Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Mechanics report on a £2.5K car?

Absolutely No in my book, they are questioning your business and integrity. I wouldn’t want to do business with a billy who hasn’t wholeheartedly bought into me and my sales process. I ask my punters to trust me and only sell to people who are prepared too. End of.

34 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Go And Buy A New One ;)

He knows :D

They want a brand new car at the price of a ten year old one. Sorry sir, see the sign outside, we are a used car retailer. Therefore Go And Buy A New One....... GABANO

Edited by Dealer

They *never* buy after a RAC / AA report, who critique a car in a manner for the buyer to feel they are getting value for money.

what he's saying is he doesn't trust you, and he's asking for you to say, "of course, any inspection is more than welcome " my experience in 95% of these cases, the aa man never turns up, the customer KNOWS he has to pay for it, he is just looking for a bit more security ;)

30 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Go And Buy A New One ;)

Bugger I should have known that! Thankyou

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twerp said:

They *never* buy after a RAC / AA report, who critique a car in a manner for the buyer to feel they are getting value for money.

I've had three inspections and sold all three.

6 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

what he's saying is he doesn't trust you, and he's asking for you to say, "of course, any inspection is more than welcome " my experience in 95% of these cases, the aa man never turns up, the customer KNOWS he has to pay for it, he is just looking for a bit more security ;)

Very good point, although I'm not sure this guy is bluffing,

I'm also not sure if he is the type to fork out £200 for an inspection on a car he's already tried to get a few bob off.

I always tell the customer they are welcome to have an inspection,at their cost, as it is their right.

I also go on to explain that in the £150 ish inspection the inspector has no way of inspecting the car thoroughly underneath as they don't have access to a ramp/pit, this does tend to throw them a bit and for that kind of money I would certainly want a thorough inspection. I also go on to explain(AGAIN)that the car is a USED VEHICLE ie NOT NEW

Top and bottom if they trust you and the product they won't want to go and pay all that money for an inspection, some people are genuinely concerned and we need to understand that. I find that most people who come to me have read my reviews and seen the car in the pics and as long as the car doesn't shit itself on the test drive they buy it.

15 minutes ago, twerp said:

Had a handful done over the years and all have bought. on one occasion I did have to get the customer to call the inspector to explain why the "n/s rear door wouldn't open", it was a 3 door car:D

7 minutes ago, stockedup! said:

I always tell the customer they are welcome to have an inspection,at their cost, as it is their right.

I also go on to explain that in the £150 ish inspection the inspector has no way of inspecting the car thoroughly underneath as they don't have access to a ramp/pit, this does tend to throw them a bit and for that kind of money I would certainly want a thorough inspection. I also go on to explain(AGAIN)that the car is a USED VEHICLE ie NOT NEW

Top and bottom if they trust you and the product they won't want to go and pay all that money for an inspection, some people are genuinely concerned and we need to understand that. I find that most people who come to me have read my reviews and seen the car in the pics and as long as the car doesn't shit itself on the test drive they buy it.

this :)

and this =

1401 to 2000cc £182 £202
2001 to 2500cc £229 £254

member / non member                                                     

Crikey they have gone up!!

1 minute ago, have a word with the wife said:

this :)

and this =

1401 to 2000cc £182 £202
2001 to 2500cc £229 £254

member / non member                                                     

54 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Absolutely No in my book, they are questioning your business and integrity. I wouldn’t want to do business with a billy who hasn’t wholeheartedly bought into me and my sales process. I ask my punters to trust me and only sell to people who are prepared too. End of.

" trust me " :lol:

love it 

some punters just a need little more guidance, " of course you can have any inspection "

2 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

" trust me " :lol:

love it 

some punters just a need little more guidance, " of course you can have any inspection "

The thing is its fundamental that billies buy into me and my process.

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The thing is its fundamental that billies buy into me and my process.

Very very good point, why would you buy a product if you don't trust the person/company selling it? 

3 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Very very good point, why would you buy a product if you don't trust the person/company selling it? 

Exactly, but you have to instill that trust.

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Exactly, but you have to instill that trust.

I'm guessing its the engine warning light that's put the distrust there!

Let him do the report at his own cost, but 1. Be wary of him being less than happy if he books and loses his money if the car sells in the meantime, and 2. Don't expect a sale out of this. AA/RAC are stupidly pendantic on inspections. Having said that, if he DOES buy, then you're in a better position as he'll be aware of faults.

1 hour ago, EPV said:

I've had three inspections and sold all three.

You are incredibly lucky

52 minutes ago, twerp said:

You are incredibly lucky

1 out of 1 for us, RAC. List as long as your arm, we rectified key items and customer was realistic with the rest.

hopefully 2 out of 2 by the end of the week but I know the billy is looking for me to contribute towards restoring his 20 year old 911.

1 hour ago, twerp said:

You are incredibly lucky

I don’t know about that it’s just common sense. You just ask the mot tester to be extra thorough. 

The Mot station gets £30 and their aim is to pass you. The RAC gets almost 10 times that and the aim is to find stuff wrong so the customer pays again the next time. It’s not the same test, not the same process. 

Until RAC start using diagnostic equipment (they still don’t!)  I tell the buyers that that inspection has limited value and to save their hard-earned. 

Assuming the man won’t buy without it just let him pay his money, it’s no skin off your nose.

Do NOT remove the car for sale & even if a punter comes AFTER the inspection but BEFORE the man responds sell the car.

All I’d insist on it that you get a copy of the report, I’ve only had one external inspection & never got a report. Mind you, the man paid about £120 to inspect an £600 banger but the best part of it was THE CAR WAS ADVERTISED AS SPARES OR REPAIRS!! :lol:. Typical thick ebayer.

Had a few and sold one, the rest have all disappeared after the report as expected. I'm not particularly bothered by them, billy is paying for it after all. If they buy then i have had a free independent examination of the car so no future screaming should take place and if they don't then I have probably dodged a bullet. 

I do find it's always worth taking a few photos while the "inspection" is going on...some of the guys sent out by Dekra or whoever it is are laughable so if billy doesn't buy off the back of it it's always fun to show them what their £200 has paid for. 

Had this a couple of times, I'd work on the basis that until you get a deposit nothing is sold, so providing he pays the AA sure he can get it inspected as you don't have anything to hide - I'd assume as a result of an average report he'll probably not be buying it  - but if he does go ahead there can't be any come backs as he's had his own expert inspect it and report on any faults prior to handover. 

I'm in the let them crack on with it camp, we've had 3 this year.

One went fine with nothing reported at all

One said the headlight washers weren't working (they were but they don't work when car is sat still - lol!). He also said the alloy wheels had been refurbished. We knew that as we'd done it at customers request.

One said it had slight oil leak from sump seal (it did and we rectified)

all cars sold and gone

• Like 1