Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

VW Up! Any good?

I've got a repeat customer who is after a low mileage 1st car for their son, up to £5k. They've suggested something like a VW Up and gave asked me to keep an eye out for the right car. I've had nothing to do with these, are they any good? Any common issues to watch out for?

Nicer than a c1/107 and a bit more spacious than a Ka/500. Not had any issues with our ones other than the fact they take FOREVER to shift. For 5k i'd rather be in a 10 plate Yaris 1.3 with money leftover to pay for the insurance but maybe the badge isn't shiny enough?

We have run a few and they have been hard to shift with anything over average annual mileage or without A/C.  A few cars had a characteristic (VW’s words) drivetrain noise and sometimes won’t go into 1st gear unless stationary.  

1 hour ago, Contracts said:

We have run a few and they have been hard to shift with anything over average annual mileage or without A/C.  A few cars had a characteristic (VW’s words) drivetrain noise and sometimes won’t go into 1st gear unless stationary.  

This is true. Both an Up and a Citigo ive sold have had issues with going into first. VW have developed an improved clutch which costs a fortune. Apart from that they drive superbly for a small car.

14 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

I've got a repeat customer who is after a low mileage 1st car for their son, up to £5k. They've suggested something like a VW Up and gave asked me to keep an eye out for the right car. I've had nothing to do with these, are they any good? Any common issues to watch out for?

I've just taken a red Up Move (Nav) in px 33,200 miles full service history https://www.pas-motors.co.uk/used-volkswagen-move-up-3-door-hatchback-for-sale-in-scunthorpe-lincolnshire/  £3200 no prep at all

22 minutes ago, boring dave said:

no

a wonderful economy with words, can only second it! plus VW buyers can be funny types; so you dont really want to be encouraging another generation of them! :)

Make sure you get a good deposit is my view .

Had a black one for ever at low miles , and great history , A VW nut was the buyer in the end .

Nice little car though in my mind , loaded with toys , but thats the problem i think as it makes them look expensive for a toy car with little street cred for the young un's , Round here anyway 

• Like 1

On 17/09/2018 at 4:01 PM, David Horgan said:

Make sure you get a good deposit is my view .

Had a black one for ever at low miles , and great history , A VW nut was the buyer in the end .

Nice little car though in my mind , loaded with toys , but thats the problem i think as it makes them look expensive for a toy car with little street cred for the young un's , Round here anyway 

Yep - I remember back in 2011, a 4 year old Clio Campus would only cost £1600-£1850 to retail for £2895.

Who is paying £5000 for a 5 year old VW Up ? 

They are based on the Seat Citigo which new sold in Spain for £5300 GBP a few years ago.

Overpriced, crap to drive, and unreliable. I’d go for an i10 everyday of the week and twice on Sundays! What Car Best City car of the year 3 years in a row.

Thanks for the feedback. Going to give the Up a miss. (I agree about the i10 and it did cross my mind). I've just bought a cracking low mileage Fiesta 1.2 which I'm hoping will fit the bill....

i10 1.0 SE 2014-17 is only insurance group one, so can’t get any lower insurance grouping for 1st timer. Great spec to, A/C, Cruise, and of course 5 year warranty and AA cover from new, so won’t cost you anything if they get a problem!

All the negative comments here, have been written by people with little or no knowledge of owning a Vw Up.

Ive owned two of them, and still own them, and they have been superb cars, so good in fact, that the Vw Up continually comes top in all the car magazine awards.

Their very well built, provide great fuel economy, and a generally very reliable cars.

The cream of the range, is the 75hp Move Up, as it has all the right accessories, such as A/C, Power steering, and the more powerful 1 Litre engine.

An Up would make an ideal first car.

The Hyandai i10 is a decent enough car, but has never come anywhere near the top in the autocar magazines awards, compared to the Vw Up or Skoda City Go.

The Up, is a back to basics, very high quality city runabout, fairly cheap to insure, but very reliable and very fuel efficient.

Edited by Peter Lewis
requiring more detail

14 hours ago, Peter Lewis said:

All the negative comments here, have been written by people with little or no knowledge of owning a Vw Up.

Ive owned two of them, and still own them, and they have been superb cars, so good in fact, that the Vw Up continually comes top in all the car magazine awards.

Their very well built, provide great fuel economy, and a generally very reliable cars.

The cream of the range, is the 75hp Move Up, as it has all the right accessories, such as A/C, Power steering, and the more powerful 1 Litre engine.

An Up would make an ideal first car.

The Hyandai i10 is a decent enough car, but has never come anywhere near the top in the autocar magazines awards, compared to the Vw Up or Skoda City Go.

The Up, is a back to basics, very high quality city runabout, fairly cheap to insure, but very reliable and very fuel efficient.

I think your on the wrong forum, on here you will mostly find people who buy and sell cars for a living not own them or form part of some VW love club, I have also owned two of them both of them where a complete hunk of junks, insane gear change which VW had to revisit with a clutch modification average ride and compared to other makes in the same price bracket and very basic in spec.

As regards ratings ect again wrong forum as dealers we are concerned with how the product last sells and returns a margin none of which has to do with how many they sold or how much advertising VW spends in a magazine to get a good rating because of course that never happens. 

And i would never include the words reliable and VW in the same sentence.

59 minutes ago, justina3 said:

And i would never include the words reliable and VW in the same sentence.

Now now Justin..... Your Wrong.....

As they reliably fail :lol:

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Now now Justin..... Your Wrong.....

As they reliably fail :lol:

I stand corrected you are 100% correct. 

VW Down. (Smart Car/Dumb Car)

I hate all the German crap.  Also, the trouble with reviews when new,  is they obviously have little bearing on what the junk is like as a used car in our world of 4 years plus.  IMO, these are not built to last.  Give me an i10 or a Picanto any day.