Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Open top fun....?

...... or is it. Open top cars used to mean a small two seater sports car, probably getting on a bit and leaking oil. But now it means something German and with four seats usually driven by a middle aged couple. But, can you really look cool driving a four seater open car without looking like Hitler on a 'parade'?

Yes, you can. The key is not to stand in the back footwell, shout at the crowds and keep your arm in a straight extended position :-)

• Like 4

I had to drive my Mrs’ Fiat Spider yesterday (yes she’s now on her second new one) I always have the last word, but it’s “Yes Dear” (as it was dirty and she doesn’t know how to put fuel in it.)

Was on the driveway with the roof down. I thought ‘no one will see me, I’ll leave the roof down. The minute I get to the garage I have a text from my ‘mate’ doubting my sexuality! 

Edited by NOACROSS

2 minutes ago, chief nut job said:

who wants a rotten old mg when you can have a nice mx5 

Ha. Yes. We are of the same mind (old bastards) ‘Mx 5 in a dress’ is my favourite wind up when she annoys me ;o)

True. Exactly the text I received. And deserved/fair too! So stupid.  Even after all these years I’m still a twat & should know better. 

With all this nice weather I've been smoking a 120i se convertible and I couldn't give 2 fucks what ever people thought, they've obviously nothing better to talk about... Although it sold on Monday and I'm lumbered with a 159 that is  actually better than I thought it'd be. 

I'm 44 and a half :)

Edited by Paddy

Nice weather? That’s what AC is for.

With the roof down!? Must have all your hair still. 

Edited by NOACROSS

3 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Nice weather? 

With the roof down!? Must have all your hair still. 

It's been nice for a few weeks around these parts, couple of days this week have been shite but apart from that can't complain.. 

As for the hair it's starting to fail but I keep it quite short anyway

Oh dear  

my weekend thing is a 3.0 Z4  I have hair though  

Nothing handles like an early MX5/Eunos. 

• Like 2

Twatful sight, the only time for a top down is on a night on the back roads. The sight of someone loving themselves with Ray Bans at the traffic lights is pitiful - also have you ever tried it? I’m never normally self-conscious but sat in a town centre, roof down, makes me want to curl up & die.

I sell a few cheap Frenchies and let the punter go out on their own if they want the roof down. 

I reckon if you parked a soft top BMW/Mercedes/Audi in a Lidl car park with a for sale sign it would be gone in an hour!

4 minutes ago, BHM said:

Twatful sight, the only time for a top down is on a night on the back roads. The sight of someone loving themselves with Ray Bans at the traffic lights is pitiful - also have you ever tried it? I’m never normally self-conscious but sat in a town centre, roof down, makes me want to curl up & die.

I sell a few cheap Frenchies and let the punter go out on their own if they want the roof down. 

I agree with that.......Last week I park up at the golf club and this guy parks next to me in a Dog/C red old 98  Merc SL with the top down.I just say ‘nice one’ and I then get the full lowdown,basically expensive full shoot,new hood specially made in Krautland,wheels and leather refurbed,100k ish etc etc...He must have thought I was an enthusiast.He then says to me.....what about yours.I explain it is a ‘hand me down’,my wife’s old car silver 98 SL,we bought it 20 years ago,the roof has never been down,46k,virtually original,cracklemobile radio,heavy on fuel,not much use really......not what he wanted to hear !

53 minutes ago, BHM said:

So true as always.  Ray Bans and loud music or even worse- taking a call on hands free and the conversation is blaring out for the whole world to hear! Worse again is a bloke in a drop-top Porsche or Ferrari etc. I know what goes through my mind when I see a (usually middle-aged) bloke in one. 

Controversially, I don't mind it in an old classic like a TR7 or MG or something crap, but you can't make eye contact T.V. silly you!

Edited by NOACROSS

Bollox to that posing at lights lark..... do these middle aged bald blokes (and i count myself as one of those) really think they look cool in a convertible penis extension? I have the face and hairstyle for one thing..... a crash helmet

I love the way the first sight of sun and soft tops go mental in price at the block, then 3.5days later its back to cold shitty weather and you have them stuffed up your ass for 12months.

Or you buy one and the roof mech is as reliable as Trump and the customer lives with you.

Can you tell i am a big fan NOT

Air con all the way job done, wind in your hair you cant go over 40mph these days without getting a speeding ticket.

When i was younger much younger i used to have a m3 evo soft top a proper drivers car which we used to take down to Le mans 24 endurance rally each year, bit of a boys weekend away and once you hit France those roads and heat thats what a soft tops are made for. 

its not all about posing when you have the roof down

some people might actually enjoy their journey to work as they catch the first sun and lets be honest its a long time cold in this country for a lot of the time

• Like 1

Still on the Absinthe Chief?  Hair of the dog? ;0)

What about diesel convertibles?  I understand them even less.  Who wants a noisy tractor engine puffing soot into the car?  Am I missing more 'great fun' here?

57 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Still on the Absinthe Chief?  Hair of the dog? ;0)

What about diesel convertibles?  I understand them even less.  Who wants a noisy tractor engine puffing soot into the car?  Am I missing more 'great fun' here?

sober as a judge here 

a friend many moons ago put a diesel in his mk1 golf cabby and used it for all the auction running around,that was sound

i agree modern diesels and that strange clatty noise they make doesnt go together in my opinion

you need horses and plenty of them

Why do they make a beetle convertable ?

So you can hear people calling you a c*^nt .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Regan said:

Why do they make a beetle convertable ?

So you can hear people calling you a c*^nt .

:lol::lol: Bad seller too nowadays.

8 hours ago, tradex said:

In the old days when I had Stags, Spits, TR6's, MGB's, Beach Buggies n stuff I had those roofs down all the time, even in the snow. Good fun snowballing girlies on my estate, another life:(

pardon ?!

• Like 1