Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Dilemma

As a private seller I sold a fair few cars and quickly I priced them to sell and prepared them right. I had other employment so profit although important wasn't imperative. Things have changed

I was at auctions and going through numerous private ads etc and got a couple of cars. One in particular is a cause for concern , fiesta 1.25 zetec on 09 plate. The car has good history lowish miles at 65k, blemish free bodywork. It's unusual squeeze green colour ,quite an appealing car for a fiesta but probably paid over the odds at 2600 including fees.

Im in process of renewing the tired suspension which is easy enough for me to do but the real issue is noise from the throw out bearing. I had a garage take a look and drain gearbox oil.. No nasty surprises ! Basically his assessment was the clutch is ok the gears are smooth and its common for the bearing to make noise on fiesta's of that age. 

I'm particular by nature and maybe over analyzing what prospective buyers will notice/expect . Im 50/50 on getting garage to replace clutch and selling a car I don't need to worry about or attempting to sell with slight whirl when in neutral. I see this car at 3100 (fresh mot) with or without new clutch. In the past I would replace clutch and move on but finances are influencing my thoughts. Maybe I just need to hear an outsiders opinion... 

Surely you need a mechanics forum. 

So £500 mark up,, (not profit cus it hasn’t sold for full money yet) less MOT, less suspension work, less valet, less advertising, I wouldn’t be bothered about customer screaming bout noises from bearing I would be worried if I could afford to eat.... and that’s before the VAT man wants 20% of your £500 that he sees as clear profit...then the tax man will want a bit, not forgetting costs to get it from where you bought it,,, CAR DEALERS MAKE SHIT LOADS OF MONEY I WATCHED THAT WHEELER DEALERS ON TELLY :-))))))

Trader is my occupation as of two weeks ago. Yip your right about money ,I was aware of the small margins, every man and there dog having a go at selling cars but it is something I like doing which is half the battle. Yeah I guess I already know the answer fix the damn car properly and move on

5 minutes ago, MrC said:

Benji is that you?

More coffee coming my way this is getting better by the day.

And regarding the original post, your garage drained the oil on a fiesta thats a first on me, as tradex pointed out a 10 year old could work out a thrust bearing fault  

• Like 1

what your man has failed to tell you is if it is the release bearing then this is hydraulic and the next stage is no clutch

trader i know went to the trouble of saving 10 bob a few years ago and had the clutch but not the bearing done and sold the car,week later it turned up on a transporter so all had to be done again for a $35 part

Sometimes when I log into this forum I feel like I've been diverted to mum's net.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MrC said:

Benji is that you?

Ouch

Hi Marc

Welcome,....However,to prevent another Benjithon could you provide the guys with some basic info to get the picture.Which area do you operate from,are you a home trader (doorstepper),how many have you sold this year,how much are you investing,what was your previous occupation,where do you intend to source your stock and what do you prefer to sell etc

34 minutes ago, sparky said:

Sometimes when I log into this forum I feel like I've been diverted to mum's net.

:lol:

It’s easy, you either fix it or you don’t.

I had a Squeeze Green Fiesta - good luck.

46 minutes ago, sparky said:

bitty 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Hi Marc

Welcome,....However,to prevent another Benjithon could you provide the guys with some basic info to get the picture.Which area do you operate from,are you a home trader (doorstepper),how many have you sold this year,how much are you investing,what was your previous occupation,where do you intend to source your stock and what do you prefer to sell etc

and how much exactly do you have in your pocket at this moment oh and what is your inside leg measurement in inches please:D

• Like 1

We have a Squeeze Green Fiesta. 3 months of advertising already but came cheap enough to hang it out. 

For now

1 hour ago, chief nut job said:

and how much exactly do you have in your pocket at this moment oh and what is your inside leg measurement in inches please:D

What is your anticipated 'footfall' in the 3rd quarter?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Marc

9 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Marc

7 hours ago, chief nut job said:

I've not went down this route on the back of watching Wheeler dealers but to answer a few questions my previous occupation was a sales Rep with mondelez I'm based in Glasgow and trading cars from my home address in Newton mearns, It's a nice area and I'm sure aided me in the past. I have a small pot of 10k and direct access to former nhs cars . In the meantime I bought a couple cars from auction. I can only recall one car I had trouble selling(as a private seller), certainly never had a car take months to offload that said they were usually nice cars and priced to sell. It's a bit different when you need to make a profit rather than hoping and fancying a change of car again.  Personal cars were BMW e90 and Audi TTs and the like but occasionally did have to odd runabout for sale too. The fiesta will be fixed and sold at a loss .

Hi Marc

I think you will be OK at this job.I would say cultivate your NHS contact,that could be valuable.Keep it to yourself and try and buy anything they offer you.What you don’t want for yourself you can trade or auction ( but not in your area or you will lose your contact).You can always describe stuff to the guys on here......Good Luck

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Marc

I think you will be OK at this job.I would say cultivate your NHS contact,that could be valuable.Keep it to yourself and try and buy anything they offer you.What you don’t want for yourself you can trade or auction ( but not in your area or you will lose your contact).You can always describe stuff to the guys on here......Good Luck

i did similar in the 80's but bailed out when i found the  trader was clocking them all and i was in the middle..............,mk2 cavaliers

11 hours ago, RHO said:

We have a Squeeze Green Fiesta. 3 months of advertising already but came cheap enough to hang it out. 

For now

I finally got rid of mine at 3 months once I cut the balls off the price. 1.4 Diesel, 5 door, FSH, 105K (too much for small cars apparently) & had even been cambelted early. Never again, of no f***ing interest to anyone except greedy horrible c***s with no money.

8 hours ago, BHM said:

I finally got rid of mine at 3 months once I cut the balls off the price. 1.4 Diesel, 5 door, FSH, 105K (too much for small cars apparently) & had even been cambelted early. Never again, of no f***ing interest to anyone except greedy horrible c***s with no money.

Will send ours to auction at the end of the month. We have a 12 car package on AT and this is taking valuable space. 

17 minutes ago, RHO said:

Will send ours to auction at the end of the month. We have a 12 car package on AT and this is taking valuable space. 

I have a 7+1 package with AT, so I know your pain -12 in stock average and have ditched Ebay now and also not renewing the Shpock experiment (it was an experiment and I spoke to almost all of Jeremy Kyle's guests)

Ours is 10+2.  We still do eBay for the shitters and it drives us mad but it gets rid of them. 

Had a slippy clutch clutch when it came but we have the garage with 2 ramps, we have another unit down the yard for paint and then the pitch. Can change into different workwear 3 times a day but keeps everything in house..