Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Hubby wants it - Wifey doesn't want it....

I'm in this situation at the moment.... I want to sell the car but...... I've only spoken to hubby and he does seem weird & I mean quite weird, you know when you get that feeling about someone over the phone (my alarm bells were ringing)... Anyway, his intent is to keep the car for the next 10 years and he really wants it, but then he says his Mrs wants a different car and wouldn't want it..... So there's the dilemma. It's almost like he's asking me to give him permission to buy it...... But I have visions of unhappy wifey making my next six months hell.....

I get the feeling it could all end very badly, so I've told him I wouldn't be happy selling him the car until they are both in agreement.. Now, my Mrs leaves me to make most of the decisions and when it's serious we discuss, now I know if I went out and bought her a new car and said, there you go this is yours for the next 10 years after she specifically said she doesn't want it then it would be a very bad move......

What's your perception...

Sell it. 

You’re selling cars now marriage guidance. She may well want to make big trouble in little China but unless it’s a genuine complaint she can do her worst. 

• Like 3

call me crazy but i wouldnt sell

they usually come back in agreement and then give you their trust too

if they dont come back i feel i missed a bullet and anyway the car sold to a lovely little retired lady with white hair:)

I think you’ve done the correct thing.

If he wants her to have it that badly and (unlike me) he’s in charge of the relationship, he’ll buy it or not. 

You’ve said you’d rather have her approval, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it if he insists. Take the money  

I think you have done the right thing or you might just get a load of agrovation.It appears he has not got a tame wife ( I am in that category)The number of times we have had to unwind deals because the punter has bought the wrong car,although they never admit to that.

This is why my hesitation. I had a bad experience at the beginning of the year. Guy buys a 535d M Sport as a surprise for the wife just prior to Xmas as a surprise. 

Anyway, the missus hated it, called it a dinosaur vehicle and didn’t want it.... I think I might of brought up this story previously.

Anyway, I had the mother of the bitch contacting me saying I was a n irresponsible seller, I had the wife abusing me by phone, letter and text. 

The bitch then made a complaint and lied to Trading Standards. They came out and fully inspected my whole set up.... Anyway TS couldn’t fault my business set up and ethos.... I had all my paperwork, MOT, PDI and video description. They actually commended me on my approach to car sales. Open & transparent. 

I don’t want a repeat. 

You are a dealer, not a marriage counsellor. You get a customer that wants what you have - you deal! 

If they both like the car - Good! If only he likes it - Still OK - you sold to him. 

If they both hate it - Offer to buy it back at a lower price. Hold the V5 notification after the sale for at least a month so there isn't another keeper on the record and when selling it insist that taxing it by direct debit is the greatest method of them all. 

None of us want aggro but it does look like the majority of us forum members here are self employed business owners in a business full of aggro so we can take it sometimes :-)

Edited by Nick M.K.

4 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

You are a dealer, not a marriage counsellor. You get a customer that wants what you have - you deal! 

If they both like the car - Good! If only he likes it - Still OK - you sold to him. 

If they both hate it - Offer to buy it back at a lower price. Hold the V5 notification after the sale for at least a month so there isn't another keeper on the record and when selling it insist that taxing it by direct debit is the greatest method of them all. 

None of us want aggro but it does look like the majority of us forum members here are self employed business owners in a business full of aggro so we can take it sometimes :-)

Nik, I don't need to sell into hassle and potential grief. That's my decision, it's interesting to hear your different perceptions.

10 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

The wife will always come before the car, hes messing you about, total timewaster, see my username, years of experience ;):)

My years of experience agrees :)

• Like 1

I prefer it when the wife wants it and the husband isn’t interested 

;)

17 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I prefer it when the wife wants it and the husband isn’t interested 

;)

would you give a warranty in these circumstances

5 minutes ago, chief nut job said:

would you give a warranty in these circumstances

Depends upon how long she “wants” it for B)

8 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Depends upon how long she “wants” it for B)

it might be best if you do the maintenance then so as to keep everything in good order,you dont say what year or model it is but a lot of older models still need their npples greasing on the swivels and trunnions so it might be  best  to look into this,be aware some models are very high maintenance so consider this too as you wont be covered if its a business to business transaction

This thread is giving me an erection. 

I've mentioned before about a sale many years ago where the wife didn't want the car. They had a monumental bust up, fighting, the lot. But, if he shows up on his own, flog it to him. If she turns up run?:D

Reminds me when we sold a car once, a racey 3 door 'orange' megane to a lad, well, wide boy, anyway scrapes through the finance and has his black box fitted :rolleyes: wife arrives with him to collect,hadn't seen it till now, screams and shouts at him, shes calling solicitors shes had enough etc etc, all that, but VERY dramatic, turns to me and says hes gone and done it again we've got no curtains, no carpet, FOUR kids to feed and he wants to drive round looking like a prick without a care in the world, a three door bloody car with four kids!!!!! what an effin' muppet, i hope to god she did divorce the tosser....

I wouldn't sell it to him personally. Not worth any potential aggro. 

11 hours ago, chief nut job said:

it might be best if you do the maintenance then so as to keep everything in good order,you dont say what year or model it is but a lot of older models still need their npples greasing on the swivels and trunnions so it might be  best  to look into this,be aware some models are very high maintenance so consider this too as you wont be covered if its a business to business transaction

I'm sure a quick oil change will suffice ;)

Simon if I didn't sell a car every time I thought someone was a weirdo lets just say I would be very quiet :lol:

Sell it, ensure you don't leave yourself open and cover everything but to be fair you are pretty robust on this anyway. 

On a serious note, I would crack on and sell him it, and state my purchase back terms (ie £150 per week plus 30p per mile).

That will get him to sort his shit out.

Personally i wouldn't do it, it stinks of the hubby getting so much ear ache for buying the car that he eventually crumbles and you enter in the situation where they try and find every reason possible to return it. 

Not worth the hassle of trying to defend a perfectly good car :) unless you can turn it into a double and sell the wife something sporty too to keep her quiet.  

2 minutes ago, Tadams said:

Personally i wouldn't do it, it stinks of the hubby getting so much ear ache for buying the car that he eventually crumbles and you enter in the situation where they try and find every reason possible to return it. 

Not worth the hassle of trying to defend a perfectly good car :) unless you can turn it into a double and sell the wife something sporty too to keep her quiet.  

Yeah I agree, this has got buyer's remorse all over it, before they've even bought it! Your right to trust your gut instinct, but I know you don't need me to tell you. :)

You're :rolleyes: