Sign in to follow this  
Gary@torquecars

Right car wrong place?

Hi, have recently started up trading from home, have been selling cars privately for many years now as I have a bad (and expensive) habit, thought I’d give it a go as a part time career from home, have jumped through all the various hoops from the council and set up as legit a business as I can, went out and bought 3 (first mistake) mini cars to sell as thought they were the easy ones to start off, bought 2 from auction (second mistake) and 1 privately, had all work done as was and turned out to be needed so the buyer had confidence the car was sorted, all I have had so far is time wasters, one even made me an offer (on his budget) which we agreed on then said he has one more to see and bought that (for more money!).

I have dropped the price so much now that I’m at more of a loss than I would have expected on the first few cars, and unfortunately I have put all my money in them so can’t get more stock that people in my area may be more keen on (live out in the sticks in south west Scotland around 20 mins out of the main town), have advertised on every medium now.

Is it location?

Type of car?

Price?

Current climate? 

Or all the above?

I have passed the 90 days for sale now so am in a more desperate situation as can’t move on till they are gone, any advise as to my next move? 

Thanks Gary (first time gentleness required)

Hi Gary, first of all welcome.

I'll say it before other's do, we need more info on the cars, ideally a link to an advert to give you proper, constructive feedback...

Hello and welcome,

I am sure that I speak for many experienced dealers when I say that this job keeps you on your toes all the time. The amount of times I have bought "a guaranteed seller" and it has sat for months with little interest or took something in a "package deal" which was relatively undesirable only to have a good do out of it the first week advertised, it can literally do your head right in!

If you can give more specifics on the cars that would be great, Ideally links to the adverts then everything can be seen what is needed.

Keep the faith.

hi

if that is your advert redo the photos as it will put many off

i could just expect you coming out to deal with me  me stuffing a pie and having one of those nasty bity dogs on a lead

remember people will sit for ages looking at pictures so background friendlyness is very important

:)

13 minutes ago, boring dave said:

hi

i could just expect you coming out to deal with me  me stuffing a pie and having one of those nasty bity dogs on a lead

remember people will sit for ages looking at pictures so background friendlyness is very important

My thoughts exactly.

I don't know how it works in SW Scotland, but here in NW at 20k miles I'd get £3.5k all day long for that PIXO, so to me it is too cheap and putting folk off ;)

Fresh MOT without advises is a must on this age Car.

Agreed re the Background for pictures.

HTH

50 minutes ago, Gary@torquecars said:

Hi, sorry that would have helped, the guaranteed money makers are as followed;

2009 Kia picanto 42k £1995

2010 Nissan Pixo 20k £2695

2012 Kia picanto 72k £2949

Example of current ad (tried various photos) 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810101355693

A new background for your photos, you may have to drive somewhere but the time taken will be worth it. Clean your foot pedals also.

If you are 20 miles out in the sticks, you might want to buy stuff that is a bit different.....Subarus, Xtrails etc. I find small cars hard work with little profits tbh

22 minutes ago, boring dave said:

hi

Don’t quite see that myself but appreciate the opinion,  did also have the following photos but a friend said that it looked like id be a dodgy dealer as no property in background....

C17473D2-CD6A-49DD-8A53-EC255642719A.jpeg

14 minutes ago, tradex said:

A new MOT may help?

It did have when I first put this one for sale, still think 9 months is reasonable, can always offer a new one as part of a deal?

2 minutes ago, Gary@torquecars said:

Don’t quite see that myself

That's the problem ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gary@torquecars said:

Don’t quite see that myself but appreciate the opinion,  did also have the following photos but a friend said that it looked like id be a dodgy dealer as no property in background....

More of the car in the shot Gary

1 minute ago, stockedup! said:

Def +1 then it would be much better than house shots ;)

1 minute ago, stockedup! said:

And more sheep.  Sheep sell cars...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gary@torquecars said:

It did have when I first put this one for sale, still think 9 months is reasonable, can always offer a new one as part of a deal?

Leave the MOT as it is, still got plenty on it, you can always put another one on as a close if needed

1 minute ago, sparky said:

And more sheep.  Sheep sell cars...

Take no notice Gary, sparky is from Wales...….Sheep do it for them;)

10 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Oh, Picanto is 1k too low price too even at 72k IMHO

Really, I think he is on the money with it, even though the car is average miles at its age it is a smaller car and whilst miles don't bother me on larger cars, small ones need to be more competitive IMO.

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

Hi Gary, first of all welcome.

I'll say it before other's do, we need more info on the cars, ideally a link to an advert to give you proper, constructive feedback...

+1

20 minutes ago, Gary@torquecars said:

Looks like your selling a field and caught the car in the picture . 

Be Confident with your pricing, as said above, if its too cheap people will ignore it as much as if its too expensive. I wouldnt bother with the torque number plate. Better background with the pictures required, but the car needs to fill the pic as much as is possible. wheels the wrong way (IMO) on some pics. if the engine bay isnt steam cleaned, dont take a pic of it.

But I also think theres a desirability issue with the cars. A Pixo is unlikely to excite a first time buyer, an old fart will buy a Pixo off a pitch, so to some extent the price is irrelevant. You're as likely to sell it from an ad in the post office window as on autotrader. One of your picantos is high mileage, but may sell to a youngster, try facebook as well, some on here do well selling to kids on there.

But keep trying, the cars seem fairly clean, you're working to  a reasonable standard of prep, so it should happen soon enough

• Like 1