the smell, hate the people, hate the cold)

How do you trust others to make your buying decisions !?

1 minute ago, twerp said:

How do you trust others to make your buying decisions !?

Well he's the other director & family so trust is pretty crucial.

We chat beforehand, we both know what we need to be stocking, compare lists pre auction and discuss bits we disagree on. 95% of the time we think each other has made the right call. On the other 5% we try to prove each other wrong so it kinda just works.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I go a bit strong on one through the door, sometimes he buys a dog, but that's always going to occur with hindsight. 

• Like 1

I love the buzz of an auction, always have from when I first went aged 18 (first dabble a trading cars).

What I hate is the stupid parking arrangements.  I bought a transporter because I was buying between 2 and 5 a week from BCA Wolverhampton (a nice clean modern site, the polar opposite of BCA Walsall).  A few weeks ago, they suddenly fenced off the customer parking completely, relocated it on some land nearby and put on a shuttle bus service.

I was never their biggest customer, so my lack of presence will be of no concern to them but I am not hanging around waiting for that one shuttle bus to collect me, nor am I walking down a dual carriageway in the cold, dark and rain - so I buy elsewhere or online now.

I hate the cold, that is my biggest gripe with auctions

7 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I love the buzz of an auction, always have from when I first went aged 18 (first dabble a trading cars).

What I hate is the stupid parking arrangements.  I bought a transporter because I was buying between 2 and 5 a week from BCA Wolverhampton (a nice clean modern site, the polar opposite of BCA Walsall).  A few weeks ago, they suddenly fenced off the customer parking completely, relocated it on some land nearby and put on a shuttle bus service.

I was never their biggest customer, so my lack of presence will be of no concern to them but I am not hanging around waiting for that one shuttle bus to collect me, nor am I walking down a dual carriageway in the cold, dark and rain - so I buy elsewhere or online now.

I hate the cold, that is my biggest gripe with auctions

Walsall BCA  makes my blood boil , the place has some of the worst staff at any auction going , , its Horrendous in just about every way  imaginable , Staff racing cars , Ignorant Staff , Cafes No good , Parking is Non Existence. Even the times of opening annoy me . Last time I bought one there I got the yard manager to watch it come out the hall and stop it before the driver thrashed it up the car park . Told him if i bought it and he thrashed it he was buying it . When it came down the hill i walked in front of it to the hall . 

28 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Walsall BCA  makes my blood boil , the place has some of the worst staff at any auction going , , its Horrendous in just about every way  imaginable , Staff racing cars , Ignorant Staff , Cafes No good , Parking is Non Existence. Even the times of opening annoy me . Last time I bought one there I got the yard manager to watch it come out the hall and stop it before the driver thrashed it up the car park . Told him if i bought it and he thrashed it he was buying it . When it came down the hill i walked in front of it to the hall . 

That site wants levelling and rebuilding, it isn’t aligned well with BCA’s market leading presence.

Have you tried Wolverhampton David?

6 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

That site wants levelling and rebuilding, it isn’t aligned well with BCA’s market leading presence.

+1. 

Bedford is my favourite closely followed by Perry Barr. Although 90% of my auction is done at Blackbushe. The volumes and price variations there are unbelievable. 

17 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

+1. 

Bedford is my favourite closely followed by Perry Barr. Although 90% of my auction is done at Blackbushe. The volumes and price variations there are unbelievable. 

I used to like going to Blackbushe on Friday,the stock always appears a fortune but if you were ‘on the ball’ you could get a few.

I used to like going in at 8.30 but then they put a Gurkha on the gate and there was no way you could get past him before 9.00.

21 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Have you tried Wolverhampton David?

Yes been to Wolverhampton Mark what a contrast that was . 

I remember being at Brentford when a woman got killed by a large transporter, hopefully the auctions are safer now.

I've been tempted by Blackbushe, but the thought of having to get back by rail to pick something up is a big groan

On 01/12/2018 at 4:47 PM, Nick M.K. said:

+1. 

Is that 'traveller' site still opposite?

Bedford? They built a brand new facility right opposite the entrance to the car park nut the caravan park I think is still over the main road. 

Think this post would be more relevant in the doctors-magazine forum.

The carbon monoxide levels, as others have mentioned, are no worse than any inner city street on rush hour.

Think the ongoing stress related to this job will ultimately kill us, far before the effects of overexposure to carbon monoxide.

Very true the above.

(I’m more likely to suffer from red wine and beer exposure.)

It depends on the type of sale you go to.

Cgr trade and multi vendor tat will have the smokers... 

My personal hate is the auctioneer ranting at 400mph on full volume and you go deaf.

I rather buy online and it saves all that hassle. I bid on the cars i want as well which isnt a huge variety.

Newcastle customer service and attitude is 10/10

Bedford, P'bro, Wolves are on similar par

Hate the stupid one customer at a time at Perry Bar - you got your keys and wait for the jobsworth to take you one (or 2 if your lucky) at a time to your car

Enfield - worse customer service and rude staff in the yard. They all seem dismissive on giving you the keys and moving cars for you.

The blonde milf behind the counter is ok when she isnt on the time of the month :lol:

Let's not forget half of the north London private buyer ghetto turns up on a Saturday auction with kids...

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth