Sign in to follow this  
david gott

1995 one owner golf valuation

Just purchased a 1993 Vw golf 1.4 petrol, Ryder model, one very elderly owner from new, only 29k miles, what do you reckon its worth, properly tossed off and looking retail ready?

£100 with full MOT :lol:

Seriously, I'd fleabay auction it, 10 day jobbie, £100 start and no reserve, some PH tosser will pay stooooooooooooopid money for that ;)

It depends what area you are in.Inner London traders would ask £2000 for that.Where we are £700 with a new ticket.

Ebay auction , some looney will scoop that up for daft money , thinking investment :) 

To buy, I'd have offered £150 px 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

Keep it yourself as investment ?

Yes, just what I was thinking, get it looking mint, leave it in the garage and let it appreciate in value 

55 minutes ago, david gott said:

Just purchased a 1993 Vw golf 1.4 petrol, Ryder model, one very elderly owner from new, only 29k miles, what do you reckon its worth

You absolutely have to advertise it for £3000, keep it there for a while and then drop gradually. Even if you paid £300 for it it doesn't mean you can not try and ask crazy money just in case there is a crazy person there. Or if our friends at Pistonheads are reading this: just in case it's a person who really knows the modern classic car market. 

Write in the advert: eligible for classic car insurance and that the one previous owner was an avid car collector. Let's face it, he kept it 25 years, he must've been. 

6 minutes ago, david gott said:

Yes, just what I was thinking, get it looking mint, leave it in the garage and let it appreciate in value 

And let it rust in peace? Noooo. Let someone else enjoy that slice of Wolfsburg history... That particular model Golf has the distinction of being their worst of all time so some might say it is an "important" car. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

You absolutely have to advertise it for £3000, keep it there for a while and then drop gradually. Even if you paid £300 for it it doesn't mean you can not try and ask crazy money just in case there is a crazy person there. Or if our friends at Pistonheads are reading this: just in case it's a person who really knows the modern classic car market. 

Write in the advert: eligible for classic car insurance and that the one previous owner was an avid car collector. Let's face it, he kept it 25 years, he must've been. 

And let it rust in peace? Noooo. Let someone else enjoy that slice of Wolfsburg history... That particular model Golf has the distinction of being their worst of all time so some might say it is an "important" car. 

See where your coming from, have it online at daft money and then leave it in the garage :) 

Defo Ebay auction stuff like that goes crazy when no reserve as opposed to a classified ad where buyer knows your price and will undoubtably chip you 30% of asking price.

1 minute ago, Ek cars said:

Defo Ebay auction stuff like that goes crazy when no reserve as opposed to a classified ad where buyer knows your price and will undoubtably chip you 30% of asking price.

Yep, 110%

Classic Car it will never be, it isn't a GTI ;)

Like nick said it was probably the worst Golf in history :lol:

We used to do very well in late 90s buying Mk3 Golfs in Glasgow and sending to London although we always only bought the 1.4 GL models as they seemed to shift best down in smoke, christ we were doing 4 figures a unit ! Those were the days.

14 minutes ago, david gott said:

have it online at daft money and then leave it in the garage

This is what I've been doing for years with my daily drivers, always managed to sell them for above market after a few months. When I need a quick sale it never happens for me but when I hope to have a car to enjoy it for a while it goes immediately. 

MK3 much better than MK4 rubbish!

Shame it’s not a Gti as has been said. 

(I have two very low miles MK3 Gti’s in storage.)

ebay classified advert if you are happy to wait. I think £2495 or best offer personally. VW people are a different breed. Somebody will want that. 

Edited by NOACROSS

£2995 and write the bollocks out of the advert with lots of hi-res photos. You’ll get it. There’s a place in Peterborough KGF Classics, they’d probably ask 4-5 for it.

Chance it, you never know.

13 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

No desirability sadly

What???

Someone will lose sleep over this, for sure. 

@david gott, list it on AT at £3000 exactly and publish the weekly response stats here please.

9 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

VW people are a different breed. Somebody will want that. 

+1

4 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

they’d probably ask 4-5 for it.

That's a valid strategy, sometimes the "it's too good to be true" brigade needs reassurance that they are looking at something really rare and genuine. What better reassurance than asking the highest price in the country. 

• Like 2

It’s certainly not desirable to me as a classic, therefore IMO it’s not desirable. As a usable practicle classic yes, but as an investment no. 

Has anyone ever looked at a 93 Golf 1.4 Ryder and thought WOW, what an amazing piece of automotive historical machinery. The answer is NO, just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s an investment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It’s certainly not desirable to me as a classic, therefore IMO it’s not desirable

I feel as a dealer of used cars this a wrong approach. You need to think what might be desirable to the majority of buyers and in this particular case what might be desirable to just ONE person out there. Because ONE is all @david gott needs to sell it (unless at auction, then it's TWO). 

I'll prove my point. The Ferrari 250 GTO is not desirable to me as a classic. It does nothing for me. I don't like the way it looks, it's not especially powerful by today's standards and quite frankly I don't know what all the fuss is about. BUT one just sold for $48.4 million. $10 million more than the same model sold 4 years ago. (maybe this is what the fuss is about)

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/30/cars/ferrari-gto-most-valuable-car-auction/index.html

Edited by Nick M.K.

Just now, Nick M.K. said:

I feel as a dealer of used cars this a wrong approach. You need to think what might be desirable to the majority of buyers and in this particular case what might be desirable to just ONE person out there. Because ONE is all @david gott needs to sell it (unless at auction, then it's TWO). 

I'll prove my point. The Ferrari 250 GTO is not desirable to me as a classic. It does nothing for me. I don't like the way it looks, it's especially powerful by today's standards and quite frankly I don't know what all the fuss is about. BUT one just sold for $48.4 million. $10 million more than the same model sold 4 years ago. (maybe this is what the fuss is about)

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/30/cars/ferrari-gto-most-valuable-car-auction/index.html

Nik, it’s an undesirable mk3 Golf. Not a Ferrari. 

Desirability isn't just about it being a full on classic, someone could have lost their virginity in one of these bad boys and wants to relive their youth, fingers crossed

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

it’s an undesirable mk3 Golf. Not a Ferrari. 

So it's ONLY £3000 not $48,000,000.

Just now, david gott said:

Desirability isn't just about it being a full on classic, someone could have lost their virginity in one of these bad boys and wants to relive their youth, fingers crossed

Yeah, and then she tarmacked him...